X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama Skips Police Week, Hosts Controversial Rapper

Obama Skips Police Week, Hosts Controversial Rapper

May 15, 2011 |

President Obama skipped the events of National Police Week in D.C. this week, instead hosting a controversial rapper at the White House who has praised a convicted cop killer.

On Wednesday, the White House hosted a poetry night with a performance from Common, author of the work, "A song for Assata," in dedication to Black Panther Assata Shakur, who was convicted for the 1973 slaying of New Jersey Trooper Werner Foerster.

Earlier in the week, Fraternal Order of Police National President Chuck Canterbury sent a letter expressing his "profound disappointment" with the invitation and followed it up with a phone call reminding President Obama's staff that National Police Week is "a time to honor law-enforcement officers for their service and sacrifice."

Obama did not attend the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund's candlelight vigil Friday evening. He also skipped the Peace Officer's Memorial Service on Sunday on the West Front of the U.S. Capitol.

President George W. Bush attended the Peace Officer's Memorial every year except one.

President Obama spoke at the National Peace Officer's Memorial in 2010.

http://www.policemag.com/Channel/Pat...ntent=FaceBook

Ef him. I'd rather him not show up and be all fake in front of those who protect and serve as well as their families.

Comment

Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
      Ef him. I'd rather him not show up and be all fake in front of those who protect and serve as well as their families.
      Screw that Marxist loving communist heathen. I agree.

Comment

Should we expect anything else?
        "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

I am a bit surprised. He doesn't support LEOs, but attending Police Week could have helped him in the polls. Maybe he was afraid of being booed.
          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
            I am a bit surprised. He doesn't support LEOs, but attending Police Week could have helped him in the polls. Maybe he was afraid of being booed.
            He was in 2010 when he spoke at the memorial....

Comment

I honestly do not see too much of an issue with it—would i have rather see him there? Yes, but he is trying to run a country. I think people may be viewing the perceived sleight through the lens of their political persuasion, millions of our own colleagues couldn't make it to police week this year either, including me, but it doesn't mean that we don't support the profession.

Secondly, i think the rapper Common is anything but controversial. He is one of my favorite artists and I intimately know the song that they were referring to. He wrote the song after reading a book and he was so touched by the author's plight that he wrote a verse. By no means was he advocating cop killing nor was he implying that the verse was an exhaustive forensic study into the incident. He simply read a civil rights era book about one side of the story and rapped about what he read. I love our profession, it is honorable and selfless, but anyone who says that our profession was always this way, and was above reproach during the civil rights era is ignoring the mountains of historical data to the contrary.
              Never ask a man if he served in the Marine Corps! If he earned the title "Marine" he will tell you, if he didn't, there is no need to embarrass him.

Comment

Originally posted by Re-Birth View Post
                I honestly do not see too much of an issue with it—would i have rather see him there? Yes, but he is trying to run a country. I think people may be viewing the perceived sleight through the lens of their political persuasion, millions of our own colleagues couldn't make it to police week this year either, including me, but it doesn't mean that we don't support the profession.
                I take issue with his disrespectful shun. I've been to Police week and have been very involved with LODD as an FOP Chaplain and have interacted extensively with widows and families of fallen officers of my PD through an annual local event on May 15th to honor and remember their loved ones. I'm very passionate about this issue as it effects so many in a negative way from the department/agency, friends, community, state and lastly and MOST importantly in my opinion, the families of our fallen hero's. This is where I take issue with the potus snubbing these people who have traveled from near and far for healing, support, remembrance and even sometimes closure. This man who took an oath to defend the constitution has a duty to use his office to honor these hero's who died defending the very same constitution. If he did have something so pressing and of vital national importance to cause him to miss, that's one thing, but to decline the National FOP President's invitation for any other reason is pitiful.

Was the walk from the WH to the Capitol building too much for O? I don't know enough about the rapper, poet or whatever he is to comment on the invitation but again, the potus can find the time to honor this man's rapping/poetry accomplishments but can't do the same for our brother's and sister's who gave all and their families?!?! No matter what the sitting president's party affiliation or accomplishments or lack thereof, having the person who holds the highest office in the land, the commander in chief speak on May 15th helps those who are dealing with the loss of a LEO with their bereavement. Thanks again for nothing president O.
                Last edited by ASR62; 05-16-2011, 12:04 PM.
                "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress."
                John Adams

Comment

Obama did not attend the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund's candlelight vigil Friday evening. He also skipped the Peace Officer's Memorial Service on Sunday on the West Front of the U.S. Capitol.
                  Give Obama a break, I'll bet he didn't show up because he wasn't invited.
                  Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Originally posted by OneAdam12 View Post
                    Give Obama a break, I'll bet he didn't show up because he wasn't invited.
                    "Earlier in the week, Fraternal Order of Police National President Chuck Canterbury sent a letter expressing his "profound disappointment" with the invitation and followed it up with a phone call reminding President Obama's staff that National Police Week is "a time to honor law-enforcement officers for their service and sacrifice."

http://www.policemag.com/Channel/Pat...ntent=FaceBook

He was invited. The president is invited every year.
                    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress."
                    John Adams

Comment

Wonder if Holder showe up.....?

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                        Wonder if Holder showe up.....?
                        Looks like he attended the candlelight vigil on Friday and spoke.

Attorney General Eric Holder Speaks at the 23rd Annual National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Candlelight Vigil
                        Last edited by ASR62; 05-16-2011, 12:50 PM.
                        John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by ASR62 View Post
                          I didn't know since I didn't go this year.... Nice to see at least someone from Barry's Regime showed up....

Comment

He didn't attend all the events of Police Week, but he did honor Police Officers at the White House this week.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and...ion-s-top-cops

But yeah, he probably hates cops.

Comment

Originally posted by Code6Chuck View Post
                              but he did honor Police Officers at the White House this week.
                              Along with pro-sports teams, college sports teams, and a rapper that suppports Cop Kilers......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4215 users online. 226 members and 3989 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X