300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issued Weapons

I have been assigned to (with others), test, evaluate, and reccomend a department issued handgun for my department. Looking for advice if anyone has done this before. I am a firearms instructor and "gun guy". But wondering if anyone has any selection criteria or objective standards to share.

We are not issued sidearms from the department. Instead we have a list of approved firearms we can choose to carry. With that said, I hope you find the following information at least somewhat helpful.

I checked our policy and it lists criteria about certain weapons. It lists things like minimum barrel lengths for duty carry and off duty/BUG and the types of finishes allowed. It does not specify why the limits are set as such or how the conclusion was made as to what is acceptable.

I searched our policy and found no set standard by which a firearm is evaluated against in order to become eligable to be on the approved list. There is only a note that the firearms coordinator will test and evaluate a weapon to make sure it meets the departments standards (which are aparently a big secret). I can pm you our policy if you would like to take a look at it.

The one problem we seem to run into here is that if someone want's a gun approved, not only does it have to meet the "department standards", but it also has to please the coordinator's preference about certain brand's of weapons. Our boss always goes along with whatever the coordinator says as well. This is why nobody in the department hired after 2001 is allowed to carry a Smith and Wesson, including the M&P.

Does your department allow it's officers to purchase their own weapons instead of being issued one?

Comment

My department uses Glock 17 and Glock 19 handguns. I am biased towards them and highly suggest them as a duty gun.
      I shoot competitively with them and have found them to run flawlessly.
      The ammo is cost effective being 9mm.
      They are easy to clean and maintain.

Just my quick thought.

Comment

Our only condition on firearms is that we are required to hold atleast 45 rounds of ammo between our firearms and our belt.

Comment

I would PM forum member surf....... http://forums.officer.com/forums/member.php?46974-Surf ..........I think you can find him in the firearms section
          http://forums.officer.com/forums/for...hp?18-Firearms

He does for a living what you are wanting to do.....
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

We are also given a list of approved brands, and we pick which gun we want. There is no requirement on rounds it must carry or anything like that. We use common sense, buy the full size model and buy the subcompact for secondary or concealed carry/off-duty.

I recommend the glock. Its easy to use (great under stress) interchangeable magazines with small versions of the same weapon, and its proven. The glock has been around for a long time, and I've heard of tests where they sumerge it under water, bury it in sand, mud, or whatever and it still fires.

Comment

Thanks for the info, currently we purchase and carry our own firearms off an approved list, but the department want to move to a city owned/ issued sidearm.

Comment

PM me with your agency e-mail and I can send you a copy of the T&E report I did on our current sidearm & ammunition. It is limited but might be of some assistance.
                The opinions expressed here are from the individual only and do not represent the view of any agency that the poster may be affiliated with

Comment

I carried the Glock's for years until our department (Sheriff) would not allow them (switched departments) and now carry the Smith and Wesson M&P .40 which I call my "Slock" and love it. Multiple grips to accommodate different hand size, fits in a glock 21 holster and is vary similar. Just my thoughts. Be safe, good-times!
                  "I do not fear the man who yells, I fear the man who doesn't"

Comment

Love the generation 4 Glocks. Interchangeable grip so it will fit all sizes of hands. Especially the 23.

Comment

Did you hear about the department that went to the S&W 8 shot 357 mag revolver as a point man entry weapon? They mentioned that the barrel could be put through the shield, and the jam factor is gone. Interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                        Did you hear about the department that went to the S&W 8 shot 357 mag revolver as a point man entry weapon? They mentioned that the barrel could be put through the shield, and the jam factor is gone. Interesting!
                        One of the reasons why most armored car company's issue revolvers. Shooting a semi thru a gun port can get interesting.

I carried by Ruger Security Six 357 when I was playing AC driver.
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

#1) Why would a point man on entry want anything other than .00 buck shot coming out of his gun?

#2) Shooting a pistol out of a gun port from inside an armored vehicle is a great idea; on paper.

Comment

Originally posted by TacSloth View Post
                            #1) Why would a point man on entry want anything other than .00 buck shot coming out of his gun?
                            It's tricky holding a shield and firing a shotgun at the same time. I'm sure somebody has done or is doing it but I don't recommend it.
                            This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

Originally posted by tick View Post
                              I have been assigned to (with others), test, evaluate, and recommend a department issued handgun for my department. Looking for advice if anyone has done this before. I am a firearms instructor and "gun guy". But wondering if anyone has any selection criteria or objective standards to share.
                              If you call Glock they will send you a real live human being to show you why you need Glocks.

And....the other guys will too. Let them demo their product. That's what we did when we switched to Glock.
                              This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4620 users online. 297 members and 4323 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X