Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pacop161
    replied
    You guys get updates from your DA's Office?! Wow, I wish we had that. In fact, sometimes I wish someone would send updates to our DA's!

I generally subscribe to a few newsletters. PATC and ILEETA are two of them. I also get one for cases specific to PA, www.papolicecriminallawbulletin.com. A few of these organizations publish quick reference guides and such that you can purchase to use on your own. I'm probably going to end up doing this as our department gives very little information about case law to us.

Leave a comment:

• GIOSTORMUSNRET
    replied
    FLETC has a monthly magazine Law Enforcement Enformer they put out with Supreme Court and circuit court decisions. They also give analysis on the decisions too.

http://www.fletc.gov/training/progra...n/the-informer

Leave a comment:

• USMARINE
    replied
    Instant Email updates from the Ohio Supreme Court

Leave a comment:

• Feb2nd1979
    replied
    The DA in my county sends out videos everymonth with current case law decisions. We just watch them in briefing.

Leave a comment:

• SHU
    replied
    check out this website http://www.justia.com/
    It has a ton of information and links to just about anything fed or state.

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    replied
    Originally posted by Orale View Post
    Yes we have a co legal source book too. Excellent resource. But it only
    contains info up to the date it was published, which was long ago (I got it in the academy).

Suppose I want case law that has been put out after that?
    CA State DOJ also puts out several updates to the CAPOLS each year via paid subscription.....10 updates a year I believe.....

Leave a comment:

• Seventy2002
    replied
    I subscribe to a mail lists run by the Willamette University law school that provide Supreme Court and 9th Circuit case summaries. The Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission publishes a monthly legal digest.

Leave a comment:

• Smurfette_76
    replied
    NC sends out an email (if you are on the list) reference relevant case law at all court levels in NC. As far as SCOTUS, I do that myself and use lexisnexis.

Leave a comment:

• oneoldcop
    replied
    One of the best sources you will find. There are banners on both sides, be sure to check them out.

http://www.patc.com/

Leave a comment:

• SCDetective
    replied
    Here in SC, the state academy issues a training video and bulletin every year covering relevant case law on the state and federal level.

We also have a law library close by, and the workers are very helpful at helping find info. Don't know if that is an option for you.

A good rapport with an ADA is also handy...ask them what you are looking for and maybe they'll help you. Most of them keep current on controlling case law.

Leave a comment:

• Orale
    replied
    Yes we have a co legal source book too. Excellent resource. But it only
    contains info up to the date it was published, which was long ago (I got it in the academy).

Suppose I want case law that has been put out after that?

Leave a comment:

• bigcitypolice06
    replied
    Point of View legal update from Alameda County DA is pretty good. Our DA (LA County) puts out a one minute brief monthly too.

http://le.alcoda.org/publications/point_of_view/

I read both monthly and tend to be a little more up to date than half of my supervisors....both tend to be CA specific though...

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    replied
    Check to see if your states' DOJ has something along the lines of CAs 'Peace Officers Legal Sourcebook'

Leave a comment:

• M1garand
    replied
    Time to time I get information from Law & Order and few other magazines.

Have you tried ILEETA?

Leave a comment:

• Orale
    started a topic Staying current on case law

Staying current on case law

What do you guys use to stay current on case law? Is there a specific website that will have everything for LE? Is there a magazine?

I'm trying to stay on top of my game when it comes to new case law knowledge. I used to have lexisnexis as a student, but that is only good if you know what case you are looking for.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6424 users online. 365 members and 6059 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X