300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you get covered in blood?

I had an incident the other day that i dealt with a violent suspect that was bleeding heavily. I got covered in blood trying to restrain him. Is there a medicine that you carry on duty to spray to your self to prevent infection?

I'm going to suggest something for my PD to start carrying just in case of a situation that happened to me.

Thanks so much.

You don't "catch an infection" on your skin that you can just spray off. Communicable diseases are generally transmitted as blood to blood contact. Meaning you'd have to have some sort of open wound in order to have a risk of infection. If you don't have any open cuts you just wash your skin with soap/water. That's the best option. If you have open cuts you need to flush with soap and water and seek medical attention...

The best thing I've found (working as a medic for 8 years before switching careers) for taking blood out of clothes while on duty is just hydrogen peroxide...
    Life's too short for regrets...

I can learn something from anyone, even if it's what not to do...

Comment

Purell, Caviwipes, Soap. You department should also have a policy for reporting such incidents and determining if they are "significant exposure" that would warrant you going to the hospital for preventitive treatment and screenings.

Comment

watch out for vampires...........and sharks
        "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
        The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
        sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
        Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

There is a personal spray decontaminate for officers/fire/and EMS that is advertised in all the COP magazines...Maybe someone will remember what it is called and who makes it.

Comment

I carry a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in case that happens. I also carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer in my side pocket. In the event that were to happen, we also have the ability to generate a hazardous material contact report, so in the event that any infection or disease results it will be covered by them. The same report is also used in the event there is contact with chemicals or drugs in the course of duty.

Comment

Ambulances have those Hibiclens/Hibistat wipes in packets....they always kicked down handfuls to keep in our gear bag. I believe you can get them OTC from any Walmart pharmacy.
              This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

1. Just carry some basic wipes and wash up as soon as possible.

2. As other people have mentioned there are specific products on the market. I've seen advertisements for sprays that can be used in the mouth/wounds

3. The skin is an extremely effective barrier against disease. Unless you have cuts that result in blood on blood contact, I wouldn't worry much about it. If you do get their blood get in an open wound, go to the hospital immediately, getting on anti-virals right away can greatly reduce the chances of you contracting something like HIV

Comment

Check out Vionex wipes and hand gel. We can usually bum some from our local medics.

Comment

You should refer to your department's communicable disease policy. All dept's should have one.

Comment

Originally posted by elusive View Post
                      You should refer to your department's communicable disease policy. All dept's should have one.
                      HAHAHAHA you dont know my dept.

Comment

You at least should fill out a green sheet!

Ya never know down the line........

We had a deputy get exposed TB....and later down the road blood....

He is retired now...with full blown AIDS
                        This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I did complete a first line injury report.

I had our fire dept look at me and they said i was fine.

However it is always good to be prepared. What if i did have a cut on my arm? Its always good to be prepared.

Comment

If you have had an exposure, you can always do a blood draw on the suspect, at his expense to check for communicable diseases. If there is reason to believe the suspect has a communicable disease, there is a pill that can effectively stop any infection as long as it is taken within 3 hours of exposure (I believe). Inquire at your ER as it is a brand new medication and is on the order of $1500/pill...luckily my department has agreed to pay for it if we want it.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
                              There is a personal spray decontaminate for officers/fire/and EMS that is advertised in all the COP magazines...Maybe someone will remember what it is called and who makes it.
                              http://www.myclyns.com
                              All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3896 users online. 198 members and 3698 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X