300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protection Detail Advise

I'm doining my first plainclothes (suit & tie) dignitary protection detail this week. Does anyone who's done this type of assignment have any advise?

Yea, don't drink any alcoholic beverages, pay more attention to those around the subject you're responsible for than the subject himself, use your training, and demand from you agency formal training in dignitary protection.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Formal training in a week is going to hard to come by. I'd go find the capitol police, state police, or who ever does security for the governor and hit them up for advise.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
      (")_(")
      Copy and paste Bunny into your
      signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Nobody is going to get into any of the detailed stuff here for obvious reasons. Check with your DPS dignitary protection folks who can verify who you are and speak less publicly.

One small thinng I will offer deals with meals. Keep them small and try to stay with snacks. If you eat a large meal during the detail you will find yourself getting tired, wanting to dose off and not paying attention.

When we worked events that involved banquets, we always gave our tickets to the locals who helped us out on the detail. They thought we were the greatest guys in the world for giving them our tickets to a prime rib dinner. In reality, they were the ones who conked out a few hours later while we stayed alert because we didn't eat a big meal.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Eat and sleep whenever you can fit it in the schedule and wear comfortable shoes.

Remember, you need to look out for you. Most of the folks that get protection details are oblivious to their security, and won't worry about taking care of you.
          Last edited by LandGuppy; 10-16-2011, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Make sure you understand what the detail is, what the rules are, what you are expected to do. Then when it's over, attend training as you should not be doing this unless you are trained in it.
            Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Pee whenever you have the opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                I'd say that's good advise whenever.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
                (")_(")
                Copy and paste Bunny into your
                signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                  And eat something whenever possible too....
                  Went to Get a Cold Pop

Comment

I worked for the APD. Anchorage being the crossroads of the world, so I did a lot of deplomatic/dignitary gigs.

Best advice. Go EOD, not SWAT. As EOD you don't do anything unless something is found. So you set around drinking coffee and eating donuts with the SS and Forgien Security people. SWAT lays in wait in a snow bank.

There is really nothing to it, just keep your eyes open. Don't go overboard looking the part. Look natural. Forget the Sunglass BS and such. Sunglasses indoors looks silly and sooooo TV.

Be natural. An example, you can look perfectly natural while eyeballing the whole joint. Simply appear to stir at every lady that walks by. Waitresses and such, it perfectly natural and you can cover the whole room

Relax, lighten' up. Forget your concealed gun. People are too self obsorbed to notice, unless your figiting trying to hide it. Hell most people wouldn't notice if you carried a dead skunk under your arm.

Best advice don't watch TV to see how its done, be natural and relaxed. Again no sun glasses and wires in the ear and such.

Comment

Advice for personal pro detail

Watch their eyes. Get in the habit of seeing the eyes of everyone around you as you visually sweep the field. A set of "shifty" eyes can tell you that a person is ready to move and that move could be against your detail. They can also be getting ready to shake hands, but be ready. Keep your sweep going. You may "mark someone as harmless and then the change can occur before you look back. Be constantly aware that a threat can come from anywhere and that you should never exclude the innocuous looking person.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3580 users online. 222 members and 3358 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X