300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17yrs old in your state??

Any other states have their adult age set at 17 besides ours? Here once you turn 17 you are considered an adult. That means big boy jail, no more juvie probation and all that j***, time to play in the major leagues. This helps us alot because 17 is usually the unruly juvenile age, and we all know dealing with juveniles is hard to do unless they commit murder it's hard to do anything to them, but here at 17 it's easy because they are an adult and we just march their little ***ez right on into jail, no calling mommy, not notifying anyone (they usually are begging to call their mom, I shut the door and tell them to call themselves after they get booked in).

FYI, for you guys who like'm LEGAL but young, yes, 17 is the age here that makes them LEGAL.
    Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Originally posted by creolecop View Post
    FYI, for you guys who like'm LEGAL but young, yes, 17 is the age here that makes them LEGAL.
    17 is legal in those terms in Iowa also...
    However 18 for everything else but drinking alcohol and that is 21.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

17 also in Missouri

It was funny when I worked full time in Missouri. We would get high school kids trying to act all big and bad.... then the look of shock on their face the first time they stepped in County Detention and had to sit down next to a 36 year old harden meth addict. Always made me LOL.

Adult age is 18 in Kansas. It is sort of obnoxious dealing with 17 year olds, then having to treat them like a juvenile. Especially considering I was still 17 while attending Army Basic training.

Comment

Any other states have their adult age set at 17 besides ours? Here once you turn 17 you are considered an adult. That means big boy jail, no more juvie probation and all that j***, time to play in the major leagues. This helps us alot because 17 is usually the unruly juvenile age, and we all know dealing with juveniles is hard to do unless they commit murder it's hard to do anything to them, but here at 17 it's easy because they are an adult and we just march their little ***ez right on into jail, no calling mommy, not notifying anyone (they usually are begging to call their mom, I shut the door and tell them to call themselves after they get booked in).

In GA, 17 is old enough to be charged and housed as an adult, but can also be charged with status offenses, or as a juvenile as well.

The age of consent in this state is 16, like it or not. (not).

Comment

In Michigan........17 he's a keeper.
          "Lay there and bleed awhile before you feel some real pain."

"Have a cup of coffee, a pall mall, and relax!"

Comment

It's 17 in Texas too, but it's still unclear to me if a 17 year old is a runaway or just a person who has left home. The Code of Criminal Procedure and Family Code have different feelings on what is a juvenile when it comes to being entered as a runaway. CCP says under 18 is child, meaning that you can discipline until they're 18. Our dept. doesn't list a 17 year old as a runaway, but we'll list them as a missing person if we don't know where they're at. If we can get a hold of them or come about their whereabouts, we don't list them as missing. But we don't make them come home.

Little off topic, but that's my trouble with a 17 year old.

Comment

16 can be charged as an adult in N.C. that solves a lot of problems.

Comment

18 is the age Canada-wide that a person is considered an adult re: violations of the Criminal Code (a grab-bag of violations, enacted by the Federal Government, but administered and enforced by the Municipalities, Territories and Provinces - convoluted, but we get by, sort of!) and Federal Statutes (immigration, drugs, customs, revenue (tax) and excise (alcohol, tobacco)). NO ONE, not even a parent, however, can be told by LE Agencies what, if any, action was taken against a person over 18, per Federal privacy legislation.

12 is the age Canada-wide where a person becomes a Young Offender pursuant to the Federal Youth Criminal Justice Act, and can be charged with a CC or FS offence, but must be handled differently (special forms, parents AND a lawyer can be present when interrogated).

I am not absolutely sure about other Provinces and the Territories, but in Saskatchewan, 12 years old is the age where a "client" can be charged with a Provincial Statute (traffic, hunting, fishing, liquor) offence, but if they are not yet 16, their parent or legal guardian MUST be informed of the charge (verbally, or provided a copy of the ticket. 19 is the age in Saskatchewan to consume, purchase and / or possess alcohol legally - some other Provinces, particularly Alberta, you can drink at 18. I was never sure whether I could, or could not, advise anyone else, particularly a parent, about the actions I had taken against a 16 to 18 year old (i.e.: ticket, even if from a collision), so followed Federal legislation and said I could not due to privacy concerns. That USUALLY made the parents VERY interested in their child!

Regarding missing person / runaway, Saskatchewan considers a 16 year old ALMOST able to be on their own, so we COULD grab-and-drag-home, but they can also apply for Social Services assistance to live on their own.

Under 12 years old "clients" can NOT face ANY charges in any jurisdiction in Canada. In Saskatchewan, we would deal with them with the assistance of the Provincial Social Services workers.

Let me point out that **I** no longer have to worry about this kind of crap, but it was fun doing this paperless exercise!
                Last edited by PeteBroccolo; 05-20-2011, 09:09 AM.
                #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by Camelspider View Post
                  In Louisiana you CAN BE charged as an adult at 15 but thats reserved for serious crimes normally involving death. I'm referring to an adult for ALL criminal offenses to include the smallest of misdemeanors, if you are 17 and you get arrested you go to adult jail that night no court hearings to determine if one is moved to adult court or stay in juvenile court, Juvie court here ends at 16. So in NC a 16 yr old is considered 100% an adult legally? or just in some instances? If it's 100% an adult I'm all for that. These criminals are getting younger and younger and more brazen and bold therefore they need to be cut down to size earlier.
                  Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

In SC 17 is adult. Age 16 is the de facto age of consent as Committing or attempting lewd act upon child under sixteen 16-15-140 the victim must be under 16. It’s 21 for alcohol, and 18 to vote.
                    Last edited by Magic Matt; 05-20-2011, 02:27 PM.
                    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by Camelspider View Post

Wow. I bet it does.

Comment

16 in NYS. Straight to jail; do not pass go, do not collect $200.

17 is the age of consent.

-V

Comment

17 is a keeper here also. Almost want to send out birthday cards to some just to remind them we know it's "game on".
                          Good.........bad..........I'm the guy with the gun - Army of Darknesssigpic

Comment

In Louisiana you CAN BE charged as an adult at 15 but thats reserved for serious crimes normally involving death. I'm referring to an adult for ALL criminal offenses to include the smallest of misdemeanors, if you are 17 and you get arrested you go to adult jail that night no court hearings to determine if one is moved to adult court or stay in juvenile court, Juvie court here ends at 16. So in NC a 16 yr old is considered 100% an adult legally? or just in some instances? If it's 100% an adult I'm all for that. These criminals are getting younger and younger and more brazen and bold therefore they need to be cut down to size earlier.

Younger than 15 'can be' considered adult depending on the charge here. 16 is flat across the board in NC, be it a traffic misdemeanor, to drugs, to fraud, to fights and everything in between. 16, you go to jail. Period. It's LOVELY.
                            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

17 is automatically an adult for criminal purposes.

10 to 17 can be waived into adult court if they committed any of the following offenses: (1) first-degree intentional homicide; 2) second-degree homicide; 3) reckless homicide; and 4) battery to a guard in a secured detention facility.

14 year old's can be waived into adult court for sexual assault, car jacking or armed robbery.

15 is the age for all other offenses.

Also, once a juvenile has been waived into adult court for any offense, they are considered an adult for all future offenses.

The Wisconsin Supreme Court just upheld a life without parole sentence for a 14 year old out of Green Bay.
                              Originally posted by kontemplerande
                              Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6944 users online. 360 members and 6584 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X