300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Investigation kit?

Ok, I need some help. I have been tasked by the boss to get info on and possibly start buying the items needed for an investigation kit. Problem is, I am not, nor have ever been, an investigator. Plus, the dept has never had one before since we are growing for the first time (had 4 Officers in January, now have 9) and just starting to send people to these courses. Can you guys tell me what all is needed for an investigations kit? So far all I can come up with is finger print items, a good camera, measuring tapes and rulers, and maybe portable lighting. As I said, I need help!
    Originally posted by Ceridwen
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Magnifying glass

Pipe

Sword Cane.

That's all you need.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Sent ya PM, hope they let you spend some money...
      It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
      Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

Sterile swabs

Distilled water (you can get them in little disposable containers)

Gloves

Shoe covers

Flashlight (both a low power and high power)

Paper bags (various sizes)

Plastic bags (various sizes)

Plastic jars (various sizes)

Teflon capped glass jars

Evidence markers

Elmer's Gel School Glue

Forensic scales (don't use standard rulers for photography)

Graph paper

Carpet knife

Razor knife

Evidence tape

Crime Scene Tape

Logs (entry, photographic, evidence)

Permanent markers

Pencils

String (large roll and bright colored is nice)

Hmm, that's all off the top of my head. I'll check my kit later and see what I missed. If you have any questions as to WHY certain items are on the list, send me a PM and I'll fill you in.
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
          Magnifying glass

Pipe

Sword Cane.

That's all you need.

M-11
          Damm, someone beat me to it...
          Went to Get a Cold Pop

Comment

My kit contains (but is not limited to) LOT of paper bags, a few plastic bags, garbage bags, some flat brown paper, cameras (video, digital AND film), lots of film and batteries, more paper bags, a box of rubber gloves, position markers (mine are just numbered cardboard you can set up over a piece of evidence, although nice plastic ones are commercially available), more paper bags, evidence rulers, tape measure, long distance tape measure, more paper bags, some Vics, and a cigar.

The cigar is for just before going into a stinky scene (to deaden the smell/taste) and the Vics is for just under the nose for the same reason.

Comment

Originally posted by dontknowwhy View Post
              Ok, I need some help. I have been tasked by the boss to get info on and possibly start buying the items needed for an investigation kit. Problem is, I am not, nor have ever been, an investigator. Plus, the dept has never had one before since we are growing for the first time (had 4 Officers in January, now have 9) and just starting to send people to these courses. Can you guys tell me what all is needed for an investigations kit? So far all I can come up with is finger print items, a good camera, measuring tapes and rulers, and maybe portable lighting. As I said, I need help!
              Different circumstances (and capabilities of your department) could require different tools. Is your department large enough to work large crime scenes, or do you call a large PD/SO/GBI? I'm an investigator and the only "kit" I have is a crime scene bag with some of the basics SRT396 mentioned, however, my agency does handle crime scene processing. If you're just making a basic kit for non-crime scene processing you probably only need a print kit, various size bags and evidence tape, camera, note pad, pen and whatever report forms your agency uses.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimble View Post
                Different circumstances (and capabilities of your department) could require different tools. Is your department large enough to work large crime scenes, or do you call a large PD/SO/GBI? I'm an investigator and the only "kit" I have is a crime scene bag with some of the basics SRT396 mentioned, however, my agency does handle crime scene processing. If you're just making a basic kit for non-crime scene processing you probably only need a print kit, various size bags and evidence tape, camera, note pad, pen and whatever report forms your agency uses.
                +1.

I carry enough supplies to process most basic crime scenes, but I'm also a detective and evidence technician. Our patrol guys carry a camera, a very basic fingerprint kit, and a handful of evidence bags. If we have a major crime scene or a large, complex scene, we call in the Crime Scene Unit van that has everything from Alternate Light Sources to chemicals to castings.
                Originally posted by kontemplerande
                Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

I'm not trying to be a jerk - although sometimes that comes naturally - but every time we've gone to an introductory investigation skills course, the course includes a handout of some sort on what makes the ideal 'kit' to be a field success after you take the class, be it evidence recovery, arson, forensic photography, whatever. It seems to me that all of the classes include a wonderful 'ideal kit' list that you can build on.

The OP might get a jump start if he can contact the course coordinator or lead instructor for the courses he is, "...just starting to send people to..." and see if he can get a 'recommended tools' list prior to taking - or sending folks to - the class. At the very least, check with the academy that offers such classes and see if they have a 'recommended materials' list or are even willing to part with a student package before your agency can send anyone to the course.

I think it is absolutely awesome that his department has been able to grow so substantially in these times. There is a ray of hope out there!
                  The opinions expressed here are from the individual only and do not represent the view of any agency that the poster may be affiliated with

Comment

For most scene's a camera, print kit, ABFO scales, and evidence bags will more than do the job. You would need quite a truck to haul everything you might ever need. Various containers for evidence of different types and sizes can usually be carried in enough quanity without overloading your car. Your asking a question that has a thousand right answers and theory's.

Comment

I've been an investigator since '97 - so here is my .02:

If you do the scene processing, you will need more equipment than if you have a CSI type unit.

That said, get the basics (as previous posters have stated):
                      BASIC KIT:
                      paper bags, plastic bags, big garbage bags.
                      PPE, good rubber gloves
                      Simple print kit, (throw out the roll tape and buy hinge lifters)
                      Digital camera, video camera, small audio recording device, note pad
                      Measuring tape, Sharpie markers
                      Forceps (for picking up non-delicate small evidence)
                      A binder to keep important forms/ documents (ME forms, statement forms, consent to search, etc)
                      GSR kit

More Advanced to also include:
                      Dental Stone (for casting foot prints / tire impressions
                      Hair spray [no alcohol type] (to beef up above in mud/ snow)
                      Evidence markers
                      Gel lifters
                      Metal detector
                      Upside down spraying spray paint

Of course, always have bug spray (Off) and hair spray for your arms (a great poison ivy shield), and a cigar and vics rub for your nostrils.

Once you have the basics, and as you work with other investigators, you will find what you want and what you need.
                      A lot of the stuff we use can be bought at walmart instead of paying 100 times as much from forensic supply places.
                      SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                      SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2641 users online. 145 members and 2496 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X