300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collective Bargining or other Contracts

What are some of your unique ways to get that extra pay, something different aside from the regular FTO pay, Shift Differential pay, etc....

I trying to be creative for our next contract.

Thanks.
    "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

The only creative thing that we ever got to work was rolling our holiday pay and a chunk of our uniform allowance rolled into our base pay. Otherwise, the county pretty much tells us what they'll give us for a raise and our union bitches and moans for a few weeks and then accepts the offer.
    Originally posted by kontemplerande
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

The Iowa contract with AFSCME------general contract includes Corrections Officers
      http://www.das.hre.iowa.gov/document...ract_09-11.pdf

The Iowa contract with SPOC-------------State Police, Investigators, DNR enforcement, DOT enforcement
      http://www.das.hre.iowa.gov/document...c_contract.pdf
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

lol @ extra pay. : (

Comment

We get a 750.00 annual Hazardous Duty Pay check that is not counted towards our pension. We also get an education check, 500.00 for an Associates Degree and 750.00 for a Bachelors. Degree has to be in a related field for the 750.00 but you can get the 500.00 for having a minimum of 72 credits. The least you can get is 125.00 for about 15 credits. We also got longevity pay at one time but that is now put into a VEBA account to help with health care for retired officers.

Comment

Our longevity scale is awesome. Starts at 2% at 5yrs. Patrol tops at 8% in 20yrs. Supervisors top at 11%. Huge nut when your making a decent amount.
            Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Have you not seen the news lately?
              Last edited by ryker; 03-29-2012, 08:44 AM.
              Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

Id recommend you lay low and ride it out for the next contract. The republican party is on a rampage and raping unions all over America right now, senate bill 5 was just signed into law here in Ohio which totally neuters the public safety unions and effectively ends collective bargaining.

To those of you who still have collective bargaining, good luck...
                Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

This past contract we decided NOT to ask for any pay raises for the length of the contract period (3yrs)...because of this the Town agreed to add "senior" for your last three years leading to retirement (3% a year added to your pay). They agreed because it is at least 5 years before anyone here will be looking to retire. We also barter for other things in exchange for less pay than we normally ask for. It has worked out well for us and our union has a good rapport with the Town (as good as employees can have with their employer anyway!).

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanMike View Post
                    Id recommend you lay low and ride it out for the next contract. The republican party is on a rampage and raping unions all over America right now, senate bill 5 was just signed into law here in Ohio which totally neuters the public safety unions and effectively ends collective bargaining.

To those of you who still have collective bargaining, good luck...
                    This is for the new contact which would take effect 10-1-11. This is only our 2nd contact.

CB still going strong in TX.
                    "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

Comment

More pay? Have you seen the news lately? The country is in trouble and you are thinking about more?

Here's an idea. Offer to dump the entire idea of a pension in favor of 401K like private business did 50 years ago. The idea of a defined benefit pension is archaic. Offer that in exchange for more money. With that kind of system you could change jobs or locations (become a cop somewhere else) and take your retirement with you. Pensions make you a slave to the same place for life. You are afraid to leave because you'll lose your pension. Pensions also are bankrupting our states. A privately managed retirement fund would give each of us the freedom to do what we want. We could then negotiate with municipalities to make matching contributions. We come out way ahead and states don't go broke.

Republicans are not raping anyone. They are trying to repair the damage done by years of Democrat promises on a Ponzi scheme that just can't be fulfilled. Let's all wake up and start trying to get ourselves some real good retirement benefits that we take control of that give us freedom and financial independence. Oh wait. Then the union won't have control over it and thus us. That's right. Oh forget it then. Let's just ask for more money so our taxes go up and it becomes a wash.

Comment

Sentinel, you are living comfortably off of your NYPD pension in Florida, stop being a hypocrite. Better yet, tell the NYPD you refuse to take your pension because it is a ponzi scheme.

In all honesty, besides pay raises, etc.. why not ask for things like extra personal days, vacation time, etc. It will not hurt you to ask for them. As for additional pay, you could ask for shift differential pay, longevity, education incentive pay, clothing allowance, bilingual pay, special duty pay, on call pay, etc. These are things that will get you higher compensation without making big waves with the taxpayers as all they will care about is the % you negotiate with the city, town, county, etc.....
                        " The Beatings will continue until Morale Improves "

Comment

Originally posted by Sentinel View Post
                          More pay? Have you seen the news lately? The country is in trouble and you are thinking about more?

Here's an idea. Offer to dump the entire idea of a pension in favor of 401K like private business did 50 years ago. The idea of a defined benefit pension is archaic. Offer that in exchange for more money. With that kind of system you could change jobs or locations (become a cop somewhere else) and take your retirement with you. Pensions make you a slave to the same place for life. You are afraid to leave because you'll lose your pension. Pensions also are bankrupting our states. A privately managed retirement fund would give each of us the freedom to do what we want. We could then negotiate with municipalities to make matching contributions. We come out way ahead and states don't go broke.

Republicans are not raping anyone. They are trying to repair the damage done by years of Democrat promises on a Ponzi scheme that just can't be fulfilled. Let's all wake up and start trying to get ourselves some real good retirement benefits that we take control of that give us freedom and financial independence. Oh wait. Then the union won't have control over it and thus us. That's right. Oh forget it then. Let's just ask for more money so our taxes go up and it becomes a wash.
                          Pensions are bankrupting our states? Boy you LOVE that republican kool-aid don't you?

1. I'll give you a dollar if you can tell me how much money the State of Ohio contributes to the Ohio Police and Fire Pension Fund. I'll give you a hint, it's ZERO.
                          2. I can go anywhere in the State of Ohio, fire or police department, and keep my pension. If I were to leave the states, I could simply cash out and buy into the pension system of the new state.
                          3. All pension funds in Ohio are required to show 30 year solvency, care to explain how that's a ponzi scheme?

Shall I go on?

It's so awesome that you stand up and preach out about how we're bankrupting the states and we deserve every pay cut we can get, AFTER YOU RETIRE.
                          Last edited by FiremanMike; 04-05-2011, 04:39 PM.
                          Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

Better yet sentinnel, why don't you just **** off. Nationwide, many of us (myself included) are trying to figure out how to tell our family that daddy is going to make significantly less money very soon. You sit there in Florida enjoying the pension that a union negotiated and essentially gloat about how we deserve the pounding we're taking.

You don't belong here.

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanMike View Post
                              Better yet sentinnel, why don't you just **** off. Nationwide, many of us (myself included) are trying to figure out how to tell our family that daddy is going to make significantly less money very soon. You sit there in Florida enjoying the pension that a union negotiated and essentially gloat about how we deserve the pounding we're taking.

You don't belong here.
                              I love you man!
                              Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3495 users online. 232 members and 3263 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X