300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verified LEO only section?

Do you think the admin here would allow us to have a section specifically for verfied LEO? I know there are more senior members here than me, but I would be willing to admin that section and personally verify proper credentials through email or phone call to agencies to verify employemnt.

I have been away from the board for a while, so please forgive me this idea has been shot down before, but I would really love a place we could discuss non-public issues in a private environment other "that other site"

Not going to happen here. Its been discussed many, many times and has not been found to be feasible.
    Originally posted by kontemplerande
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
      Not going to happen here. Its been discussed many, many times and has not been found to be feasible.
      Not feasible? Do you know in what respect? Surely not hardware/software wisw as tere would be very little to no strain on the current load unless the board EXPLODED. It is as simple as adding a board and assigning members with privledges to that section...it would not even have to be viewable to anyone excepth the members granted access

Comment

Originally posted by TJx2 View Post
        Not feasible? Do you know in what respect?
        Not feasible in that the board owners have said they aren't going to do it.

Comment

Not feasible? Do you know in what respect? Surely not hardware/software wisw as tere would be very little to no strain on the current load unless the board EXPLODED. It is as simple as adding a board and assigning members with privledges to that section...it would not even have to be viewable to anyone excepth the members granted access
          Its not feasible in the sense that the owners and operators of this board have zero interest in making a verified LEO section.

There have been many many threads asking this question. The answer remains (and sounds like it will always remain), "no"
          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

This board is ran by a private business with the goal of making money. Most of the money is from advertising revenue and the margins are slim, especially for the forums section. In order to have a properly functioning restricted access site, Cygnus would have to add personnel to review credentials and confirm them. No software or hardware can do that for them. Adding personnel increases costs and increasing costs will deeply bite into their already narrow profit margins.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
              Adding personnel increases costs and increasing costs will deeply bite into their already narrow profit margins.
              And they have said time and time again that they will not take on any more volunteers. They have one LEO that they verified (who doesn't partake in discussions) that plays part-time Mod over the weekends....and that's the only volunteer they have..... And seem very happy with that....so....

As for it working..? Yeah...it would work if you used verified volunteers to do a lot of the work but they (Cygnus) would have to add/divert staff to make those areas happen..... And they are unwilling to do it....

Comment

Like I have said in the past....the easiest thing would be to setup a forum else where for verified LEOs only. It's pretty easy to do now days and doesn't cost a lot of money.
                yeah!

Comment

Maybe I will look into setting up a LEO board with a private section for verified LEO. I would hate for the board admin to take 5 minutes out of his/her day to verify 1 volunteer who could admin the private section...but whatever floats their boat I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by Prov1x View Post
                    Like I have said in the past....the easiest thing would be to setup a forum else where for verified LEOs only. It's pretty easy to do now days and doesn't cost a lot of money.
                    I know of one place that did that.... they broke away from another Verified Forum due to in-fighting..... and both those boards suffered.....badly.

I haven't got verified status at either one of them (nor do I want it) but they both have public areas and they aren't active at all. Maybe inside they verified area is....but outside isn't. In my opinion, you need high traffic and a good name (like officer.com) to keep people showing up to keep your board active.

The one place just hooked up with ABP. Who knows if that helped them out. I just don't care for the previous butthole owner.... and have no desire to go there because I know his silly *** is still floating around there.....

Comment

The amount of misinformation here is staggering and wondersome. For over six months last year we had an "LEO Only" section that was available ONLY to verified officers. How would we verify them you ask? Members wanting access had to copy their creds and fax them to our Editor Frank Borelli (a retired officer of 24 years himself). He would give them the permission in that section and then shred their info. That was our only option (that we could think of) beyond getting an agency name, contact and phone number, and a name to go with the user name, so we could call the agencies and verify sworn status. In light of the growing use of online information used against officers during investigations, we didn't feel that users would want us calling their agencies.

In the six months that LEO ONLY section was up and available, one... that's ONE officer took advantage of it and got verified.

What are your thoughts? We can easily bring it back. We took it down because it was not being used and no matter how much interest was talked about, none actually happened. We welcome your suggestions, comments, etc.
                      sigpic
                      The Web's Source for Law Enforcement
                      PM for Technical Support or visit our contact page.

Comment

Good point in online info being used against us in investigations. A lot of us come here to vent, express our frustrations, etc. Once can only begin to imagine how anything we say can be spun, taken out of context or otherwise used against us by someone wanting to find "dirt".

Thanks for looking out for us ODC!
                        Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by OfficerDotCom View Post
                          The amount of misinformation here is staggering and wondersome. For over six months last year we had an "LEO Only" section that was available ONLY to verified officers. How would we verify them you ask? Members wanting access had to copy their creds and fax them to our Editor Frank Borelli (a retired officer of 24 years himself). He would give them the permission in that section and then shred their info. That was our only option (that we could think of) beyond getting an agency name, contact and phone number, and a name to go with the user name, so we could call the agencies and verify sworn status. In light of the growing use of online information used against officers during investigations, we didn't feel that users would want us calling their agencies.

In the six months that LEO ONLY section was up and available, one... that's ONE officer took advantage of it and got verified.

What are your thoughts? We can easily bring it back. We took it down because it was not being used and no matter how much interest was talked about, none actually happened. We welcome your suggestions, comments, etc.
                          count me in

Comment

Never mind....I found the post...from about a year ago.....and I did bump it....

My bad and I apologize for mouthing that it would never happen..... I quite honestly never saw the post....nor did a lot of people till I just checked your previous posts.......

Further, I am in the process of doing some info share stuff via email.....and about 40 folks (thus far) haven't had issues sending me their official emails with contact info (just in case).....

I think it would work if folks knew about it and the word got out......

Mahalo.....
                            Last edited by Bearcat357; 03-18-2011, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                              Never mind....I found the post...from about a year ago.....and I did bump it....

My bad and I apologize for mouthing that it would never happen..... I quite honestly never saw the post....nor did a lot of people till I just checked your previous posts.......

Further, I am in the process of doing some info share stuff via email.....and about 40 folks (thus far) haven't had issues sending me their official emails with contact info (just in case).....

I think it would work if folks knew about it and the word got out......

Mahalo.....
                              Same here. I never knew that they tried a verified area.

The last major discussion I remember about it dealt directly with cost issues.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5411 users online. 289 members and 5122 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X