300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kind of mad at another cop

The other night a neighboring department's DUI unit was on a traffic stop about half a mile from where I was, in my jurisdiction. Dispatch calls him multiple time but he doesn't answer. He also doesn't answer other units calling him on the radio or his cell, so other cars start his way. Dispatch gives him location out on the main channel and asks if any unit is available to check on him. Closest SO unit is about 5 minutes away normal driving, maybe 3.5 if going code, while I'm less than 1. I did what I think most of you would have done and responded to his location immediately.

I get on scene, find he's 10-4, just didn't have his radio up enough to hear over the drunk he was hooking up and left his phone in the car. I tell dispatch he's good and let him know they were trying to raise him. First thing he says to me is 'who are you with? why are you here?' (my dept is small, but most other cops can at least ID our uniforms and/or patch). I stay till another car shows up, which happens to be the sgt. I tell her I was around the corner and knew they had been call him for a while, so I came since I was so close. She said cool and appreciates it, so I went about my marry little way.

Today, I come in to work and hear from two different people that the DUI officer had ran into my chief (one said he came to the office, other said it was 'just around') and started b----ing about me. Apparently he told the chief I have no business going into his jurisdiction or trying to back him up since he can handle himself. Now I'm ticked off. I understand it's not my jurisdiction (though I work for a state agency) but it's not like I was working traffic or trying to tell him what to do. I showed up, made sure he was good, and left when one of his units got there. If I knew someone went out of their way to make sure I was good, esp when I'm not answering my radio, I would say thanks and not try to make trouble for them for being a half mile from their primary jurisdiction and 1/8 from their concurrent.

I'm not going to call him out on it or try to say something to his sgt next time I see her, but I guess I just needed to vent a little. Funny thing is, he's not the only one in his department that has the 'you're not a real cop unless you wear brown' attitude.
    Originally posted by Ceridwen
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Let the stars and stripes handle it. With the info you gave us it sound like a no-brainer.
    Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

Originally posted by dontknowwhy View Post
      First thing he says to me is 'who are you with? why are you here?'
      My next comment would have been "10-8"

Sounds like a Richard Head to me.

Karma has a way of taking care of attitudes like that in time.

I would stop in and see your chief.............see where it goes
      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 06-04-2011, 07:50 AM.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

How does he know your chief, but not know your department?

M-11
        “All men dream...... But not equally..
        Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
        but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
        for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Had the same thing (for the most part) happen to me when I was working part-time for a small rural City PD back home.....but mine has a spin to it......

I'm working one night when a County Deputy goes out on a traffic stop about 2 miles outside of town in a nature area. He stoped answering his radio when the Dispatcher did a status check about 10 mins into his stop.....

I was the closest one to him...... The other Deputy on that night was about 10 mins out....and a Trooper was over 15 mins out......

I flipped on lights and headed to where he called out at.....

I get to the nature area and pull up behind him..... with lights still on....

Idiot Deputy was standing outside his car, smoking a cig, talking to the guy he pulled over. Apparently they were long lost friends and he didn't realize it when he pulled him over..... And since they hadn't seen each other in a while....they were talking about God only knows what.... and he wasn't listening to his radio......

He asked me "WTF are you doing here?" and I replied "Turn up your F'ing radio.....they've been trying to get a hold of you for the past 5 mins or so you F'ing moron!!" He must have not liked the way I talked in front of his buddy I guess......

I go 10-8 and advise he's fine......and finish out my shift.....not talking and/or seeing dip**** the rest of the night.......

Fast foward 3 days later when the Chief calls me at home (I lived in the City and worked a County next door Full-Time as a Deputy) and asked me to come in and see him.....nothing major...but come in sometime today.....

I go to the PD later in the afternoon to see him......and he asked me about what happened at the stop. I tell him what happened (See above).

He then proceeds to tell me some bizzaro tale that the Deputy was spinning about what I did on scene....and the Sheriff was ****ed......and wanted my *** over it.......

Apparently, dip**** Deputy cried to the Sheirff who cried to the Chief that I showed up without being called out there....slid into the parking area sideways with my lights/sirens going.....rolled out of my patrol car with my shotgun.....racked a round..... and started screaming and yelling at his buddy to hit the deck.......and that he was scared that I was going to shoot them both......

I asked The Chief if he had pulled the tape or if the Sheriff had listened to the audio (all the radio traffic was recorded). He said he hadn't pulled the tape yet because he had other stuff to do and it wasn't on the top of his to do list (he didn't/doesn't care for the Sheriff but they have to play nice to make things work because its a rural area) and he had no clue if the Sheriff had listened to the radio traffic......

I tell him to hold that thought, go to the patrol car (Part-Timers had/have their own car), grab the tape, bring it in, foward through it till I found the stop, and played it for him.....

As luck would have it, it was as I had stated......

The Chief smiled as he watched the tape......then pulled it from the machine....and headed over to the SO.....with tape in hand.....and cursing underneath his breath....as he headed out the door.....

Dip**** got 2 weeks off (unpaid) for lying to the Sheriff and eventually got fired for doing the same thing to a Trooper he didn't like about 6-7 months later.... Said Trooper had recorded that incident on tape as well.......

A few months later, dip**** had got hired at by another small SO......then got fired about a year or so later for having a Full Order of Protection filed against him by his ex-wife.....who he got into a verbal agument with....then whipped her *** good because it apparently seemed like the thing to do at the time......

MSHP arrested and tossed him in jail till he was able to post bond.....

All charges were dropped later because she declined to prosecute.....

MO POST found enough evidence that a crime in fact did occur....plus.....having a Full Order of Protection is in violation of POST Regulations......so they yanked LEO License away from him for good......

I've heard through the grapevine he's doing sheet rock now for a living......
          Last edited by Bearcat357; 06-04-2011, 08:45 AM. Reason: spelling issues

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
            ............................I showed up without being called out there....slid into the parking area sideways with my lights/sirens going.....rolled out of my patrol car with my shotgun.....racked a round..... and started screaming and yelling at his buddy to hit the deck.......and that he was scared that I was going to shoot them both......
            Sounds exactly what you would do ............................I can understand chief calling you in ..........
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
              Sounds exactly what you would do ............................I can understand chief calling you in ..........
              Not to say that I haven't done that before......but as the video clearly proved.....I didn't do it that time.....

Comment

I wouldn't have made you come in on your off time, though. Either one of us could stay a little late to talk. Back when I worked for a county PD, back in the days before handhelds, we stopped a car that fit a rape broadcast, not exactly, but close enough for the stop. The old siren boxes used to have "whelp, yelp, manual, and radio" on them . You would switch it to radio and the air traffic would come out the siren speaker. Ours didn't work. After about 10 minutes, just like your incident, the county put out that they couldn't raise us. man County cars, a couple undercover narc units, and 2 suburbs showed up. A little emabarassed, but appreciative of the response. A round of "Thanks guys" and "No problems" and we were good. (BTW, the stop was the offender).

Comment

I've heard through the grapevine he's doing sheet rock now for a living......
                  So he gets paid more than us and gets weekends off now?

Damn Karma...

M-11
                  “All men dream...... But not equally..
                  Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                  but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                  for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                    I wouldn't have made you come in on your off time, though.
                    That particular Chief is a great guy.....to the point I keep him well supplied in Kona Coffee....

Plus, I lived in town. It is around 2500 people or so......so its not like it was out of my way to go see him......

He did buy me lunch later on because he got to zing the Sheriff good..... Mexican place in town is some good, cheap eats.......

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                    The old siren boxes used to have "whelp, yelp, manual, and radio" on them
                    Holy Crap.....you must be as old as Iowa.... as I remember that type of siren box.....when I was a kid.....

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                      My next comment would have been "10-8"

Ditto! If he kept going, then I would have said loudly, "He's OK, he didn't have his radio up enough and he forgot his cell phone in the car." Then I would invite his partners out for coffee.
                      Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post

Holy Crap.....you must be as old as Iowa.... as I remember that type of siren box.....when I was a kid.....
                        The first squad car I rode in had an old MANUAL ELECTRIC siren

I helped the officer wire his new ELECTRONIC siren as a senior in high school

(Just like the one I had in MY first patrol car too..................
                        Last edited by Iowa #1603; 06-04-2011, 09:47 AM.

Comment

dontknowwhy and bearcat357: obviously, both of you backed-up a couple of jack-a r s e s, especially you there b357. dnw, as long as your boss is not upset, f' the other officer, and now he owes you WAY more than just a coffee!
                          #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                          Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                          RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                          Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                          "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo View Post
                            especially you there b357.
                            At least with mine..... the old saying what comes around goes around.....and he got it good for being a dip****....

Comment

I hate when cops get mad at small departments.

I work in area with four smallish cities (department sizes 5-30 officers) practically on top of each other.

We are the second biggest and some of my coworkers will occasionally flip crap to officers from the two smaller departments when they come help out. Personally I could care less. We are all cops here, I know hiring standards and training is pretty uniform for all cities, no biggie, nothing to sweat. Heck I imagine in less then 10 years we will all either be with the Sheriff's Office or a combined PD anyways.

Anyways, speaking of unwanted help, I have a buddy who had an incident with a nice twist on that. I once worked for a really small PD with only one on at a time. He stopped a car across the county line (just barely, I mean we are talking 100 yards) it's not uncommon since that PD borders county line. The driver had a felony warrant so my buddy requested backup. The Sheriff's Department who dispatches for us sent one of their deputies. The deputy drove to the location, noticed it was across county line and just turned around and left. He advised over the radio that they don't respond to calls out of county.... I've never forgiven that agency for that. Buddy played for me that dispatch audio, so I know it did happen.

Most cops are decent enough people. But some really do catch the "my department is better than your department" bug.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3996 users online. 233 members and 3763 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X