Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Day

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1st Day

    Tomorrow morning I start a temp. assignment to the detectives unit, any last minute advise?

  • #2
    My pappy used to say, "Better to have people think you're a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

    Keep your mouth shut and your ears open. Use spell checker.
    Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

    Comment


    • #3
      Gain 60 pounds, grow a goatee and talk about how much better it was when you were on the road. Clear one case a month. Show up at 9:00 am, spend the first 2 hours talking about what you did the night before, spend the next hour talking about where you're going to lunch, go to lunch for 2 hours. Come back to the office, return 3 phone calls, write a case supplement that says "attempted contact, unsuccessful." Spend the next 3 hours talking about how great it is to be able to wear khakis and a polo shirt to work. Go home and repeat the next day.
      Originally posted by K40
      To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
      ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

      Comment


      • #4
        ^ hahahahaha your my hero

        Comment


        • #5
          Rule #1: Learn how to ignore smart *** remarks from jealous road cops who didn't put in for a detective slot.
          Be dangerous, and unpredictable... and make a lot of noise. - John Bush, Anthrax

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by PtlCop View Post
            Gain 60 pounds, grow a goatee and talk about how much better it was when you were on the road. Clear one case a month. Show up at 9:00 am, spend the first 2 hours talking about what you did the night before, spend the next hour talking about where you're going to lunch, go to lunch for 2 hours. Come back to the office, return 3 phone calls, write a case supplement that says "attempted contact, unsuccessful." Spend the next 3 hours talking about how great it is to be able to wear khakis and a polo shirt to work. Go home and repeat the next day.
            It is only a temp assignment.......................do all of that .


            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

            My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks for the advise, although I'm going to pass on the gaining 60 pounds tip.

              Comment


              • #8
                Talk to dirt bags, all the time. As much it might pain you, be nice to dirt bags. Detective work is an information driven business. Without info, you won't make cases. I've made more cases on Joe Dirtbag calling me up and saying "Hey, So&So is bragging that he's got a bunch of computers for sale."

                Find a guy in your unit who knows what he's doing and making cases. Tag along on as many field excursions as you can.

                Ask questions of the guys who will answer them.

                Don't let a case with active leads sit. Be aggressive and track down those leads. Get creative.

                Take copious notes. Write down EVERYTHING no matter how trivial you might think it is. You'd be amazed how often one little tidbit of info will suddenly be a major piece of the puzzle once more facts comes in.
                Originally posted by kontemplerande
                Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

                Comment


                • #9
                  If you don't own one already, buy a pastel colored sports coat.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by just joe View Post
                    If you don't own one already, buy a pastel colored sports coat.
                    If you DO own one already, what the F for? Turn in your man card!
                    Originally posted by K40
                    To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                    ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Being organized as a Defective is different than that of a road officer. Get business cards and give them out like candy. People will call you, usually when it benefits them, but you need CIs. You don't have to be a dick to those you arrest because today's suspect will want to help themselves out tomorrow. Some people are exceptions. Don't forget where you came from. If a road Officer is going to get stuck with your prisoner or on your crime scene while you're writing a SW, then TELL them what's going on. Note everything. Every call. Every message left. Everything. It's been my experience, people complain more on Detectives than road Officers (for different reasons). I have a checklist that I use and I put it in the front of every case I start. I'm more than willing to send it to you (as well as a death investigation checklist) when I get back to work if you think it'll help (it's helped me bunches). Send me your work email addy and I'll get it to you as soon as I go back to work.
                      sigpic

                      I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

                      Comment

                      MR300x250 Tablet

                      Collapse

                      What's Going On

                      Collapse

                      There are currently 6390 users online. 341 members and 6049 guests.

                      Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                      Welcome Ad

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X