Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About to get laid off, again, for the second time in less than a year...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to get laid off, again, for the second time in less than a year...

I have skipped the 'denial' stage of grief and moved directly to 'anger'.

Brief timeline of events

May 4th, 2009: Begin police academy. Six months of training making 10.50/hr
    October 30th, 2009: Begin law enforcement career as a sworn police officer
    January 11th, 2010: Laid off before finishing probationary period
    January-November: Deputized as a 'Special Deputy' and picked up odd jobs as a security guard with arrest powers
    November 29th, 2010: Returned to work from layoff status
    March 18th, 2011: Completed probationary period
    April 27th, 2011: Informed of impending layoffs affecting approx 120 officers and the current academy class. The recruits in the academy now will supposedly be allowed to graduate with their OPOTA cert, but will not be sworn.

It's time to relocate.
    Last edited by Danny216; 04-27-2011, 06:06 PM.
    The only time you can have too much ammunition is when you're swimming or on fire

Texas isn't laying folks off (well very few). And the weather is better.

Comment

That's too bad.

Ok you are certified.................you are off probation...............take your ball and go find a place to work.

You will find something somewhere. You don't have any bad marks against you ---just bad luck.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Wow that's some rotten luck Danny.
        If Ohio and Texas isn't your cup of tea, try northern New Mexico. Albq, Santa Fe, Hobbs, are always recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny216 View Post
          I have skipped the 'denial' stage of grief and moved directly to 'anger'.

Brief timeline of events

May 4th, 2009: Begin police academy. Six months of training making 10.50/hr
          October 30th, 2009: Begin law enforcement career as a sworn police officer
          January 11th, 2010: Laid off before finishing probationary period
          January-November: Deputized as a 'Special Deputy' and picked up odd jobs as a security guard with arrest powers
          November 29th, 2010: Returned to work from layoff status
          March 18th, 2011: Completed probationary period
          April 27th, 2011: Informed of impending layoffs affecting approx 120 officers and the current academy class. The recruits in the academy now will supposedly be allowed to graduate with their OPOTA cert, but will not be sworn.

It's time to relocate.
          Take a look at federal employment. There are job postings for federal agencies, although starting to get fewer on the list. But they are out there, amarillo and corpus christy VA hospitals have postings for police officer.
          GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

I started applying elsewhere the moment I heard about the possibility of layoffs (about a month ago). Something is bound to come through... one thing's for sure: I am done with this jacked up city and most likely the State of Ohio as well.

Many of the Fed jobs will have to wait, I won't have my Bachelor's for another year. Now I'm even applying at colleges and hospitals. I figure if I can get on with a college, maybe I can get a discount on tuition for graduate studies.

Surprisingly, I am not completely depressed yet.
            The only time you can have too much ammunition is when you're swimming or on fire

Comment

I started applying elsewhere the moment I heard about the possibility of layoffs (about a month ago). Something is bound to come through... one thing's for sure: I am done with this jacked up city and most likely the State of Ohio as well.

Many of the Fed jobs will have to wait, I won't have my Bachelor's for another year. Now I'm even applying at colleges and hospitals. I figure if I can get on with a college, maybe I can get a discount on tuition for graduate studies.

Surprisingly, I am not completely depressed yet.
              Only depends on the pay grade for the college degree. Check with Bureau of Indian Affairs police, they hire without the degree requirement. Are u a veteran? If you are a veteran use your veteran prefence for applying to some of the jobs. U.S. Capital Police hire at a GS-3 (no experience at all) for $55,000. You could probably get 4 with 1 year police experience. VA Hospital New Mexico is hiring GS-4 so you could qualify for that one.
              GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Originally posted by GIOSTORMUSNRET View Post
                Only depends on the pay grade for the college degree. Check with Bureau of Indian Affairs police, they hire without the degree requirement. Are u a veteran? If you are a veteran use your veteran prefence for applying to some of the jobs. U.S. Capital Police hire at a GS-3 (no experience at all) for $55,000. You could probably get 4 with 1 year police experience. VA Hospital New Mexico is hiring GS-4 so you could qualify for that one.
                Thanks for the info, I was not aware of these.

Comment

Keep your head in the game brother. If you're willing to relocate and keep your options open, you will be fine. I would also recomend looking into the USA Jobs website.
                  I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Baltimore is hiring. You would have to go through the academy again but we are definitely hiring and looking for a lot not just a few.
                    Neither a Republican nor Democrat, both parties are hopelessly flawed.

RIP to all my fallen brothers and sisters in blue I hope one day I can live up to your legacies because you live forever in my mind.

To anyone non-LEO don't get it twisted. Us officers may disagree on politics, sports, and any other issue but we will always be brothers and sisters at the end of the day and have each others back. To think otherwise is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by MeBPD View Post
                      Baltimore is hiring. You would have to go through the academy again but we are definitely hiring and looking for a lot not just a few.
                      Thanks for the info. What's the hiring process like?

Comment

Sorry to hear that Danny. Always remember, when one door closes on you, many more will open up ahead.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the info. What's the hiring process like?
                          There is a two day process for out of towners like yourself. It took me about 6 months to get hired here.
                          Neither a Republican nor Democrat, both parties are hopelessly flawed.

RIP to all my fallen brothers and sisters in blue I hope one day I can live up to your legacies because you live forever in my mind.

To anyone non-LEO don't get it twisted. Us officers may disagree on politics, sports, and any other issue but we will always be brothers and sisters at the end of the day and have each others back. To think otherwise is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by MeBPD View Post
                            There is a two day process for out of towners like yourself. It took me about 6 months to get hired here.
                            That's not bad at all, it took almost 3 years to get on with Cleveland...

Comment

Like the above posters said, you have your certification and some experience. Get your butt out of dodge and go some place that is financially stable.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5697 users online. 333 members and 5364 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X