Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know what I'm going to do but what would you do?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know what I'm going to do but what would you do?

Out of curiosity...

I bump in to a fellow that is on a neighboring department. This fellow, 15 years ago, was caught impersonating a State Trooper. He impersonated for approximately 6 months. His dad was a trooper at the time, so the event got swept under the rug and no charges were filed. The fire department he was working for at the time fired him as they believed him to be a trooper but did not fully conduct a background investigation.

So I see him the other day at this department fully aware of who he is and I ask "Where do I know you from?" He gets that sick look on his face and says "I don't know you. I've been on this department for 2 years, maybe that's where you know me from?!?"

I'm told he's one of the best officers they have and he's "very well liked"

...would you smoke him?
    This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Eh...honestly, probably not much to be done about it.
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

At this department if you lie on the BI you will be terminated. He had to lie to pass the BI.
      This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

Impersonated for 6 months???

hahahahaha

Yeah, I'd share.
        All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

How did the BI not pick up on it, especially since he was fired? And possible charges considered? Maybe they just looked the other way due to his dad's service and swept it under the rug, like you said.

I'd give the guy a wink to let him know I know what's up but probably would leave it alone. Especially since I don't know the circumstances of his hiring process.

Comment

Chances are that if the "impersonation" was swept under the rug, there will be no official documentation on it and therefore nothing to prove the impersonation ever happened.
            MDC BLE 270

Comment

I'd let it ride. If he's a good cop now and there is nothing officially on his criminal history that kept him from getting hired then I don't see a problem. You don't know what his current department knows or what he put on his application. What are the odds that anybody from the FD is going to remember all of that stuff 15 years later? It's certainly possible but highly unlikely. The time to act on it was 15 years ago when it happened. Since nobody did I'd sat let the guy be.
              Be dangerous, and unpredictable... and make a lot of noise. - John Bush, Anthrax

Comment

I would drop a dime. If he is legitimately on the new department and is as good as you believe, then I am certain the agency will take that into account. However, the first thought that came into my mind was: "I wonder how he managed to get where he is? Did he falsify his application? Did he allude to other issues, such as training and education, to get where he is? and, is he really a cop at the agency?"

Too may factors of the unknown. Drop the dime and let the agency figure it out. Jf he is legit, good. If not, even better!
                Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by Georgetime View Post
                  I'd let it ride. If he's a good cop now and there is nothing officially on his criminal history that kept him from getting hired then I don't see a problem. You don't know what his current department knows or what he put on his application. What are the odds that anybody from the FD is going to remember all of that stuff 15 years later? It's certainly possible but highly unlikely. The time to act on it was 15 years ago when it happened. Since nobody did I'd sat let the guy be.
                  Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                  I would drop a dime. If he is legitimately on the new department and is as good as you believe, then I am certain the agency will take that into account. However, the first thought that came into my mind was: "I wonder how he managed to get where he is? Did he falsify his application? Did he allude to other issues, such as training and education, to get where he is? and, is he really a cop at the agency?"

Too may factors of the unknown. Drop the dime and let the agency figure it out. Jf he is legit, good. If not, even better!

I would feel comfortable agreeing with either of the above routes.

I actually doubt that I would bring up a situation that happened 15 yrs ago that never got to the criminal charges condition. People DO sometimes change and are able to rehabilitate their reputation.

If the "impersonation" involved stopping young girls etc........or something that really set off my perv detector I would revise that decision.

Your call............................you have the facts not us.
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                    If the "impersonation" involved stopping young girls etc........or something that really set off my perv detector I would revise that decision.
                    I think it's a safe bet that stuff like that went down...

Outright impersonation -- not merely being a whacker -- is a reflection of deeper issues imho.
                    All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Shake him down for all he's got! heh

Seriously, i guess it all depends on what you feel like you can be comfortable with. Do your spidey senses still tingle? If so then dime him out. If not then pffft.......

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14 View Post
                        I think it's a safe bet that stuff like that went down...

Outright impersonation -- not merely being a whacker -- is a reflection of deeper issues imho.
                        I don't disagree................but those facts are not in evidence.

The OP doesn't detail the "impersonation"---many times the terms impersonation and whacker can be (and are) used interchangeable..........with the whacker telling other he/she is a cop..thus technically making them impersonators but not necessarily pervs.

I would want more info before dropping a dime................the OP has that info and I don't blame him for not disclosing that info. But I wouldn't make a decision without that info.
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Uh... no, I'm not going to sell out a fellow cop for something that happened in 1996.

Especially since his department might know all about it

Comment

I wouldn't drop the dime on him based on the facts we do have. If he was around 19 when he was playing cop back 1996, the 34 years old he would be now is a different person.

Maybe he was part of a Volunteer Fire Department. Can you be fired from a volunteer position? Could he legitimately say he was never fired from a job on an application?

Unless he was doing some shaky stuff when he was impersonating, I'd give him a pass.
                            “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

Have you just asked:

"Hey man, How did you get past the BI when you got smacked for impersonating a cop back then?"

He might have an answer.

I used to get:

"Hey, how did you get into OSI with all those fights on your record."

"They were looking for a fighter."

"Oh, OK"

Seriously, just be up front and ask him. If it's no big deal, he'll tell you. If it is, you own him.

M-11
                              “All men dream...... But not equally..
                              Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                              but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                              for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3145 users online. 171 members and 2974 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X