X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: Scared Cops

marauder85
    Forum Member
    Last edited by marauder85; 09-26-2016, 09:57 AM.

Originally posted by marauder85 View Post
    So my question is, is there really nothing that can be done about these officers? I.
    Quite honestly it is a supervisory problem.

If you (and others) have taken your concerns to supervisory staff and they refuse to do anything about it-------your troubles are a lot deeper than what we can advise.

Guy #1 ----it sounds like everyone knows he is yellow.....................he should be fired not "retrained".
    Guy #2----sounds like he needs a blanket party
    Gal #1----might be out of her comfort area and is the one that might need more training in order to grow.

Just my 2 cents
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I agree that it s a supervision issue, and you should make your concerns known to supervision in writing. Plus a guy with three year on isn't really a vet yet.
      Retired

Comment

[................................
        marauder85
        Forum Member
        Last edited by marauder85; 09-26-2016, 09:57 AM.

Comment

I've been in your shoes buddy, time on the job has nothing to do with the character of a person. I'm a rookie myself (3 years on the job) and I've heard of cops with 18 years on the job stand around scared doing jack ****. Hopefully the majority of officers you work with are on the level, and the few that aren't you kind of just brush to the side. (They're Police Officers, not COPS)

And to be completely honest, it keeps you in check. Makes you want to work out harder, or bike/run that extra mile so you don't get your *** kicked out in the field. That back up might not always be there. Fortunately for me my department has over 30,000 police officers so most of the time back up is within a few minutes.

Comment

we call those types of cops "witnesses". Unfortunately we've more then a few like that here (thank you civil service!).
            recent event comes to mind: violent edp on pcp, taser not working on him, cops getting hurled around,etc... took 5 of us to secure him.
            after the dust settled and the EDP was secured, a cop went lod to the hospital. he's been out about a month now with a fracture (leg/ankle or something) with more healing time still to go...the whole time this was going on, his partner was in the car, so was my partner ( not my reg. - just for the night).
            *shrug* what can you do? now with civil service non-sense and eeo complaints there to protect those who shouldn't be police officers from police work and cops, if you have a talk with the police officer, YOU might end up in a jam...happened to me already once before

Comment

Agree with Iowa 100%.

Supervisory problem.
              Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Originally posted by gunslash View Post
                we call those types of cops "witnesses". Unfortunately we've more then a few like that here (thank you civil service!).
                recent event comes to mind: violent edp on pcp, taser not working on him, cops getting hurled around,etc... took 5 of us to secure him.
                after the dust settled and the EDP was secured, a cop went lod to the hospital. he's been out about a month now with a fracture (leg/ankle or something) with more healing time still to go...the whole time this was going on, his partner was in the car, so was my partner ( not my reg. - just for the night).
                *shrug* what can you do? now with civil service non-sense and eeo complaints there to protect those who shouldn't be police officers from police work and cops, if you have a talk with the police officer, YOU might end up in a jam...happened to me already once before
                You sound like you're from liberal NY. lol

Comment

He is and every agency in the City has them. I found the best place for an Officer like that in the courtroom was unarmed behind a prisoner. That way when the sh*t hit the fan, I wasn't looking for him to back me, I was backing him.

Comment

I have been in your shoes too marauder85...thankfully the brass at the PD has the smarts to cut the guy loose.
                    Every dpt has "that guy"

Originally posted by kxl77 View Post
                    Fortunately for me my department has over 30,000 police officers
                    30K?!?!?!?!? HOLY COW!
                    My dpt is 1/10,000 of your size
                    Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

The only wierd part is that he already made contact alone and had the guy out of the vehicle. We pretty much always wait for at least 2 units on calls with an armed subject. I consider it stupidity not bravery to go in alone by choice. I know things happen and all but it sounds like a training and supervisory issue to me.

If he was a complete chicken he never would have went in alone. So now your left with someone who rushes in and then freezes. That is a really bad combo. I would document the issue on paper since you know it is an ongoing issue. I would not count him as an additional unit, but a citizen to be concerned with until and if things change. If you have to go on calls with him ask for another unit. I would say something about the whole thing to him also. Then I would tell him not to come to a call of mine unless assigned...

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                        He is and every agency in the City has them. I found the best place for an Officer like that in the courtroom was unarmed behind a prisoner. That way when the sh*t hit the fan, I wasn't looking for him to back me, I was backing him.
                        yeah it's a shame how it is, really. Majority of the cops aren't like that, but still sucks that these few are nowadays protected from any form of righteous repercussions from fellow cops.

Comment

Originally posted by NORCOCOP View Post
                          The only wierd part is that he already made contact alone and had the guy out of the vehicle.

If he was a complete chicken he never would have went in alone. ..
                          Facts not in evidence..........

The thug could have left the auto and "taken charge" of the stop.................at which time the officer froze.

I also was taking into account that other officers had told the OP to "watch the guy" so he has to have priors.

There are a lot of things wrong with the scenario listed........................but if the supervisors are not addressing the evident problem------the OP has a whole bunch of other things to worry about .
                          My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Had a rookie recently come out on the streets on our department, watch her FTO get his *** kicked. She was "asked to resign." I guess it's better than nothing, but it still leaves her cert in place, and allows her to go to another department.

At my last department, we had another rookie go through 9 (nine!) phases of FTO. All kinds of issues, including refusing to back up her FTO on a traffic stop, leaving her gun (in her purse) at the supermarket twice, getting "lost"in route to every hot call she got. Admin was terrified of firing her, as she was only the second female officer ever hired by that department. Every FTO on the department had had her, and all of them had reams of documentation on her sub-par performance. all recommended termination. When we all threatened to quit as FTO's, they finally did the "ask to resign, we'll give you a good recommendation." she's now on a larger SO in Florida. I'm still convinced one day I will read about her being responsible for the death of another officer.

The above were in no way stories to bash on female LEO's. I work with GREAT females now. Luck of the draw just has it that my two cowardly cop stories involve females. Hell, there's a female Sgt on my department that ran as a patrolman with me on late shift in the hood that I'd rather have in a fight than 90% of the guys I know

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                              Quite honestly it is a supervisory problem
                              +1000000

That would get handled much differently here.....we have fired more than a few for cowardice......it doesn’t happen often, but it does happen.
                              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3488 users online. 215 members and 3273 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X