300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The jumper

This was a first for me, not my first person threatening to jump off something possibly fatal but more likely just crippling, but the first snatch-n-grab to end it. Standard suicidal person run, blah blah blah. We get there and she's on a balcony on the 3rd floor yelling she's not going with us. We're pretty sure she is, but we'll see when we get up there. Caller lets us in the door and the subject climbs over the balcony railing and leans back for the Nestea plunge. Drama ensues.

We start fire and a negotiator and all the mess you are supposed to and I step back and let my partner talk to her, he's better at the empathy bit, and I hang back so as not to crowd them. I can see him but not her so as she can't see me.

He gives me a little wave so I move up and she's looking down/back, we sneak up and grab her and haul her back over the railing before she makes her decision. It was truly some Hollywood BS looking mess.

The best part was she complained about the handcuffs hurting. Probably not as badly as the Nestea plunge from the 3rd floor.
    I miss you, Dave.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Good job........................

Any height twice your size would be considered a trauma run. Look at the guy who was tased off the awning and fell to his death.

While standing on the ground...you can fall backwards and hit your melon. bye bye

My pet peeve is...if you're gonna kill yourself....don't take anyone with you. The Golden Gate Bridge was a perfect place.
    Last edited by deputy x 2; 04-05-2011, 09:50 AM.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Well done brother! I very much appreciate a person who can see their partners strengths. I still believe this job is pretty much taken up by type "A" personalities. Atleast those who work the road. When an officer recognizes the strength of his co-workers and lets them apply said strength I think that speaks volumes for the person.

On a side note, when I was a rookie, I responded to a jumper. I was able to talk the guy down. Unfortunately he didn't take the stairs. Sheesh.
      Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Good job! What teamwork!
        Bet you got chewed out by your supervisor too.
        Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Congrats, I bet it feels good. I have yet to get a jumper yet but I've got a guy who wanted to eat his Ruger. Luckily he didn't.
          "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
          I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4302 users online. 247 members and 4055 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X