300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal activity next door

I'm sorry that my first post here is a serious thread instead of a "hi, I'm so and so", but I need some advice.

I'm former military, current LEO. I live next door to a crack house. I know it is a crack house for fact. Number one, the person who lives there admitted to being an addict, which caused their divorce. Number two, there's way too much traffic of shady characters to look the other way. Number three, I have eye witness information that has seen it (crack use) occur. Obviously the eye witness doesn't want to be named on any report or warrant, so I'm working with limited info in that aspect.

The house was owned by husband and wife when I moved here. Long story short, wife got hooked onto crack, husband and wife divorced, wife got the house (were "attitude adjustments" still legal, I would love to have a long hard "conversation" with the husband for giving up the house). The current activity was not going on when I moved here. My house is outside of my jurisdiction, meaning I don't have arrest powers. I have polled peers at my PD and get varying answers, so I wanted to seek advice here.

Obviously I have alerted the agency which has jurisdiction over the premises. One of the Narc guys is a high school friend of mine, and a pretty good man. I spilled the beans over lunch one day, and he promised to take care of it. That's been over a month ago now. I know from experience that an investigation can take time. HOWEVER, I've seen no increased LEO traffic in my neighborhood what-so-ever. I live in a decent neighborhood. Nothing fantastic, but most folks are decent people in modest houses. LEO presence in here is virtually non-existent, which it really hasn't been needed until lately. In my jurisdiction, if I get wind of a legit complaint of a drug house, I'm all over it trying to get good stops in on vehicles leaving the residence. A few drug arrests on people leaving the exact same address and state law allows for nuisance abatement. We've taken care of a couple of bad areas like this.

I don't see any of that, though. I saw an interdiction team presence the same night I had lunch with my friend, but haven't seen anything since. I haven't spoken with my friend who promised to take care of it since, mostly because I've been in his position and I know how annoyed I get with folks (even though I understand and sympathize with the complaint) who constantly call. Trust me, I will be in touch with him in the next few days to see what's up. Meanwhile, I'm living next door to some serious trash. Obviously there are your every day thugs hanging out there. They don't bother me that much as 90% of "thugs" are wannabes he really won't do much but run their mouth. The owner of the place is a frail cracked out white girl who has more testicular fortitude than her boys. I've seen older folks as well, one whom a neighbor saw open carrying a pistol one day. Obviously this concerns me some.

At any rate, now that I've laid the foundation, the question is this. What do I do? The owner is aware from past experience that I don't approve of illegal activity, but she continues. I have a wife and three kids, so I have to worry about them. Worry about them living next to a crack house, but also worry about what may happen if I get too aggresive in trying to resolve the situation. Should I confront the owner? I want to, but I can't help but think of the family. I've stayed the course and laid low about as long as I can bear. I've been doing the "stare down" for the past few weeks, all the little thugs won't look at me. The owner tries to wave as if everything is fine. I want to walk up to her door and confront her with what I know. I want to put in sign that says "crack for sale and use next door" in my yard. I also don't want to make my family a target in the middle of the night when I'm not here. What would you do?

Sorry about the lengthy first thread/post, please forgive.
    Last edited by 5whiskey; 04-08-2011, 09:10 PM.

I'm sorry to hear about your neighbor. I also have an on-going issue with my neighbor (nothing like your issue, but some teenage punk stuff) and it just is annoying.

As to your situation, have another conversation with your friend and see what he can or can't do and then I'd look into visiting your local PD pct and formally request to have additional uniformed presence or patrol. If you don't get this taken care of now, it will turn into something even bigger down the road. Who knows, she might turn into the life of prostitution to supplement income to purchase more drugs or get into some shoot out.

Also, train your wife (and possibly your kids, if they are within legal age) with firearms and let her have an access to one when you are not around.

Comment

If they are trying to work undercover buys you are not going to see an increase in police cars.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
        If they are trying to work undercover buys you are not going to see an increase in police cars.
        If they are that blatently obvious, sounds like they are taking their time and getting deeper. Call you bud for a heads up.
        Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Confronting the owner or putting a sign in your yard is inviting trouble for you and your family.

Keep and eye out and let the ON DUTY folks handle it.

I dont know about your agency, but ANY law enforcement activity while off duty is more than just a bit discouraged here.
          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

^^^^^totally agree with LADEP. Your involvement should be covert or you are just asking for trouble. That and lock up everything you own and get an alarm if you don't have one. Be safe
            "I do not fear the man who yells, I fear the man who doesn't"

Comment

If your DA allows it, it sounds like a knock and talk is in order from your friend.
              It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
              Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

Also, train your wife (and possibly your kids, if they are within legal age) with firearms and let her have an access to one when you are not around.
                The wife and oldest son both are entrusted with this, but I obviously don't want it to come to that.

I dont know about your agency, but ANY law enforcement activity while off duty is more than just a bit discouraged here.
                Telling my neighbor that I'm aware of her crack house and am itching to snitch is not a law enforcement activity. For all the times I wanted to, I don't believe it's the best course of action so I haven't done it.

Thanks for the replies, all advice is appreciated.

Comment

There may be an on going investigation where their narcotics unit is watching the house under cover. Instead of calling unform patrol all the time via 911, call up to their headquarters and ask around.

Comment

Originally posted by 5whiskey View Post
                    The wife and oldest son both are entrusted with this, but I obviously don't want it to come to that.

Telling my neighbor that I'm aware of her crack house and am itching to snitch is not a law enforcement activity. For all the times I wanted to, I don't believe it's the best course of action so I haven't done it.

Thanks for the replies, all advice is appreciated.
                    Here, it would be.....esp. after she calls either your Watch Commander and/or IA to complain that you are 'harassing' her family and 'trespassing' on her property.

While you might not get into serious trouble it would put you on the radar....where I am sure you dont want to be.
                    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                      +1 beat me to it.

Comment

I just finished a three month investigation that was started from a crime stopper's tip. The tipster called back several times find out why nothing had been going on. In the end it took a knock and talk with a consent to search that culminated in an arrest and felony charges being filed.

Was this the most important thing I was working on? No. Did I ever forget about it during the three months? No.

A zero evidence investigation takes time to start, collect evidence and then bring to fruition. Want to make it easier for your friend? Start getting license plates with dates and times they are there. Video of the comings and goings make it easier for the DA to file charges AND gives you evidence if something happens. If he wants, do a trash run for him. Give him something to work with other than just, "Hey, I am living next to a crack house."
                        Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

I suppose I left out several very key pieces of information...

First off, I've identified most of the passers through. I've identified someone who has lived there, has first hand information regarding the activity there (along with the habits of the house owner), and introduced that source to the agency. I have recorded registration information for most everyone coming and going and followed one individual to his residence (as it was unknown). I put in a lot of work for my man before I went to him with anything. I didn't even go to him until I got a source for him. It's not like I'm joe blow citizen calling in a crack house with no additional information.

I've not notified uniformed patrol via 911. I went straight to a friend of mine in the narcotics division. However, almost everything my agency works involves uniformed patrol trying to make good stops on customers leaving the business. Either voluntary encounters on foot or legit traffic stops. I've gotten some decent drug arrests doing that. That will cut down on the customer base. That doesn't mean narc can't do buys anymore. At any rate, I understand that's not everyone's tactic. Fine, but we've done it and it's worked before.

I also understand that undercover investigations are not wrapped up in 3 weeks. I've seen them take 6 months. I'm just frustrated and seeking advice.

Comment

Originally posted by 5whiskey View Post
                            I suppose I left out several very key pieces of information...

First off, I've identified most of the passers through. I've identified someone who has lived there, has first hand information regarding the activity there (along with the habits of the house owner), and introduced that source to the agency. I have recorded registration information for most everyone coming and going and followed one individual to his residence (as it was unknown). I put in a lot of work for my man before I went to him with anything. I didn't even go to him until I got a source for him. It's not like I'm joe blow citizen calling in a crack house with no additional information.

I've not notified uniformed patrol via 911. I went straight to a friend of mine in the narcotics division. However, almost everything my agency works involves uniformed patrol trying to make good stops on customers leaving the business. Either voluntary encounters on foot or legit traffic stops. I've gotten some decent drug arrests doing that. That will cut down on the customer base. That doesn't mean narc can't do buys anymore. At any rate, I understand that's not everyone's tactic. Fine, but we've done it and it's worked before.

I also understand that undercover investigations are not wrapped up in 3 weeks. I've seen them take 6 months. I'm just frustrated and seeking advice.
                            I hear you, but put the shoe on the other foot; what you need to seek is patience...not advice. However, maybe your buddy got wrapped up on something else and his division is only big enough to handle so many calls; he put yours on the back-burner for now...who knows. Every day for you must be aggravating and stressful given that your family is there and you are worried about them. Ask your buddy for a status or if he needs additional help or resources for the time being.

Comment

what you need to seek is patience...not advice.
                              And you (along with most everyone else up here) are absolutely correct. I understand that there's not much I can do besides intentionally be the biggest buthole of a neighbor known to man. That's not wise, professional, or appropriate. I've done what I can do with this... it just sucks when you work to combat this same type of stupidity and then you have to come home every day and raise your family next to it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Pray for me please.
                              Last edited by 5whiskey; 04-10-2011, 10:21 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3477 users online. 184 members and 3293 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X