300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 weeks notice

Man, I dont know how I'm going to feel without my badge. Many old time forum readers know long ago I was in college but I got my job with a Sheriffs Office and never completed getting my degree. Well I finally said I need to stop putting it off and finish getting my degree. So yesterday I went and had a meeting with my Captain and Lt. about giving my notice. I read over SOP to make sure I would be elible for rehire in the future by doing the proper protocol for separation from employment.

I'm more sad to leave all my fellow Deputies and friends here, I really do like working with the people at my dept. If anyone has walked down my same road, how was that last day and the few days after ? I'm moving from where I'm at to more central part of my state, real close to my family. I'm thinking I will be putting in apps for reserve stuff you know to still be in it. Maybe I might try going full time if the dept is willing to work with me on school classes.

I still cant believe it myself, I thought very hard on the actions I took well over the course of a month.....but still I wonder....not being a Deputy no more......how will I be feeling .....
    sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Why couldn't you go to school part time?

Comment

do you have any university police departments around you? apply to those. the university's that enforce/arrest/police powers and go to school while you are still a cop!??!!! that's your best bet! go back to your cpt and LT and rescind you resignation and apply to police university departments, get hired and then complete your career and school at the same time. Pa has alot of university's in the city of phili and in the suburbs that cops on the campus are the same as cops as in a municipality all around Pa.. As long as you are act 120 certified with a active number by mpoect.. I know a guy who is working on his masters, and he's a cop for a university! he might even go for his PHD, and he loves being a cop and school and the University pay's tuition at 100%!

Comment

I tried to do that online school thing but we were always short handed. Missed too many sessions......

My work is like this... all 12 hour shifts. Days is 0530-1730 and nights is 1730-0530

Week one Mon Tues (Days) Wed, Thurs (Off) Fri, Sat, Sun (nights)
        Week two Mon, Tues (Off) Wed, Thurs (Days) Fri, Sat, Sun (off)

Comment

I do have my eye on University of Louisiana Lafayette Campus Police. Im going to be talking to them within a couple of weeks and find out about free schooling etc.

Comment

Time for work.....im off the net till 0530.

Comment

well, option i gave you, you will get best of both worlds! look into it. i would have looked into it before i quit my job.. maybe you can rescind your notice, look into it and then do a later transfer. Also make sure as a campus police officer you have the same arrest powers as you do as a deputy sheriff.. u know what i mean???

Comment

Most people get the degree in order to have a better chance of getting a job as an LEO, which you already have, so....what are you going to gain? I'm working on my graduate degree and due to work and familiy obligations I do a week's worth of work in three days. It can be done.
                Last edited by just joe; 04-06-2011, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Too bad you couldn't take a leave of absence.

Good Luck
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

If you already have a job you love to do then why are you quitting to finish your degree?!?! I guess a lot of us are confused. I hope it's jnot ust so you can say you have a degree. A degree and no job is worthless!!!

Comment

I have to agree with everyone else. In today's environment, with layoff stories becoming a daily news headline, I wouldn't walk away from secure employment without another job already bagged. I'd look into scheduling your school around your two consistent off days (which appear to be WED and THU); you could do part-time on those days. Yeah, I'd take a minute, but it'd get you to your end goal without sacrificing stable employment.

RKC

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                        Most people get the degree in order to have a better chance of getting a job as an LEO, which you already have, so....what are you going to gain? I'm working on my grduate degree and due to work and familiy obligations I do a week's worth of work in three days. It can be done.
                        Agreed ! Most people get degrees to have a better chance of becoming a cop. Cops who try to get degrees while being a cop, are thinking about their future within their departments.

I would never quit my job to get a degree. You can take a class a semister and spread it out over years. Why quit a job after you have it. A job that 1000's wish they could have and do. You do not have a guarantee to get your job back in todays economy.

Comment

Good luck with your schooling. Just think of it this way. You are investing in your future and diversifying your marketability.

Be safe brother!

Comment

also, no one can tell you how you will feel except for the advice that has been given to you already.. some cops are happy to walk away, some cops are sad, some cops can't wait, some cops need to walk away, some cops stopped being cops along tie ago, some cops can't imagine not ever being a cop! there are so many different emotions when it comes to what will happen the day you turn in your badge. if you can, try your best to hold that job until you have another one lined up. trust me, i see people puting themselves through the acedemy ( like i did 8 years ago & thank god, i got a job ), but there are people out there eager! i see people taking week vacation to travel to another state and apply for a position that have opened up. I have seen cops on steady shifts or flip floping shifts try to attend college to better them selves ( which is awesome ) but the point of the whole story is.. a police department will not except barely any excuss or changing a schedule for school because if they allow for you, then it should and could be allowed for all cops in the department and that my friend.. will not happen.. police departments want you to focus on there pd on the hours you are scheduled for them. no i can;t work because my wife, or my husband, or my college or i am a single parent, etc! they will tell you, find it to work around your schedule or find another job! you are lucky to have a job.. think before you walk away.. share ideas and thoughts with close family & friends.. do a pro's and con's list.. best luck and take care..

Comment

There are always ways that you can work around school and the job. I did it for four years. It isn't easy - in fact, it is sometimes darn near impossible - but with some maneuvering by you and cooperation of your agency, it can be done. Think about it a little longer. Talk to your bosses and see if they can help you adjust your schedule just until you can secure that degree. You may find there is more cooperation than your thought there would be. Good luck to you.
                              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6108 users online. 346 members and 5762 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X