Ad JS

Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LEOSA and Must Notify Officer Laws

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LEOSA and Must Notify Officer Laws

    Some states require one carrying a pistol to notify the officer when stopped.

    How does that affect carrying per LEOSA.

    How do you approach this (if required) without making it look like you are seeking special favors.

    Years past, I carryied a pistol in the glove compartment and twice notified the officer I had a pistol in the glove compartment with the registration when he asked for the Lic. & Reg.

    Both times they asked about a permit, both times I presented my retired ID card. And I beleive both times I got out of a ticket I deserved.

    How do you guys handle this?

  • #2
    Originally posted by kraigwy View Post
    Some states require one carrying a pistol to notify the officer when stopped.

    How does that affect carrying per LEOSA.

    How do you approach this (if required) without making it look like you are seeking special favors.

    Years past, I carryied a pistol in the glove compartment and twice notified the officer I had a pistol in the glove compartment with the registration when he asked for the Lic. & Reg.

    Both times they asked about a permit, both times I presented my retired ID card. And I beleive both times I got out of a ticket I deserved.

    How do you guys handle this?
    We have discussed this in other threads....they usually do not go well.

    I always tell anyone who pulls me over that I have a weapon, where it is, and why I am allowed to have it.

    I dont feel like getting shot by one of my own.
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

    "Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

    "We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

    Comment


    • #3
      LEOSA specifically exempts officers from local laws with respect to carrying firearms. I'm not sure it has ever been applied to must notify laws.
      Originally posted by K40
      To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
      ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

      Comment


      • #4
        I think it's just good common courtesy to notify. Favors or lack thereof have nothing to do with it.
        Today's Quote:

        "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
        Albert Einstein

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
          I always tell anyone who pulls me over that I have a weapon, where it is, and why I am allowed to have it.

          I dont feel like getting shot by one of my own.
          +1

          Comment


          • #6
            The prudent thing to do would be to state you have a weapon promptly in the encounter. What was suggested to me once that I like is, "Officer, I'm carrying an off-duty weapon." That should make some bells ring in the contacting officer's head and go from there.

            Comment


            • #7
              It's always better to yell "I HAVE A GUN" while the officer approaches, that way the know.
              Free Deke O'Mally!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                We have discussed this in other threads....they usually do not go well.

                I always tell anyone who pulls me over that I have a weapon, where it is, and why I am allowed to have it.

                I dont feel like getting shot by one of my own.
                exactly
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by District B 13 View Post
                  It's always better to yell "I HAVE A GUN" while the officer approaches, that way the know.
                  Or if you are the passenger and are angry with the driver, "HE GOT WEED, HE GOT WEED!"
                  Today's Quote:

                  "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                  Albert Einstein

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kraigwy View Post
                    Some states require one carrying a pistol to notify the officer when stopped.

                    How does that affect carrying per LEOSA.

                    How do you approach this (if required) without making it look like you are seeking special favors.

                    Years past, I carryied a pistol in the glove compartment and twice notified the officer I had a pistol in the glove compartment with the registration when he asked for the Lic. & Reg.

                    Both times they asked about a permit, both times I presented my retired ID card. And I beleive both times I got out of a ticket I deserved.

                    How do you guys handle this?
                    I think this is a silly question, but here is a serious answer:

                    All "must notify" requirements I have heard of are part of concealed weapon licensing laws. People who carry under LEOSA do not have licenses, so the requirement would not apply to them.

                    However, as a practical matter, I concur in the other responses.
                    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      We are exempt from must notify laws, but to avoid a diarhea attack with an officer who freaks out at guns, I will let him know, IF and only if, THERE IS A CHANCE he may see mine anywhere near my hand. Otherwise, why lift his blood pressure for no good reason.
                      The All New
                      2013
                      BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                      Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                      - M1Garand

                      (any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)



                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Certainly .... if it's where he might notice it as I reach for a registration & license, I'ld tell him straight up while hands are still up in front of me ....
                        .... not after reaching for my wallet or into glove box.

                        After seeing that guy's reaction up in Ohio .... I might tell him when he walks up
                        "Officer, before you say a word .... I am lawfully armed".

                        "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

                        "Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

                        >>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

                        Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Agreed with the above posters.

                          And as far as 'special favors', unless they have a SERIOUS attitude, any cop I stop gets special favors and will not get a ticket.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hey T150, haven't seen you around in a while. How's it going?
                            Today's Quote:

                            "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                            Albert Einstein

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                              We are exempt from must notify laws, but to avoid a diarhea attack with an officer who freaks out at guns, I will let him know, IF and only if, THERE IS A CHANCE he may see mine anywhere near my hand. Otherwise, why lift his blood pressure for no good reason.
                              Where are you getting that we're exempt from must notify laws? To my knowledge, LEOSA essentially provides right to carry reciprocity across the country, but doesn't specifically address must notify laws.
                              Originally posted by K40
                              To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                              ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

                              Comment

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4770 users online. 244 members and 4526 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X