300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting down small animals

I'm curious to know if anyone's department issues a .22 for the purpose of putting down smaller animals. The other day I was dispatched to a groundhog that had gotten run over but was still alive. When I got there, it's back and legs were crushed and it was clearly suffering. I got the order from my sergeant to put it out of its misery, but the only weapons I'm authorized are my .45 or shotgun. I did what I had to do, but I felt a little silly as obviously a .45 is slightly overkill for a rodent. How do you guys typically handle these calls?

The deputies around here usually have a 22 for taking care of small animals.
    They are usually personally owned.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

This may sound cold, but..................stepping on them will compress their lungs and stop their heart. A lot safer than a firearm and just as humane.
      "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

We have a silenced .22 for things like that. Pretty handy out in the sticks where I am. Even been known to pop deer in the head with it.

Comment

No .22 at my town gig however we do have a .410 shotgun that does the trick when we need to put down a deer. For anything smaller we generally just use our glock 40 cal.
          "Massachusetts it's NOT All here!!!!"

Comment

----IfASDADSADAD
            Last edited by ELINT; 05-24-2011, 12:58 PM. Reason: AS
            Bring on the FOE

Comment

.22 works well.

Talk to your chief or commanders. It's only $100 bucks for a cheap .22. I don't see why they would object to it.

Some of our guys have .22 pistols that are perfect if you need to finish off a raccoon, cat, ect. They keep them in their bags. I guess if things really go south, it is a last resort weapon also.

Comment

Tell them noone loves them, or they are adopted...

M-11
                “All men dream...... But not equally..
                Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                  Tell them noone loves them, or they are adopted...

M-11
                  Classic!

You could also try telling them their fur isn't as trendy as the other animals.....

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                    The deputies around here usually have a 22 for taking care of small animals.
                    They are usually personally owned.
                    I usually toss my marlin 22 in my truck just in case I had to take care of rabid skunks or anything.
                    Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

I dunno about all this 22 j***, but I can tell you a well-placed 30-06 turns an injured prairie dog into a fine mist - instantly.
                      The All New
                      BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                      Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                      - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Most of the citizens out here would go absolutely freaking insane if we even thought about shooting a wounded animal in the LA City limits......they even yell at the animal control officers to take the poor, wounded skunk ect to the vet.
                        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

eh I give them a bonus point for recognizing it's not a black and white kitty...
                          All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post
                            This may sound cold, but..................stepping on them will compress their lungs and stop their heart. A lot safer than a firearm and just as humane.
                            The left front tire will do it faster.
                            Oh, and snakeshot for my .38
                            Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post
                              ^^^^This.

It also doesn't attract as much attention as a gun going off....
                              Originally posted by kontemplerande
                              Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3431 users online. 175 members and 3256 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X