300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wakin' up the Judge...

So it's the middle of the night and we have a major crime investigation underway, and our investigator determines we need to get a search warrant. Due to the circumstances, we did not want a Magistrate (who are 24/7 here) to sign off on it. One of our supervisors ends up calling and waking up a Superior Court Judge, and they actually go by his house and have their hearing in his living room. Never been involved in that before so I thought it was pretty cool, as they said he was happy to see them. You guys ever had to wake up The Man for a search warrant or anything?

A few times, met one out on the golf course once for a search warrant, they don't mind as they view it as part of their job
    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Used to do it all the time.

Our court system had an on call system so the dispatcher just paged the on call judge.

We then went to his house........................usually by the time we got there he was awake and and the coffee on.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Judges around here don't care. I get the feeling they sort of like it, makes them feel important.

Comment

One of the judges here has a brother on a local PD. In fact, sometimes the cop brother stops by, uses judges computer, prints, judge signs, and away they go.

Comment

Yeah, here in the people's republic of NJ, you do NOT WAKE up a superior court judge for a search warrant unless it is a leaky bag of you know what where time is of the essence.. IE homicide, etc. Gotta love liberal states!!! NOT.
            " The Beatings will continue until Morale Improves "

Comment

Common place here. Actually, I think more often than not it seems to be after hours for me. Just the luck of the draw I guess.
              "I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand; particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go" - Battalion Chief John Sullivan, FDNY

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!" - Rev1

"If you reload like old people [email protected], then you need to be behind something that stops bullets." - Blackdog F4i

IGNORE = since9, justme001, opencarry, bsd13, asullivan, okjoe, Patrick Sander, CJ616

Comment

We do it all the time for blood search warrants. municipal court judges; we fax it to them. We have one district judge and we just go by his house. An officer brought the prisoner over there one time to get one signed. LOL We have a sign in the report room now that says "DON'T BRING YOUR PRISONER WITH YOU TO JUDGE SOANDSO'S HOUSE".

I always thank them for being on call.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post
                  A few times, met one out on the golf course once for a search warrant, they don't mind as they view it as part of their job
                  +1. I would like to add it's usually the states attorney's office that does the whining when they are woken up.
                  Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

There is always a judge on call here. They are on a rotation, and the on-call judge carries a county-issued cell phone that dispatch contacts him or her on. The on-call gets called at least once or twice every evening/night for emergency protective orders, and occasional search warrants.
                    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I had to do it once so I could send a 13 yo armed robbery suspect and his 11 yo partner to YDC. The judge called me on my cell to give me directions (guess he got the number from dispatch), told me to have a seat on the couch, read the report, signed, and offered my a bottle of water and said good job.

Now that I think of it, that was the first time he read my report before signing in a while. that was one good thing about small town policing, the judge knew those who always made good cases and treated us well.
                      Originally posted by Ceridwen
                      Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

One time only...

During a massive flood destruction situation I desperately needed a superior court judge for an RO. The on-call judge absolutely refused to take the case...going so far as to ask me, "what are you going to do about it?" My response was to personally call the chief justice of the NH Supreme Court. He gave me 30 seconds to tell why I had called him. He took the call and then said, "I am NOT pleased". After letting me sweat bullets for an hour or so he actually called me back and told me he wasn't upset that I had called him, rather he was angry that we HAD to call him. That guy walks on water from my viewpoint. But that ain't a resolution you use more than once per lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by Thin Blue Line View Post
                          So it's the middle of the night and we have a major crime investigation underway, and our investigator determines we need to get a search warrant. Due to the circumstances, we did not want a Magistrate (who are 24/7 here) to sign off on it. One of our supervisors ends up calling and waking up a Superior Court Judge, and they actually go by his house and have their hearing in his living room. Never been involved in that before so I thought it was pretty cool, as they said he was happy to see them. You guys ever had to wake up The Man for a search warrant or anything?
                          Why didn't you want the on-call magistrate? Here, a magistrate's warrant is the same as a judges warrant.
                          Originally posted by K40
                          To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                          ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

We will use a Magistrate if its for a dope seach warrant or something of that nature, but for a homicide, rape, or any other major crime, it is standard to at least get a district court but preferably a superior court judge to sign it. Then there is very little chance of the search warrant getting challenged.

Comment

Do it frequently. I type up the warrant with an affidavit and fax it to wherever the judge happens to be (we have a list of home numbers for the county judges) the judge reads and signs it or not and away you go o serve it.

We also have a hotline for emergency DVPs. Call the hotline and a judge from somewhere in the state calls you back on your cell phone. You read the facts of the case and the judge say yes or no and tells you which boxes to check and to sign the form. 2 minute phone call.
                              Last edited by major g; 04-19-2011, 01:47 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6321 users online. 337 members and 5984 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X