300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT for Traffic Enforcement

Anyone out there know of agencies that allow officers to sign up for overtime to do traffic enforcement (not Safe & Sober, Nitecap or similar programs, just run of the mill traffic enforcement.) A couple of agencies I know of in MN do this and the revenue generated by the strategic traffic enforment citations far outweighs the ot paid out. Names of agencies would be great. Thanks.

We do certain traffic initiatives throughout the year. We are currently under the " NO NEED TO SPEED" campaign. 1 or 2 officers during peak travel times to do nothing but run radar. We also are paying OT to have officers view and verify violations issued by the red light camera. If we get the 2 additional cameras that they say we are, it is going to be a full time job just to keep up with it.
    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Yes. The agency I work for in Texas does. It's 6 hours of OT that is assigned by the administrator of the program. The have to write 18 moving violations in that 6 hour period. I don't know anything about the inner workings of it, but I do it once or twice a month.

If you are interested in speaking with our administrator of it, PM me and I'll get you his details.

David

Comment

Pennsylvania has their Smooth Operator Aggressive driving campaign during the nicer weather. OT for usually 2 guys for a few hours at a time related to high accident areas etc. on State maintained roads. Mostly speed, aggressive driving violations
        I got nothing for now

Comment

I have worked "saturation" patrol where traffic enforcement is a number 1 priority. I will just say at the end of the shift I promised myself I would never do it again. I am not into traffic that much and do not like issuing tickets except in extreme circumstances. It just wasn't for me.

Comment

I love working traffic, but always tried to give warnings when I could. My new dept doesn't let us work much traffic (campus PD, we have the biggest road in town in our jurisdiction, but the college pres doesn't want us doing anything on other than driving to different parts of property). That, mixed with the much slower pace, have put me to the point where I've applied to be a reserve in a few near by depts.
            Originally posted by Ceridwen
            Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

We (SE WI agy) have many traffic enforcement, saturation patrol, OWI enforcement, intersection and speed enforcement OT initiatives throughout the year. Most traffic related enforcements require at least one cite every 45mins, alcohol 1per 4hr shift, and saturation requires being constantly active stopping vehicles and people in the worst parts of the city looking for warrants and hammering the known trouble makers with everything we can to get them off the streets.
              LOST:
              Individual Responsibility
              If found, please return to society.

Comment

A good friend of mine is a Texas Trooper, and he gets to work random OT traffic enforcement. He told me the money comes from a federal grant. Also, several agencies in Louisiana have traffic related OT paid for by their District Attorney's offices. Only traffic OT we get here is DWI, Click it or ticket. We used to get the aggressive driver enforcement, but our PD stopped getting the grant.
                " The Beatings will continue until Morale Improves "

Comment

Originally posted by david_in_texas View Post
                  Yes. The agency I work for in Texas does. It's 6 hours of OT that is assigned by the administrator of the program. The have to write 18 moving violations in that 6 hour period. I don't know anything about the inner workings of it, but I do it once or twice a month.

If you are interested in speaking with our administrator of it, PM me and I'll get you his details.

David
                  18 moving violations in 6 hours? WOW

Comment

18 in 6 hours?

I promise you if I try to stop 18 cars, someone is going to jail long before I hit my mark...

Comment

Originally posted by david_in_texas View Post
                      We have a similar program called RAAID. I usually work it 3 days a month. It is worked using unmarked cars. We run it Thursday through Sunday each week. We run 20 officers per day split between two shifts.
                      We have the same requirement of 3 hazardous citations per enforcement hour. Going to jail counts as arrest time, not enforcement time.
                      "18 moving violations in 6 hours? WOW"
                      It is extremely easy. You just have to find the right spots. The most I've written in a shift was 27, and that was in 5 1/2 hours. That was kind of a fluke though. Still, I usually average between 18 and 20 in about 5 enforcement hours. You just need a good honey hole.
                      Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 3 or 4 times.

M-11

Comment

18 cites in 6 hours... Holy crap, I lol'd cuz I can't possibly write 3 cites & reports on 3 separate traffic stops in one hour. Maybe two/hr, but if I run into an OAR or OWL, and have to write a long form report, I'm screwed.

Perhaps TRaCS will speed this up for me.
                        LOST:
                        Individual Responsibility
                        If found, please return to society.

Comment

We allow certified overweight truck enforcement officers work up to 16 hours of OT per month doing just trucks. The fines generally more than pay for the OT and it provides an incentive for the truck officers to go after the overweights.

I stopped doing the traffic enforcement overtime on grants. In order to meet the "performance standards," I'd have had to lower my normal threshold for a speeding ticket. I just didn't feel right about pimping Joe Citizen on a traffic cite I would not usually write just to make a few extra bucks for myself.
                          "The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, can not and will not ever harm the sheep." -Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Comment

Originally posted by bigiron View Post
                            the revenue generated by the strategic traffic enforment citations far outweighs the ot paid out.
                            Citation fines in my state go directly to the state general fund, not to the agency, municipality, or county that issues them... although a percentage does get earmarked for the operation of our criminal justice academy. As such, there is no financial incentive.

We only do NHTSA/Bureau of Highway Safety details (click it/ticket, speed, drunk driver, etc).
                            All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

In Wisconsin we get grants for OWI enforcement, Speed wave(Speed Enforcement) and Seat Belt Enforcement (Click it or Ticket). All the grant time is 4 hour blocks of overtime. With my Agency you must be assigned to the division that has the overtime to work it. If you are a Bailiff in the Courts you cannot work the overtime. It goes to the regular officers in the division. I don't know who is giving us the grants but the money can be nice.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4243 users online. 264 members and 3979 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X