300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grass greener?

Has anybody changed departments and relocated to another state, and once they started working there said to themsevles, "wow this sucks, this was a horrible idea."

The reason I ask is because I might have an opportunity coming quite soon to relocate to another state (wamer too!) and leave the PD I'm quite comfortable at right now.

The grass is rarely greener. It just might be a different shade.

Everyplace has is pros and cons ----I know a lot of people who have changed depts/areas and were unhappy. I know a lot that were happy
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Or rather better fertilizer........................heh heh.

It all depends on how much time you have put in....and if you're willing to start over...time wise...senority..pension..back to midnights.and if your're willing to uproot your family.

Greener somewhere else...doubt it!
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

If you are comfortable where you are at, I would recommend against changing departments. Unless you really like warmer weather.

Comment

Pros and cons. I've been in your situation. Turned down a job in florida to stay here. Days like today...or any day november-march, I regret it. but, all my friends and family are here and I like my department.
          For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Right now I'm kinda in the same boat looking at a warmer location, however I'm not all that happy with either one of my depts (College and Town). Althougth I earn good pay and benefits there's just no opportunity to really advance and neither job has any full time specialties. Alot of the time I feel like I'm riding the bench and despite being told I have a great resume and I'm a good officer when something interseting does come along esp in the Town I am never given a chance, heck even the second in charge of the dept outright admitted that I've been overlooked. There's a growing part of me that really just wants to start over fresh. I know that no place is perfect and that the grass isn't always greener, however I would like to at least find a place that's big enough to have a career ladder and while I don't expect to get every promotion, I'd like a little more chance and consideration than just the small town good ole boy thing.
            "Massachusetts it's NOT All here!!!!"

Comment

What is the motivation to relocate? Every place has its pros and cons. As stated above, different shades of green--all fertilized with crap.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                Or rather better fertilizer........................heh heh.

It all depends on how much time you have put in....and if you're willing to start over...time wise...senority..pension..back to midnights.and if your're willing to uproot your family.

Greener somewhere else...doubt it!
                This. I started over with just two years on. So far it's been a good choice.

With that said, the grass is not always greener. If Chuck Norris has been there it's probably bloody.

Comment

Originally posted by goodfella View Post
                  Has anybody changed departments and relocated to another state, and once they started working there said to themsevles, "wow this sucks, this was a horrible idea."

The reason I ask is because I might have an opportunity coming quite soon to relocate to another state (wamer too!) and leave the PD I'm quite comfortable at right now.
                  I did this. I left a large city department where I was assigned to the motorcycle unit. I loved my job but hated the chief and the residency requirement.

I took a lateral transfer to a smaller department close to where I grew up. It's been 10 years now and I still regret making the change. In some ways I know it was the right thing to do, better schools, less forced OT and fewer calls. But I ruined any chance of being promoted and added on 7 or 8 years to when I can retire and may never get to day shift.... Not necessarily "greener"

Comment

Grass Greener?

Yes, I, too, have "been there, done that." At the risk of sounding like Mr. Obvious, find out as much as you possibly can about the new organization that you want to go to. And I mean not only today, but also are there are likely to be any changes in the foreseeable future.

I had over 10 years in at a city PD a number of years back. I was getting great annual reviews, finished my masters degree, was an FTO, but still got passed over for a sergeant promotion by someone that didn't score as well on the test and interview. He did have a couple more years of experience, however. That pretty much convinced me that it was time to look around.

I went to an SO and had the opportunity to do a whole bunch of things that I never would have been able to do if I stayed at the PD. I never did get stripes, though. Again, even though I scored well on several interviews and tests, they reached down and picked somebody else.

Anyway, back to you. Look at all aspects of what you are getting into so that you go in with "both eyes wide open" so to speak. Also, how will it affect your family life. I almost hate to say it, but the truth is law enforcement is sometimes "a mistress." When I say that I mean that some guys and gals are so devoted to the PD or SO that the family ends up taking a back seat to "THE JOB". Cop work can be great, but don't blow off your wife and kids for a job.

Like Just Joe states, ask yourself what the motivation is to change. If it is for promotional opportunities, look long and hard at what your chances are likely to be. If you have only an AS degree, but the prospective agency only seem to promote people with BA/BA degrees, well the handwriting is on the wall. If you know, or think you know, you will be happier at the new agency even if you don't get promoted or make investigator, etc. then go for it.

Comment

And make danged sure your spouse/significant other is on board with the move. "If Momma ain't happy - ain't NOBODY gonna be happy!"

As for the kids (if any), they'll likely kick, scream, and throw hissy fits about moving and leaving all their friends behind, but they'll adapt probably faster than you will. They'll have so many new friends in no time flat that they'll feel moving was the best thing since sliced bread. (New friends, new adventures, new things to see and do and places to go.)

Long story - short, involve the family before making a decision. Might save a lot of future heartache.

Good luck with your choices.

"Yes sir, I know you have rights."
                      "In fact, I know your rights better than you do!"

Comment

As others have said, do your homework on both agencies, then write a pro-con list. Weigh your options, then do what you feel best with the OK of your family.

I was a 21 year vet, and a sergeant on my last department. I had thought several times of going to another (larger) agency, but I got comfy. I wasn't really happy at the department, just comfy. Then my agency got "taken over" by that same large agency....I'm now a line deputy, and loving every minute of it. I'm kicking myself for getting comfy and not making the change 5 or 10 years ago. The moral of the story is that if you are thinking about making the change, do something about it....either go for it, or completely put it out of your mind. But don't make the same mistake I did and procrastinate. You may regret it.
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by Smurfette
                        Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                        Originally posted by DAL
                        You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

What I have found is people ask the big questions, ie... pay, benefits, take homes, details, promotion potential, no one asks the little things that add up to a big suck factor, ie......do they outfit you pretty well, take care of unserviceable stuff, provide training or allow you to take off for free training, what the dept expects you to do when faced with certain work type of situations, What happens on write ups, basic policy and procedure stuff. Thats usually what turns people off is the mountain of little stuff that alone means nothing but all together makes your situation different but no better than the last dept. I was lucky when I switched. I love my dept. Lots of things I would change if I was number one but the big picture says there is no where else I'd rather be. I know with it's faults I will find no better other than to quit and work for myself.
                          Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

Goodfella saw your posting in the AZ forum. Think long and hard,, East Coast or Chicago Style Policing is radically different then here on the left coast. I have been there done that.

Comment

Originally posted by Fugitive Hunter View Post
                              Goodfella saw your posting in the AZ forum. Think long and hard,, East Coast or Chicago Style Policing is radically different then here on the left coast. I have been there done that.
                              +1 on this.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6332 users online. 362 members and 5970 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X