Pens for the cold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pens for the cold

Does anybody know of any good pens that won't freeze up on you when you're writing in the cold?

Thanks

Originally posted by Orale View Post
    Does anybody know of any good pens that won't freeze up on you when you're writing in the cold?Thanks
    There are none. Use a pencil
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Boy oh boy, one more thing I can add to the list of reasons why I love being a cop in California.

Comment

Originally posted by Orale View Post
        Does anybody know of any good pens that won't freeze up on you when you're writing in the cold?

Thanks
        Fisher space pens. Google them.

Comment

I use the G2 gel pens...I've never had one freeze up on me and it gets plenty cold here in VT!

Comment

Fisher Space Pen in a Zebra hybrid (all metal) body.

Comment

Originally posted by kf4vix82 View Post
              Fisher space pens

Comment

if it's too cold to write...well it's too cold to write!

Comment

Superfine sharpies work well if you carry them in an inside pocket.

M-11
                  “All men dream...... But not equally..
                  Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                  but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                  for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Gel pens tend to do better in the cold but can freeze if you are in sub-zero temps for an extended period of time. I have a Fisher Space pen (the police one), it won't freeze but I don't like the way it writes for normal usage plus they are a bit pricey.

The Uni-Ball Power Tank will do everything a space pen will do for a fraction of the price. Just get one or two of them and keep them in your bag until it gets cold.

Comment

I just use a pencil here in Minnesota.. Gets a little chilly here at times.. Like November thru May..

Comment

I'll add another recommendation for the Fisher space pen. Around $10 on Amazon and it not only writes well into single-digit temps, it even writes on wet paper in the rain. Great tool.

Mine is even TACTICAL. Ok, it's just flat black. But it looks cool!
                        "The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, can not and will not ever harm the sheep." -Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Comment

I don't know that there is a need for a $10 pen. The Pilot G-series pens have been working well for me for over 10 years now. There's the G-2, G-5, etc. The number at the end just differentiates the thickness with which the pen writes. They are available everywhere (Wal-Mart, Target, any office supply store) and the refills are also easy to come by. And they are not $10.
                          Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 3 or 4 times.

M-11

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                            There are none. Use a pencil
                            ^^^^This.

I've had a Fisher Space Pen freeze on me. Multiple times. (It gets that cold here.) I also was not a fan of a) how much they cost and b) how they wrote.

For those rare times I need a pen out in the cold, I used to keep a small bullet pen clipped to the inside shoulder strap on my body armor.
                            Originally posted by kontemplerande
                            Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the space pens but will buy some G2s for now. It's only dropped down to the 30s but my pens still won't work for some reason. Maybe I just use cheap pens.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8878 users online. 275 members and 8603 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X