300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    It sounds to me like the business owners appreciated the service & were wondering why it stopped.

GOOD PR tool
    Agreed. We use a form that basically says "Your business was checked at ________ time on ______ day of _______, and found to be:
    () Secure
    () Unsecure

Notes: _____________________
    Name ______________, PE # _______________

Business owners LOVE them. We slide them under doors, rather than hang them on knobs.

I don't typically do much pulling doors, but when it's a nice warm night and we're slow, i'll get out and stretch my legs. I'll slide the Business Check Cards in my cargo pocket and drop a few in businesses.
    Originally posted by K40
    To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
    ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

We used to have a card that said something like "Your property has been visited by an Officer with xxxxxPD as a part or our xxxxxPatrol program. Pretty simple but got the message out that we were in the area. We didn't just blindly pass them out to the point where people were expecting it on a routine basis, but rather it was more of an exception or a pleasant surprise. We'd stick them on cars parked in remote places, campsites, buildings, trailers, etc. Not so much on businesses in heavy traffic areas, but more in places one wouldn't expect a cop to step out and check a building and such.

Comment

It's a massive PITA to slide the business check notices under the door. It gets pretty cold in the Upper Midwest, and most businesses have their doors sealed pretty tight to prevent the loss of heat.
        "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

Originally posted by dontknowwhy View Post
          We used a card that said 'This business was check and found secure by (supposed to be name, I just put badge number) at (time)' and had our badge logo, etc on it. Didn't last long since, once we ran out and were waiting on the re-order, people thought we had stopped checking doors and the chief was embarrassed to say the city had paid for the reorder yet. I think he told them we were trying to 'be green' and not waste the paper...
          ^^^^This.

As soon as you put one card on a door, the people will expect to find one every day. If they don't, you can bet some people will be calling the chief to complain that you're not doing door checks anymore. What started out as a nice PR move will quickly turn into a backlash against the department.

I have no issue with putting a card on a door that you found open or some other security concern. It tells the business owners that you're on top of things.
          \

Comment

To the OP....I applaud your intiative and motivation. From your posting it appears as if this is a project that you, personally want to do. I would caution you first to go through your dept or supervisors for permission first. Make a presentation to them and quite possibly it will be a program adopted dept. wide.

I've seen and heard of situations of guys getting jammed up over seemingly complete nonsense such as a particular supervisor or chief being offended that you used a dept symbol or logo..For instance, at my dept, only Commanding Officers of units or divisions are authorized to have business cards made. My dept does have a similiar such card for these purposes, but it's pretty generic and not personalized.

Hopefully you don't work for or with people with fragile egos...Otherwise I think it's a great idea and applaud your motivation.
            Went to Get a Cold Pop

Comment

We had dept business cards with our names printed on them. We used them to write report #'s on them or leave them in the crack of the door after an alarm or in your case business check.

On a personal note...we go on cruises alot and at the end of the cruise many swap out address, phone numbers, emails etc. Instead having to write out the information and collecting pieces of papers from others...many get FREE business cards from Vista prints. There are alot of designs you can choose from...you just pay shipping. Good cards...we selected the one with the flag.

http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/pSearch...11260506&GNF=0
              This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

We had a sticker about the size of a citation. "The Night Watch Was Here" and had some phone numbers, and a place to write down a note to the owner.
                "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

Ours is just a card with the department name. Then it says "This property was checked by _______ at ___ am/pm". Sign it and slide it in the door right above the lock.

Comment

Yeah, I have always had trouble with the weatherstripping, never been able, when I tried, to get one under or into a door Many years ago I heard of a department who only put a notice, in bright colors, on a door after they found it unlocked and the owner would not come down. They said it did not take to long to get the business owners to make sure their doors were locked and respond when they weren't. I don't remember where it was though. Heck, could even be some sort of police urban myth, but I kind of like the idea.
                    Last edited by MidwestCop; 03-31-2011, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                      ^^^^This.

As soon as you put one card on a door, the people will expect to find one every day. If they don't, you can bet some people will be calling the chief to complain that you're not doing door checks anymore. What started out as a nice PR move will quickly turn into a backlash against the department.

I have no issue with putting a card on a door that you found open or some other security concern. It tells the business owners that you're on top of things.
                      People will also expect it from every officer at your agency, not just from you. Unless it is an agency-wide policy, I wouldn't do it because it will cause problems for your partners.
                      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I will shake doors quite often, but rarely do I leave any "evidence." For one, I don't want some low-life seeing that I have already checked the business and find an open invitation to let himself in, knowing that I probably won't be there. However, there are times where I find something unlocked and nothing suspicious. In those instances, I will usually leave a card with my name/badge number, date, time, and a little note that says something to the effect of "In an effort to prevent criminal activity, please make sure you're business is secure when you're not on the premises." That is, of course, if I can't get a keyholder to respond.
                        sigpic

Comment

We have crime prevention awarness door hangers. We use them for things like items left in yards, open doors, false alarms.

Comment

Are you able to check every single business in town? If you have a small enough town it may be possible but if not it could be a problem. What if a business gets broken into that you have not checked or have never checked? What is to stop that business owner from finding out that you routinely do business checks yet his/her business was not checked? We live in a world of "point the finger." Although it may sound ridiculous I could easily see someone claiming they were burglarized because the police failed to routinely pay attention to their business like other businesses in town. Also, what if that business owner has some kind of history with the PD. I could just see the complaint that, "Officer ______ did not check my business because he arrested me for domestic assault/dui/******baggery a month ago and because the PD failed me my business was burglarized."

Comment

We use these and it's a great PR tool. I dont put one on every bussiness every night for logistic reasons but in our small town I try to leave one at each bussiness about once a week. People love seeing them and has really helped the public perception of the department.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4717 users online. 277 members and 4440 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X