300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CVPI electrical bugs...

What is the deal with these things? I have an '11 and just turned 20k miles last night. I lost my radio and it does nothing but play static. Prior to this, it would randomly switch to some Mexican AM station at random. I cannot work without tunes.

I checked the antennas on the rear glass and everything is plugged in like it's supposed to be. Is there a fuse or something that I need to look for? I really don't want to have to drop this thing off at fleet to get a pool car for an unknown amount of time.

My 07 that I had before this had electrical issues too and the radio would randomly change channels and volume would get super loud or shut off completely. It's nice to know that Ford seems to be using a stock pile of refurbished parts in brand new cars.

Am I the only one?

When I had my '05, the radio volume would increase and decrease on its own. I have a '10 now and I haven't had any problems yet (knock on wood).
    Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the sons of God. - Matthew 5:9

Comment

The '06 I was driving had a dash light lit that I have never seen before. They sent it off to Ford and they didn't even know why it was lit. It was a picture of a fire with sprinkers on both sides... LOL any one get this before???

First time I saw it and recognized the picture to be a fire I nearly crapped my pants and abandoned the vehicle.

Comment

My 07 was actually a good car. It was retired at 90k miles mainly because it needed $3000 worth of work on the front end. It was eating tie rods.

This 2011 has stalled on me twice so far. No reason why and no engine light. It just shut off while rounding a corner.

Maybe a fuze is blown? I haven't checked yet. I'm not really in a position to right now. I dont own an IPOD because apparently I still live in 1995. So, I dug out two 27lb books of CDs from 15 years ago and threw them the seat to sift through tonight until 0200. Looks like its Dave Matthews night.

I'm also just now realizing that my CD collection is rather amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by mp1161 View Post
          The '06 I was driving had a dash light lit that I have never seen before. They sent it off to Ford and they didn't even know why it was lit. It was a picture of a fire with sprinkers on both sides... LOL any one get this before???

First time I saw it and recognized the picture to be a fire I nearly crapped my pants and abandoned the vehicle.
          ROFLMAO...you owe me a keyboard...how 'bout some warning next time.

Comment

My 09 does the same thing with increasing the volume at random. I sometimes get a lot of static, but I think its caused a lot by my dash cam interfering with it. Also, when I turn the engine off, gett out of the car, and close driver's door, the lights blink sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by SCDetective View Post
              ROFLMAO...you owe me a keyboard...how 'bout some warning next time.
              Lol. Better yet I'll take a pic next time I see it, if we don't retire the car.

Comment

Originally posted by twoseventysix View Post
                When I had my '05, the radio volume would increase and decrease on its own. I have a '10 now and I haven't had any problems yet (knock on wood).
                I was going to say the same thing! And my '10 does it......

Comment

I've had the radio volume go way up on its own occasionally in almost every CVPI I've driven since I started (2003-11 cars). It's 'normal' to me. Might be all the equipment in the cars...?
                  "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not" - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Our CVPI's are possessed!!!!! At least thats what I thought until I read everyone else has the same problem with their radios, LMAO! Good ole Ford's. At least the newer ones 2007 and up don't have the steering issues like the 2006's did. It felt like manual steering going around a corner in those hunks of junk.
                    " The Beatings will continue until Morale Improves "

Comment

A professional equipment installer should be able to troubleshoot this with ease. A few things to consider: (Don't answer tho please, unless you feel comfortable with that info going public etc)

Where are the antennas in your CVPI located?
                      >What kind (nominally) of wattage do your mobile radios use?
                      >Do you notice these errors immediately after you start the car, or after driving a bit?
                      >Do you notice these errors while the car is stationary or moving?
                      >Have you noticed any electrical anomalies while keying up your mic?
                      >Where inside the vehicle are your mobiles installed?
                      >Does your vehicle have any electronics located in, what is to your experience, unusual locations? (perhaps for stealth or concealment purposes)
                      >Who makes your cameras? L3? Are they wireless?

Here's what I'm thinking:
                      >The CVPI you're using may have wires running from your mobile to antenna that come way too close to the harness for your AM/FM radio.
                      >Your AM/FM radio was not tested well against EMI (electro magnetic interference) caused by your high-wattage mobile(s).
                      >The individuals who installed your radio may not have grommeted or protected any wire-on-metal contacts as well as possible, and when you accel. or decel., the worn-down sections of the wire(s) come in contact with your grounded vehicle, causing shorts etc.
                      >Any wireless equipment, including cameras and MDT linkups, can interfere with poorly made equipment that is inadequately shielded against interference.

In short, it's probably not a fuse, but a combination of interference(s) caused by inadequate testing by an installer, or a lack of consideration for what those high-powered radios and equipment in your vehicles can do.

Fortunately, Ford is one of only a handful of companies, formerly in the Ford family, that actually tests standard equipment and options against high levels of EMI. If they didn't, you might have your airbags, power steering, or ABS going off/turing off when you key up the mic or install that new camera and wreak havoc with those delicate sensors.

Comment

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Comment

try checking the trunk and see if they still have the antenna amplifier (even in-window versions had it but don't know about 2011 model). the amplifier needs power so could be fuse for that.

a lot of the other problems were related to heat not getting out and the units shutting down. made worse by all the other police stuff added. i expect that spring/summer temps will bring out the demons again.
                          "Did that hurt? It looked like it hurt"

Comment

Originally posted by mp1161 View Post
                            Lol. Better yet I'll take a pic next time I see it, if we don't retire the car.
                            i think that's the fire suppression system they added after a bunch of cops were burned. gear in the trunk ruptured the fuel tank and caught fire. suppression systems were added after lawsuits. i wouldn't drive it if that light is on.
                            "Did that hurt? It looked like it hurt"

Comment

Originally posted by NJLAWMAN214 View Post
                              At least the newer ones 2007 and up don't have the steering issues like the 2006's did. It felt like manual steering going around a corner in those hunks of junk.
                              Holy crap! I thought it was just my car! That, or I'm actually a mediocre Superman and right hand turns are my kryptonite...
                              Originally posted by Ceridwen
                              Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7068 users online. 362 members and 6706 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X