300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Resource Officer

Maybe this has been posted before but I was unable to find it. My department just posted a posistion for school resource officer. I was thinking of putting in for it so I would be able to go to school at night and finally finish up my degree. I just was wondering some opionons for those who have been SRO's on the good and the bad. also i was wondering what the daily routine and duties were for the SRO.
    Last edited by newguync; 05-21-2011, 09:56 PM. Reason: I can't type

Being an SRO is a good job, but it is designed for a certain type of officer. I have not done it full time, but i have filled in at 4 of the schools in my county on different occasions. It is gonna be different from anything else you have ever done. You aren't dealing with adults, they are all kids, and the way you deal with them is different than the way you would deal with adults. Also, you are basically on your own. Meaning, you don't have other officers with you, it's like being on an island.

Some guys at my dept love it, others try it out and hate it. You will do more juvenile petitions than you can imagine. And the schedule is not as great as you would hope. You get assigned to football, basketball, baseball games, school dances, prom, PTA meetings. The money is good, lots of overtime, but it is not a job I would choose.

If you think you want to try it, go for it. But I wouldn't suggest taking the position just for the schedule. Most likely, if you take the position, you will have to stay for a certain amount of time.

Comment

It is less work, better schedule, and less stress then being on the road. But less room for advancment in rank and less 'police' experience. Being on the road you will still get plenty of experience in juvenile petitions and taking kids in to emergency protective custody. You deal with same children and same problems just on the street instead of at the school.

The school admin now a days is very skiddish of the students. So you will find yoursef doing the jobs of the principle, assistant principle, and especially the guidance counselor. Good luck.
      Last edited by DeputySC; 05-22-2011, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeputySC View Post
        The school admin now a days is very skittish of the students. So you will find yourself doing the jobs of the principle, assistant principle, and especially the guidance counselor. Good luck.
        This, and not to mention a lot of their drama! Oh, and I fixed it for you.
        What are we going to do tonight? Same thing we do every night! TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!!

Comment

Don't count on having the support of the Principal, faculty, or parents. You may have it, you may not.
          Be courteous, Be professional, Have a plan to kill everyone you meet

Comment

I'd view such an assignment as punishment...
            All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Where do you have to attend games and what not? When we had our SRO"s, budget cuts go figure, they worked Mon thru Fri 0730 to 1530, weekends off. It is an excellent position to take to go to school and finish your degree and spend time with your family. You will get alot experience working with juveniles and also will have a chance to interact and guide them before us patrol officers deal with them. I would take the opportunity if I were you, do it for a year or two and move on.
              " The Beatings will continue until Morale Improves "

Comment

I went from being a teacher to being a police officer, and at the time I thought I wanted to be an SRO. I ended moving on to a natural resource agency before an opening ever came up. They had it made though. They were funded in part by the PD and in part by the school district. They got spring break and Christmas break off as well as weekends and the other off-days of the school year, but had to come in an work four, ten hour shifts at the PD during the summer. They rotated weekends as well. When their five hour day was over and they had to remain at a school function they could choose to receive overtime or comp time from the PD or overtime from the school district. They all took school overtime because it was far superior than the PD. When I was there when I had to work over I always chose comp time because I valued time off more than extra cash, but they didn't really need extra time off because they all got their usual weeks off and all the extra time off when school was closed.

Comment

What it isn't, is a joke.

Get current on active shooter training, gang training, and crisis intervention training. Not to mention SRO school, which in my state is a certification unto itself.

Comment

I enjoyed being a SRO, but I also put a lot of time into it. I enjoyed interactions with the kids and got to work a lot of different schools from HS to elementary and alternative. The biggest challenge is trying to keep the principal happy and the PD happy. This is tough because they both have totally different goals and ways to acheive those goals. We also worked every special event such as Mardi Gras parades, HS sporting events, etc.
                    Geaux Tigers

Comment

I think, like any other specialty position in an agency (and being a LEO in general), it takes a specific type of person. I am not that person. Upmost respect for those that can, but I just can't....no support from admin, dealing with parents that don't care, NC's juvenile system in general is defunct, the immaturity of the children (which IS to be expected)...I just can't do it...I have three kids of my own to raise and I'm not raising anyone elses I understand the draw for you to go...being able to finish school...but our SRO's are the ones stuck at games after hours and it doesn't seem they get as much time off as a road officer. In the summer, our SROs still work M-F handling our summer daycamp for kids. Noooo way.
                      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                        In the summer, our SROs still work M-F handling our summer daycamp for kids. Noooo way.
                        ... I should add CRUEL and UNUSUAL punishment to my original post...
                        All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

We have a large SRO division, as we are a large parish with 6 cities and we provide the LE at every middle and high school in the entire parish (county), city and unincorporated. IMO, they all seem to be RODS, I agree with the job that it's like a punishment. I would never put in for it. The principles try to dictate what you do legal wise, you have to put on your kid gloves, you can't lock them up unless they committ felonies (no room in juvie, all booked up), they know you can't do much to them and they exploit it. Get firm and parents are whinning and ready to get activist on line one. So actually ROD's are perfect for the job, here anyways. Here they don't put anyone in schools that don't want to be there, but if they made me, I honestly would quit and go to one of the city PD's since they don't cover the schools the S.O. do.
                          Last edited by creolecop; 05-30-2011, 07:54 PM.
                          Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

Love it....Fri/Sat/Sun off...all holidays off and get all the training I want in the summer. I have an office with internet, tv and privacy! I love being on a campus because its much easier to work on my masters! Get all my school work done during down time!

Now everybody is right about admin but if you know how to deal with them, and thats not like a cop, you will be fine. Its a different world working on a HS campus because you have to treat people different since you will see the same people everyday...gotta work with your knuckleheads more than if u were on the street...its you and 3000 kids!

Comment

Originally posted by LAschoolCop View Post
                              Love it....Fri/Sat/Sun off...all holidays off and get all the training I want in the summer. I have an office with internet, tv and privacy! I love being on a campus because its much easier to work on my masters! Get all my school work done during down time!

Now everybody is right about admin but if you know how to deal with them, and thats not like a cop, you will be fine. Its a different world working on a HS campus because you have to treat people different since you will see the same people everyday...gotta work with your knuckleheads more than if u were on the street...its you and 3000 kids!
                              I like your response LA I think it takes a different type of officer to work as a RSO. I was just hired as one and what attracted me to the position was the fact you get to make a difference in young people's lives that later may benefit other officers when they interact with them. I also love the hours and the OT pay you receive during the school year.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6428 users online. 368 members and 6060 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X