300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anbody successfully worked a nationwide Craigslist scam

Without revealing some of the tactics that the bad guys in my particular case are using publicly, I am working a case where a local business has had their checking account compromised. The unknown suspect is posting Craigslist ads for "work at home" type jobs and asking people who respond to e-mail their personal data in an "application". They then send forged checks through multiple respondents and on to the final person in the chain who cashes the checks and Western Unions them the money, only to be left holding the bag when the bank figures out the check is bogus. The bad guy even left a phone number, but it's not an actual cell or landline number you can trace (don't want to give any ideas so I won't say what it is here). Has anybody worked, or know someone who has, successfully solved one of these. Based on the email exchanges with the victims, I'm smelling Nigeria in this... I really would need USPS to help out on it but don't even know who to call on it. Any suggestions, I'd appreciate a PM.
    Be dangerous, and unpredictable... and make a lot of noise. - John Bush, Anthrax

PM sent. Hope it helps.
    Originally posted by kontemplerande
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

It's amazing the amount of work someone will put into scamming someone. I continue to lose faith in the human race.

I've taken a few craigslist type scam reports. I'm always amazed at how the victims fall into these traps.

Comment

Generally these people are offshore. They use Western Union because you don't need an ID to pick up the cash...only a control number. And there are Western Unions on every corner of the planet.

When I've worked the front desk, I've taken these reports. I usually take a report and then politely and tactfully break the news to the victim that their money ain't never comin' back and that the suspects will likely never be caught. I hate having that conversation.

Comment

Yes, I got this little old lady to send....oh, wait, never mind!
          This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6300 users online. 337 members and 5963 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X