X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nuthead
    replied
    Originally posted by DeputySC View Post
    Its NOT uncommon at all for the highway patrol to come up on our channel and ask the county to spare a unit for help on their wrecks because they are 'backed up. Heck, most of the time we are backed up worse then they are but I will still add their call as just another one on our list to get to. I dont have a problem with helping another agencies. But sometimes it gets ANNOYING when its 1-3 times per shift. SCHP works road/highway wrecks and runs radar in their spare time. County/City Police do that AND everything else, so we usually have our hands full all the time.
    That might be a difference in barracks because up in this end of the state, the majority of troopers will stop and at least keep an eye on you if you're on a traffic stop and well wave and/or stop and thank you if you do the same with them. They've also been more than willing to come help us with some big fights at some of our nightclubs and stuff. Every once in a blue moon we might get an ***hat, but mostly, they're all cool and willing to work together.

Leave a comment:

• DeputySC
    replied
    I saw a state trooper on a traffic stop. Nothing else was going on so I casually pull up behind him and get out my car and ask if everything was ok. He asks, "Did I call for your help"? To which I replied no. He said, "Ok your free to leave". So I left thinking what a butthole and remember his call sign.

Its NOT uncommon at all for the highway patrol to come up on our channel and ask the county to spare a unit for help on their wrecks because they are 'backed up. Heck, most of the time we are backed up worse then they are but I will still add their call as just another one on our list to get to. I dont have a problem with helping another agencies. But sometimes it gets ANNOYING when its 1-3 times per shift. SCHP works road/highway wrecks and runs radar in their spare time. County/City Police do that AND everything else, so we usually have our hands full all the time.

One day he calls to ask if a county unit can ride by this certain location to check on a wreck and possibly direct traffic if needed. He explained that they were busy and he was a good ways out. I took him to our talk around channel and replied, "Sure, where are you coming from". He told me. I said, "we are backed on calls to, if you can take a domestic thats been holding for an hour on your way in since your closer, then I will have someone go ahead and work that wreck." All you heard were crickets chirping after that.
    Last edited by DeputySC; 06-21-2011, 10:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• spanky7
    replied
    I will graciously accept backup from any agency at any time. My closest SO backup could quite possibly by 45 minutes away running code. Even so, the closest backup from a local PD may still be 20 away running code. That is what you get for running a county the size of Rhode Island with only 4 full time PDs and 2 part time ones.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by vacop2 View Post
    Let me ask you all this, would you mind say a Dept of VA (Federal) Police backing you up. Now what would you sayy if I told you that it has been stated plain and clear that certain " people " that run the academy would have that VA officer fired for backing up an officer that was being assaulted off VA property
    That's ridiculous, Veterans Affairs Police are Officers with a very limited jurisdiction. If they happen to be driving by while I'm getting my a** handed to me on the side of the road, I'd only be ****ed if they didn't stop. & fired for what, did the VAPO make the traffic stop, cause the fight, or are they showing up on non VAPD calls all the time.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by MDPOLICE View Post
    Reminds me of the "Get out of Darby!!" incident.

not familiar with that incident

Leave a comment:

• options open
    replied
    There was an incident by me not too long ago where a plain clothes county cop was shot by a guy from another agency who was backing them on a gun run. Their PBA came out and said they had no business being there, I didn't agree with that at all.

very unfortunate what happened... guy came up to the scene in plain clothes with an M4, retired cop who happened to be there saw him and yelled "gun!" One cop from the other agency went to grab him, rifle muzzle came up, and his partner shot and killed him.

Leave a comment:

• MDPOLICE
    replied
    Reminds me of the "Get out of Darby!!" incident.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by reils49 View Post
    It's good to know our city and county brothers have our backs...god only we knows we need help sometimes on the back roads and open highways at 0-dark thirty when we're getting our butts kicked. But it goes both ways.... you know how it is when us Troopers roll into town, and we see you guys with a mutt proned out on the pavement at gunpoint and we stop to assist...and then get waved off by a local cop with a hard on for stetsons. In these instances I just take my statewide jurisdiction elsewhere, and enjoy a hot cup of coffee and a burger at the diner. It is what it is.
    Many yrs ago I was sent to an alarm at a farm implement dealer. HUGE building with multiple entrances/exits. It WAS 0-dark-30 and backup was busy on other business.

As I arrived, dispatch advised that a Trooper was nearby and would be assisting................(not on the same frequency) I oked that and went on scene....................expecting to see him as he drove up.......................

As I walked around the building checking doors (gun drawn) I almost shot the poor guy. He had got there just before me and while blacked out drove around to the back of the building to start checking. Needless to say when I rounded the building and saw movement...................the old "freeze or I'll blow you away" type statement slipped out.

The Trooper turned various stages of white, which was interesting due to his race.

We laughed over that situation for nearly 30 yrs until we both retired........................We were both pretty young on that day

Leave a comment:

• bikecop136
    replied
    He is a idiot. Next time you see him, walk right past him. See how he reacts....

Leave a comment:

• reils49
    replied
    Originally posted by SCDetective View Post
    Every once in a while, my agency comes across a rookie trooper with that attitude...it usually subsides after they get their butt kicked one good time on a dark country road by a suspect. After that, they are all smiles when you roll up to back them.

I'm not knocking troopers, they have a tough job that requires a good bit of self-confidence, but there are a few newer ones that forget they are human too. Some of our troopers cover a whole county or two by themselves, with maybe a deputy or two in those counties.
    It's good to know our city and county brothers have our backs...god only we knows we need help sometimes on the back roads and open highways at 0-dark thirty when we're getting our butts kicked. But it goes both ways.... you know how it is when us Troopers roll into town, and we see you guys with a mutt proned out on the pavement at gunpoint and we stop to assist...and then get waved off by a local cop with a hard on for stetsons. In these instances I just take my statewide jurisdiction elsewhere, and enjoy a hot cup of coffee and a burger at the diner. It is what it is.
    Last edited by reils49; 06-09-2011, 09:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• vacop2
    replied
    Let me ask you all this, would you mind say a Dept of VA (Federal) Police backing you up. Now what would you sayy if I told you that it has been stated plain and clear that certain " people " that run the academy would have that VA officer fired for backing up an officer that was being assaulted off VA property

Leave a comment:

replied
    When we're being status checked, don't answer dispatch or nextel then someones coming to check on us. My agency checks on them if the shoe's on the other foot, jurisdiction be damned and we're all happy. Now if an officer has it happen to them too frequently, they'll end up in an office sitting across from someone with stripes and politely be lectured on pulling their head out of their ***. I'd imagine the wonderful person you backed up has a problem with making a mistake and taking ownership of it, so they macho'd up to save face. You did what's right and what I would expect of any cop no matter what the patch say's.

P.S I'm a Deputy

Leave a comment:

• SCDetective
    replied
    Every once in a while, my agency comes across a rookie trooper with that attitude...it usually subsides after they get their butt kicked one good time on a dark country road by a suspect. After that, they are all smiles when you roll up to back them.

I'm not knocking troopers, they have a tough job that requires a good bit of self-confidence, but there are a few newer ones that forget they are human too. Some of our troopers cover a whole county or two by themselves, with maybe a deputy or two in those counties.

Leave a comment:

• nuthead
    replied
    I've been in the reverse situation once or twice - forgot to turn on my walkie when I was out on a traffic stop or call. Having another officer (even from another agency) pull up and check on you because you couldn't be reached is kind of humiliating but also comforting to know that there are people looking out for me. And the humiliation was strictly my own fault.

Leave a comment:

• Sackett
    replied
    All this talk about backup!?!?!?! Did Dirty Harry ever need backup??????

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4474 users online. 255 members and 4219 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X