300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strobes/LED..tech question..

My car is decked out with strobes and the power supplies. If I wanted to install some LEDs would they wire into the power supplies like the strobes?

Thanks!

B.
    2010 Graduate of Reinhardt University Police Academy
    Class 10-004

No, LED's use a lot less power than strobes and most have internal flashers. Usually, all you need is a ground and a power wire from the activation switch (which, obviously, is hooked to power).
    Originally posted by Ceridwen
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks!
      Class 10-004

Comment

You could use the strobe wires that are already in place though. That would make your install a LOT easier. Then just replace the strobe power supplies with your LED flasher. Strobes have 3 wires, power, ground and a trigger wire, so you could use all 3 on your LEDs and use that trigger wire as your LED sync wire.

PM me if you have any more questions, I outfit police cars on the side.
        Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

Comment

cjs-luke sounds like he knows what he is talking about.

Having played junior electrician while working for a department with zero budget for vehicle maintenance, I can tell you first hand it is both frustrating and (eventually) rewarding to do it yourself. The obvious advantage is you get the flash patterns you want, not what someone else thinks is effective.

Comment

I know in the other thread someone mentioned elightbars.org.

They are a great resource for people making their cars look like rolling light shows j/k

Lots of good info there............
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I just replaced 4 Par36 halogens with LEDs on my motor. Very easy if you're competent with a pair of strippers (keep it clean now). Like suggested above I just used the existing wires (after unplugging those units from the control box) and no problem.

Comment

Ok thanks for the info! I've been checking out elightbars... what a great site! I think I have enough lights but am seriously thinking about adding some amber to the rear in the light bar.

B.
                Class 10-004

Comment

Originally posted by silly34 View Post
                  Ok thanks for the info! I've been checking out elightbars... what a great site! I think I have enough lights but am seriously thinking about adding some amber to the rear in the light bar.

B.
                  If you have a whelen Patriot bar, that is as simple as taking off the lenses and top cover and plugging the new light heads in, then snapping them into the holder. I did the same thing years ago. It's even easier if the bar is a Liberty.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4452 users online. 251 members and 4201 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X