Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine have been returned to check spelling but after I double checked it and my partner (who has the largest vocab known to man) checked it, we found no errors. I submitted it without changes and it was accepted without comment.
    We have had reports returned because the reporting officer failed to note that they were in full uniform and in a fully marked patrol car – um, that is how we always work...
    "Howard Roark laughed."

Comment

Originally posted by stormz5192 View Post
      Nope, cause I am the jerkoff that kicks them back. In the above case, it would depend weather the model of the vehicle was relevant. Even if I don't agree on how it is written, as long as it hits who,what,where, why and when and is grammatically correct, I sing off and forward it up.
      It was a DWI stop. Black Nissan with the LP listed makes it certain that we're talking about one particular car.

Originally posted by MI Law View Post
      Mine have been returned to check spelling but after I double checked it and my partner (who has the largest vocab known to man) checked it, we found no errors. I submitted it without changes and it was accepted without comment.
      We have had reports returned because the reporting officer failed to note that they were in full uniform and in a fully marked patrol car – um, that is how we always work...
      I always put that. After all, you could be working in an undercover capacity out of uniform in an unmarked patrol car. Not everyone knows it was a patrolman in a marked unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
        I just wanted to let you know you are not the only person to do that.

It is embarrassing, however, to be 50 yrs off in a report.

And a supervisor entrusted with proofreading other staff member's reports.

AND have it caught by a subordinate who you frequently return reports to for correction.

The guys goosed me for a while and a couple of wise guys even went so far as to place year reminder signs (the kind you find at the supermarket that says "Remember, the year is 2005") on my locker, in my patrol car, on my desk, etc. Needless to say, I spent a lot more time proof reading and never made the same mistake again. :-)
        Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by LawFowl View Post
          I always put that. After all, you could be working in an undercover capacity out of uniform in an unmarked patrol car. Not everyone knows it was a patrolman in a marked unit.
          It may be possible at your dept but it is not at mine. Our supervisor has insisted that this is included in all reports; this thread may motivate me to mess with him. "Standard issue dark blue uniform shirt with military creases along with issued badge and issued name tag worn over approved dark blue trousers with side pockets along with moderately polished black 8” boots while driving a fully marked patrol car with a dent on the hood near the passenger side headlight and large scratch along the driver's side rear quarter panel that smells like spoiled milk in July.”
          "Howard Roark laughed."

Comment

It may be possible at your dept but it is not at mine. Our supervisor has insisted that this is included in all reports; this thread may motivate me to mess with him. "Standard issue dark blue uniform shirt with military creases along with issued badge and issued name tag worn over approved dark blue trousers with side pockets along with moderately polished black 8” boots while driving a fully marked patrol car with a dent on the hood near the passenger side headlight and large scratch along the driver's side rear quarter panel that smells like spoiled milk in July.”
            You realize that from a grammatical point of view, you're stating that you have a scratch that smells like spoiled milk in July, right?
            The academy teaches you skills, the street gives you experience, but it all comes down to your instinct.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
              SRT,

I used to send emails to the Officers stating what needed to be there as a reminder for next time (and would CC the Sarge). That got old quick, so if the report was complete crap, I'd send an email to the Officer and CC the Sarge with the corrections that needed to be made. Never rude, just matter of fact. A Sarge from the other side (the side I never work with) fired back at my Det. Sgt. asking where I got the authority to do that. My Sarge opens up the case, adds MORE stuff to the email that I hadn't put there and returned it to the Sarge of the Officer with a terse note about how bad the report sucked.

I still send them to "my" side, but anything going to the other side goes via my Sarge first. I don't get it. Well. Actually, I do since the road Sgt shouldn't be approving them to begin with.
              That's one of the reason's for the change in our policy. We'd kick back reports to the detective sergeant who wouldn't do anything with them so we'd kick them back to the officers. The officers would then bitch about getting a report kicked back. Frankly, I don't blame them too much. Somehow that report managed to get past their shift sergeant who referred it to the bureau. It then got past the detective sergeant who is supposed to be reviewing cases prior to them being assigned. In a perfect world, if an officer makes a mistake on a report, it should be caught by their immediate supervisor so that the fix can be done right away instead of waiting for it go up the system and then back down again.
              \

Comment

I get a LOT that should have been. B&Es without the point of entry listed. B&Es of vehicles w/o the registered owner listed. Reports with no serial numbers of stolen items. I could go on for days. And none of it that I can't find myself but it's not my job and it's frustrating to constantly go behind the original officer and put what should have been listed.
                +1000. I also enjoy credit card fraud cases where the road doesn't bother to get the actual card number that was used. Kind of important.
                Be dangerous, and unpredictable... and make a lot of noise. - John Bush, Anthrax

Comment

Originally posted by RaucousSilence View Post
                  You realize that from a grammatical point of view, you're stating that you have a scratch that smells like spoiled milk in July, right?

Good thing I don't write reports half-drunk, just internet posts.
                  "Howard Roark laughed."

Comment

Originally posted by Georgetime View Post
                    +1000. I also enjoy credit card fraud cases where the road doesn't bother to get the actual card number that was used. Kind of important.
                    I'm working one now that he didn't even list the damn bank. I somehow knew LESS after reading the report. IMHO, it paints the entire agency in a bad light when I have to sit down with the victim and start all over.
                    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

The most frustrating thing to me is with our new computerized report system our records clerks now have the ability to kick back reports and they can be ridiculous about it. One of the clerks I swear is trying to give me a coronary by getting me ****ed off right at the start of my shift. She is so lazy that she kicked back several of my reports for reasons that would have become clear were not issues if she actually READ my report.

One was a supplement to a case that I had previously closed out that consisted of ONE sentence saying I was reopening the case so the Victim could seek a courtesy summons at the Magistrate. I get a note back with it saying "You have this case listed as active and Dep. WTPD3534 has it listed as admin closed which is it?"

The next time I responded to a domestic dispute which turned out to be a girl's underage brother being drunk off his behind acting stupid. After giving him a chance to calm down he of course didn't and I arrested him for Minor in Possession of Alcohol. Records clerk kicks my report back with a note saying "CAD system shows this as a domestic and no Victim information is listed."

That one caused me to make a phone call to her supervisor and ask if this clerk would kindly leave the law enforcement duties to me and just approve the reports as written. She admitted she had no business kicking my report back and tried claiming that she was new and she would talk to her about it.

Comment

Good thing I don't write reports half-drunk, just internet posts.
                        +1
                        I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

got one kicked back for using Approx. instead of approximately and Hrs. instead of Hours
                          Really ?
                          God could have made the world Fair or Round

Comment

Because I when I got done with 31 statements, re-listened to them all, then downloaded them, something went wrong and all you could hear was me talking.....I almost crapped my pants when I found out I had to re-interview all the scumsuckers again.

Comment

Originally posted by Georgetime View Post
                              Most of the time the victim does have the entire CC number but we do send all the paperwork the victim gets from the bank.
                              Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

Because I drew the vehicle as ending up 'in the garage' and listed it as 'moved by owner' on a crash report after an accident where I helped the owner push his car from his driveway (where it was struck) into the garage, instead of having the drawing reflect the vehicle remaining in the driveway, where 'baby mama drama' crashed into it several times.

And another that I listed as a vandalism despite the call coming out as a hit & run property damage. A guy said a car knocked his fence down, but didn't see it, didn't have any suspect info and said it probably happened w/i the last 3 months. There were no obvious marks on the chain link fence and no reason to absolutely call it a hit & run, so I changed the call to a vandalism and got it thrown back because only vehicles can cause 50 y/o rusted chain link fences to fall down.
                                LOST:
                                Individual Responsibility
                                If found, please return to society.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3908 users online. 241 members and 3667 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X