Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Kilt

To those that wear kilts,
    What do you wear? I have found at least three "Law Enforcement" kilts out there. IPA, Sportskilts law enforcement kilt, and USAKilts Police Kilt. Which is the most acceptable?

If you're doing this for an Honor Guard or Police Pipe and Drum Corps, check with the group you'll be working with. They probably have a uniform standard.
    MAC

Comment

If you like to wear them just cause you can and your Irish (I have many male friends that do this) then checkout Utilakilts. I think thats the spelling.

Comment

In a Pipe Band, but don't wear our kilt unless playing for the band. Like I said, I know that Sport Kilts has a Law Enforcement tartan, as does USA Kilts, and there is an International Police Assoc. Kilt. What is the "norm" for those who wear them.

Comment

Originally posted by Depyoutee View Post
          In a Pipe Band, but don't wear our kilt unless playing for the band. Like I said, I know that Sport Kilts has a Law Enforcement tartan, as does USA Kilts, and there is an International Police Assoc. Kilt. What is the "norm" for those who wear them.
          We got ours from someplace in Scotland. I think they were about $800 a piece, so not cheap. I haven't seen the ones you listed. If you get one, make sure you get one that is lined, especially if you plan to go "traditional" - the chafing can be brutal with unlined wool

Comment

Originally posted by PaxSR9 View Post
            If you like to wear them just cause you can and your Irish (I have many male friends that do this) then checkout Utilakilts. I think thats the spelling.
            Uhhh,think thats Scottish.not Irish.

and just for giggles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wWz_7qdrPs
            Last edited by mavriktu; 04-18-2011, 01:03 PM.
            Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

I am not in a Pipe Band..I wear a kilt as a piece of casual dress, on St Patty's day and other occassions. I have 3 kilts all "casual" kilts. 2 from Sportkilts, LE tartan and the USMC tartan and a Black Watch from Celtic Croft.

There are many different levels of quality. Heavy, medium and light weight. Prices for kilts can range from about $100 to well over $700. All depends on the wool weight, if the pleats are sewn down or not, belt loops, custom tartans, belt loops, pockets etc etc...there are so many variables.

Then one must add in the accessories, the sporran(pouch that hangs in front of your junk), the belt and buckle, the sgian dubh(boot knife) the kilt pin(to hold it closed in front) and then consider the hose and flashes if you want to add flair to your legs. I wear mine with my black boots and boot socks. One doesn't need to add hose/flashes for going casual IMHO.

Also, make sure you research the proper way to measure for size. Fit is important.

Good luck.

**EDIT** Poor situational awareness on my part. I missed the part where you said you were in a pipe band. I'm sorry for adding all the additional info that you already know.
              Last edited by ShantyIrish; 04-18-2011, 04:45 PM. Reason: too much info.
              Went to Get a Cold Pop

Comment

http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tar...aspx?ref=10174 http://www.usakilts.com/store/leom_kiltpage.php http://www.sportkilt.com/index.php?p...+kilt&x=6&y=14 This may make things easier. Just trying to determine which is more commonly used. have all the swag, just need something when not playing with the band. Thanks for any and all help

Comment

Originally posted by mavriktu View Post
                  Uhhh,think thats Scottish.not Irish.

and just for giggles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wWz_7qdrPs
                  HA! There are Irish Kilts though. Its a Scotish Heritage thing.. It can get messy at a family reunion.
                  It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

lol on unrelated note, I have to wear a Kilt for my buddies wedding coming up. should be a helluva time!

Comment

Originally posted by PaxSR9 View Post
                      Thats Scots and Irish you bloody Sassenach!......

I will only wear a proper tartan....ie: one that is in the family heritage.
                      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                        Thats Scots and Irish you bloody Sassenach!......

I will only wear a proper tartan....ie: one that is in the family heritage.
                        I'll have it no other way, laddie....
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by Smurfette
                        Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                        Originally posted by DAL
                        You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Would rather wear a LEO tartan, though I do have a clan tartan. Want to show respect for those that have served before me, and those who have given their lives for what they believed in. Too bad there is not an Airborne tartan!

Comment

I am a Piper with the Los Gatos-Monte Sereno Police Pipes and Drums. We were the unit you saw in the IPA (International Police Association) Tartan. I believe we are the only ones wearing it.

There is a Tartan for almost every group you can imagine. And Depyoutee, I would bet there is an Airborne Tartan! I will check with our Bass Drummer ret. SGT MAJ SF.

We will also be covering the Santa Clara Sheriffs Department, so with the Khaki Shirts we may be looking at a new Tartan, not sure yet.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Philip

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4689 users online. 261 members and 4428 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X