300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business Checks

Got to thinking about this while reading "Door Check Business Cards" thread. How many of you all still do business checks whether on foot or by other means on a regular basis. Our new supervisor is very big on property checks and that's what you are expected to be doing after midnight, NOT stopping cars lol. I know a lot of agencies have gotten away from this but apparently some still do it. I have to say that since I've started doing this on a regular basis I have found some interesting stuff.

When I was on nights, I used to check businesses, but never found anything open. Vehicle contacts were MUCH more productive, but that could be because of the area.
    LOST:
    Individual Responsibility
    If found, please return to society.

Comment

We havent done these types of checks in at least 23 years (when I started), and it very likely goes back decades further.....we simply dont have the time or the resources to do so.

We will do targeted 'patrol checks' for a limited amount of time if a business owner requests them.....but, those are also done only if a patrol unit happens to be free and swings by that location.
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

The only time I have ever heard or seen them done was by Barney on the Andy Griffith show. Hunting for bad guys is much more productive. But any good foot patrol will result in some thing. Police cars are almost worthless at night except for car stops.

Comment

Do you work for my agency? :-) Basically on midnights, its all we do, generally. We make traffic stops if there is traffic around but generally its driving around the strip malls and stuff all night long. Most of us add in some neighborhood patrols in the nicer weather knowing the kids are out stealing sht from unlocked cars or property vandalism but mostly business checks
          I got nothing for now

Comment

Yep, lots and lots of property checks and a sgt that checks daily activity log to make sure. However, in over 10 years, have never found one in progress. However, in the same amount of years, I have solved numerous B&Es by making traffic stops of vehicles out taking other people's crap. I also average about one DUI every two night shifts. Seems to me, that more is accomplished with traffic stops than door to door, business checks. I believe that cops should drive around businesses looking for what doesn't look right, but rattling doors isn't very productive and from a safety standpoint, if I find one that is active, I don't have the element of surprise and I'm by myself.
            Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Comment

Gee, I guess I was always the lucky one who created about two or three "unsecured premise" calls a night when I was doing building checks. Sigh. Kind of why I quit doing it... Nothing like the fast food place that's already been burgled once that leaves the drive thru window unlocked. Which I then get to crawl through.

Comment

Yeah, I do most of mine by vehicle and shining the lights in the doors and windows, but will get out on foot and check the ones in the downtown area, since thats where our crackheads stay. I have found some good stuff by doing these patrols but could probably find even more running traffic. I talk to a lot of guys that dont do these regularly though. Interesting to see how different our departments are.

Comment

We had this one school out in the middle of nowhere (brand new at the time) that if you were bored you could go to and pull doors. You were guaranteed to find an open/unlocked door somewhere at that school, especially if you gave one a pretty good yank.
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Never do them on foot. To be honest, I generally feel like if you don't lock your doors, its on you.
                    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

I think it all depends on where you work. There are many evenings where I will see about 10-15 cars total from 2am-5am. To keep myself sane (and awake), I will do business checks. Most of the time it involves driving through the parking lot and illuminating the door so I can see the deadbolt. In warmer weather I get my butt out of the squad and pull doors in the downtown area.

If there is a certain crime trend occurring like theft of scrap metal or thefts from storage lockers, I'll focus on that much more than traffic enforcement.
                      "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

Business checks, meaning getting out of the car and pulling on doors........almost never. Call load often prevents that. Every once in a blue moon in between other things.

Mainly lighting up stuff from the car, looking for doors ajar, broken windows, activity in alleys behind or adjacent to businesses, etc. But in general, no, we don't do a lot of hands on type business checks.

Comment

When I was on patrol, I did them all the time. Traffic usually dried up around 3 am and I'd get extra tired. When that happened, I'd park in one on the several towns in my patrol area and go for a stroll through town. I'd find open doors all the time and even caught a couple (2) in-progress in about 15 years. For me, it was more about getting out of the car and getting a little fresh air.
                          Originally posted by kontemplerande
                          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                            . For me, it was more about getting out of the car and getting a little fresh air.
                            +1 Nothing like the 0dark 30 stroll to keep the eyes open.
                            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

They're a good community perception tool... I don't subscribe to the theory some supervisors have of making it a primary duty on night shift. I think an officer is much more effective creeping through the neighborhoods and making contacts, whether it's someone on foot or in a vehicle.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4091 users online. 264 members and 3827 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X