300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negotiating Salary

I have recieved a tenative offer for another agency and with that the agency asked for a salary requirement. The position is under a payband and as such, Iam assuming they will want to negotiate salary with me. The starting for the position pays about 49k and tops out around 75k. Im assuming that I can negotiate towards something in the middle?
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

I always put negotiable on my applications. It's one thing to say what you want on a piece of paper, and quite another to discuss in person.
    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

What ever you make right now should be your low point to start at. I would hope you are trying to make on the high end of that number, as living in the metro area is difficult on 50K.
      " The Beatings will continue until Morale Improves "

Comment

Whatever the contract says.
        Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by stormz5192 View Post
          Whatever the contract says.
          No contract
          I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Ask for top step. Go down from there. Never start at the bottom if you have the chops to be paid for your experience.
            Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Rule one for negotiating is your opening bid caps the window. What I mean is if the range is 50-100, and you ask for 75, you're not negotiating for 75, you're now negotiating from 50-75.

Be sure to have a justification for maximizing your salary. Experience, training, etc. Find out what the people who get promoted to the next pay band have to achieve to get promoted. If you are already there in terms of experience and training, you're in a much better position to get the maximum starting salary.

Remember, you already got the offer. Now's not the time to back down or you'll spend the next several months or years trying to get where you could have been.

That being said, there's no need to play hardball and act like you're going to walk from the offer. As long as you can justify your position, they will have to allow you the salary you deserve.

Comment

Not sure how that works all our salarys are difined in our contract. You might want to talk to the union president there to see what he thinks or has seen in the past. You dont want to **** off the people you are gonna work with.

Comment

If it happens to be the Federal Payband system being used in place of the GS system, I can tell you that they will most likely ask for bonafide proof of your current salary and then make you an offer of the same amount (including LEAP if applicable), and not budge for a penny more.

If your current salary is less than the entry-level salary, they will bring you in at the entry-level, but they won't offer you anything above that unless you are currently making more.

If not Fed, then I'm of no help to you...

-V

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6582 users online. 358 members and 6224 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X