Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e-man
    replied
    We rotate every 4 weeks, I was going to say every 28 days, every period but Im afraid of getting verbally spanked by Smurffie....
    I too gain weight, get cranky with the wife and kids etc working nights, usually it lasts about a week then I get used to it. Also depends on the time of year, nights on winters last much longer than a summer shift, windows down, people out. Just seems better a little in nicer weather. The obvious has been said re: sleep, diet etc. Its tough.

Leave a comment:

• Thin Blue Line
    replied
    Yeah im working on the diet also. When I'm on days I'll eat a little something with coffee when i get up around 0415, then maybe a little something about 0800, then lunch around 1200, and supper when I get home around 1900. However when I'm on nights, I will just eat a little something when I first get up with coffee to get me going, and then eat supper around 2000, which is usually a larger meal. Then I dont eat anything when I get off as i go straight to bed. I think workin on the balance will help tremendously.

Leave a comment:

• SRT936
    replied
    Let me clarify some minor points about Vitamin D.

1) It would be best to get tested by your doctor and find out what you're level is. Night shift workers are almost always significantly deficient in Vitamin D because the primary source of it is sunlight. Once you know you're level, you can adjust your intake appropriately.

2) Vitamin D uptake will not fix poor sleeping, bad eating habits, or other personal behavior issues. If all that is fine for you and you still feel lethargic and crappy most of the time, Vitamin D should help.

3) Excessive Vitamin D intake can be toxic so don't go out and take 40,000 units a day. For most people, 1000 to 2000 units daily will do the trick.

4) It will take about 3 weeks of regular use before you start to notice improvement. Like most things, it takes time to build up your levels. Improvement will also be subtle, but noticeable. For me it was a sudden realization that I felt so much better.

Leave a comment:

• 11b101abn
    replied
    That Vitamin D thing sounds intriguing.

I generalyl have no issues staying awake,, but I see saw with the motivation and the occasional sleep issue. Dont forget to make your room as dark as possible. Running a fan on med/high for the white noise effect help me tremenously.

FWIW, I have been on morning watch for about 10 years. It's to the point where I can have issues driving during the day, and generally don't perk up until about 4-5 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MCSD
    replied
    Originally posted by Jhelrey View Post
    When I worked nights, our shift was 9pm to 7am. I would go to bed around 8-830am and I would sleep solid until 7-7:30pm. Sleep wasn't my issue, it was just trying to stay awake in general and keeping busy.
    That's some serious sleep.

Leave a comment:

• Jhelrey
    replied
    When I worked nights, our shift was 9pm to 7am. I would go to bed around 8-830am and I would sleep solid until 7-7:30pm. Sleep wasn't my issue, it was just trying to stay awake in general and keeping busy.

Leave a comment:

• Thin Blue Line
    replied
    I'll get some Vitamin D also. Danny216, I will NEVER join our community policing unit lol but thanks for the thought.

Leave a comment:

• Street_Cop50
    replied
    Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
    Vitamin D. Seriously. Most night shift guys has a very serious deficiency in Vitamin D that leads to all of the symptoms you've described. Start taking 1000 units twice a day and I'll bet you'll start feeling better in a couple weeks.
    I'm also going to try Vitamin D... just bought a bottle last night.

Leave a comment:

• Danny216
    replied
    Another suggestion: maybe it's time to get away from patrol for a while. I don't know anything about your department, but maybe you have the option of transferring to a specialized unit for a while (i.e. a detective bureau/Community Policing/whatever your department offers.)

Leave a comment:

• Redders
    replied
    Super Vitamin B Complex right before starting the shift as well as at midpoint. In conjunction with the Vitamin D you should see a difference.

Leave a comment:

• Thin Blue Line
    replied
    Thanks guys. I don't know why we still go along with this schedule, but there is big resistance to change in our dept. I have started taking some supplements that i hope will work but we will have to see. I think I'm really just burned out with my dept. so much that I just cannot get motivated but it always seems to manifest itself on night shift.

Leave a comment:

• btfp
    replied
    Def take a look at your diet. start eating better. Also a little time off can do you great.

Leave a comment:

• grog18b
    replied
    Originally posted by reils49 View Post
    I'm going to try the vitamin D thing. I've been on nights for just over a year and at first it was fine, now I'm always tired. We work a 7P-7A; 2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off. I keep a sleep routine that works for me, albeit its too complicated for me to post here. I'm usually fine as long as I keep to the routine, but morning/afternoon court screws me up, or having a random day shift thrown into the mix for training. In those cases it might take me anywhere from a day to almost a week to get back on track.
    Let us know if it works. I'd like to know.

I worked a stint of 12 years of the MNP, and, for the most part, felt great all the time. We had a much better schedule. Ours was Sun-Thu night, 11pm-7am, every weekend off. We did all of our court on OT. It was that way for a long time, then a new CO decided that it was not "fair", so he took and made everyone work the MNP in all sorts of different shifts. I transferred out. At the new station, I worked a few of their 4 days off then 3-11, 7-3, 11-7 into a 8 day MNP stretch. THAT SUCKED.

If they offer you a straight MNP schedule, it is much easier to get into a routine. Not so important to the guys with only 5 years on and under 35, but once you hit 35+ with more than 5 years on... things get harder to bounce back from. GROG

Leave a comment:

• mtxpro752
    replied
    OP, What is the reason your department feels it is nessacery to make you guys rotate from days to nights so often? It takes a huge toll on the body. I can garauntee you the only reason they do it now is "That's how it's always been done." without any scientific or statistical data to show that it benefits the dept, the officer, or the city in any way.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by reils49 View Post
    I'm going to try the vitamin D thing. I've been on nights for just over a year and at first it was fine, now I'm always tired. We work a 7P-7A; 2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off. I keep a sleep routine that works for me, albeit its too complicated for me to post here. I'm usually fine as long as I keep to the routine, but morning/afternoon court screws me up, or having a random day shift thrown into the mix for training. In those cases it might take me anywhere from a day to almost a week to get back on track.
    Yep sounds familiar................also Melatonin to help you sleep a bit deeper.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4267 users online. 282 members and 3985 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X