300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University PD Reports

Guys, I wanted to asked any University officers on board if their department is constantly nit picking reports. Here is what I mean. You have a double space between words, or Was the item by the table, or on the table when it was stolen? Add that to your report.

My God you name it!!!!!!! NIT PICKING TO THE MAX ABOUT EVERY LITTLE MEANINGLESS THING.

I don't think your issue is specific to university PD's. I previously worked for a university PD and they couldn't care less where the bag was...they only cared about whether someone saw someone take the bag. If no witness (e.g. student leaves bag behind and comes back later and finds it gone), then they told us to report it as "lost property."

A co-worker was thrown out of a meeting once when he posed this question to the deputy director, "Lemme get this straight, if someone leaves their backpack in a classroom and comes back an hour later and it is gone, it is lost property...so if someone leaves their car in the parking lot and comes back an hour later and it is gone, that is also lost property, right?"

In my experience, the "nit-picking" of reports varies from agency to agency, as well as from supervisor to supervisor. Writing a clear, concise, and detailed report using correct grammar, spelling, and structure is a good habit to get into. What may seem like a trivial detail at time of report may become a crucial detail later on in the investigation (if there is one).

Comment

It's not nit picking, it's accuracy. Those little points may make the difference between classes of crime or crime vs incident. You are being paid to be accurate. Do that.
      Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

If your supervisor wants a very detailed report, give 'em a very detailed report. I don't know you, your dept. or your supervisor, but in over 20 years of reviewing reports I can tell you that some officers think putting in the elements of an offense in order to substantiate charges are "meaningless details." I can see your point to a degree (and I agree that some sergeants can just get silly), but if you are taking the report, you should know where it was taken from (on the table or by the table) and there is not any reason not to document the fact in your report other than you don't want to type three or four more words.

Comment

It’s better to err on the side of too detailed and accurate then less, if it’s not in the report did it happen. But yes, freaking out because of spacing or capitalization is a bit much. In the end, is your report going to hurt me in court or help me…
          Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by District B 13 View Post
            It's not nit picking, it's accuracy. Those little points may make the difference between classes of crime or crime vs incident. You are being paid to be accurate. Do that.
            I am paid to be accurate! Yeah, I know that, and I am very accurate with the details of what the crime was, the victim's info, witness statements, doing a canvas of the area, and so forth. I am talking about "one space" between letters here, not do I have all the information that will make a difference in the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
              I am paid to be accurate! Yeah, I know that, and I am very accurate with the details of what the crime was, the victim's info, witness statements, doing a canvas of the area, and so forth. I am talking about "one space" between letters here, not do I have all the information that will make a difference in the case.
              The bottom line is-----------your chief(Sgt, Lt, Capt, Major) makes the rules.

Often times those type of rules are due to a pet peeve of a particular supervisor------as long as their supervisors are happy with it, it will continue to be required.

If your command wants a report formatted in a certain way, you format the report that way.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Sackett, it's good to see that you are still around. Hope you are doing good. To begin with, it looks good in court with all of your i s dotted and t s crossed. Also, because you work for a college/university, your supervisor wants to prove that the college police are just as good or better than city, county, or state police. That's why you need to make sure you do it right the first time. I had the same problem with a supervisor at the college that I used to work for. Take care.

Comment

Guys, I wanted to asked any University officers on board if their department is constantly nit picking reports. Here is what I mean. You have a double space between words, or Was the item by the table, or on the table when it was stolen? Add that to your report.

My God you name it!!!!!!! NIT PICKING TO THE MAX ABOUT EVERY LITTLE MEANINGLESS THING.
                  Oh yeah that was my first college dept (notice I said first), if they didn't like your report they'd leave a copy in your mail box with the word "REDO" scrawled in red ink..for the most part I write pretty detailed reports anyway but some of the stuff that I've seen them gig for is beyond childish..I also do work as local as well and there is a noticable difference on what's an issue when it comes to paperwork...my main bitch with the school was multiple reports for one incident..say you did a minor car accident..ie fender bender..they'd wanted a general incident report, a Mass Registry Crash data form, a driver info exchange form, and pictures as well.. I could then go work a town shift..do a major accident with injury and all they require is a Mass Crash data form..unless it was an OUI or serious entrapment, fatal..etc which is reasonable...My second college is alot better about reports although they do have there moments too. Honestly I know working for a city or town isn't all it's cracked up to be but there's a special kind of nonsense when it comes to colleges and the things that are "big deals"
                  Last edited by Sgt Jack; 03-21-2011, 05:07 PM.
                  "Massachusetts it's NOT All here!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by mikeycoyote View Post
                    Sackett, it's good to see that you are still around. Hope you are doing good. To begin with, it looks good in court with all of your i s dotted and t s crossed. Also, because you work for a college/university, your supervisor wants to prove that the college police are just as good or better than city, county, or state police. That's why you need to make sure you do it right the first time. I had the same problem with a supervisor at the college that I used to work for. Take care.
                    Hey Mikey, I hope you are doing well. I am sure that you are correct, but it is still nerve racking to get called into the watch office about an extra space between words!!! Anyway, I am trying to give them what they want, and there has never been a time when I have not done my best to write a detailed report that has all of the needed information in it that will make a difference in the case. Stay Safe.

Comment

1) Write the report in MS Word then paste it in your report program, that will solve your grammatical mistakes, at least most of them.
                      2) Do what your superiors ask, it makes your job a whole lot easier.
                      West Chester University B.S. Criminal Justice: May 2009
                      Delaware County Community College Municipal Police Academy Class 126: July-Dec 2009
                      Full time Patrolman in Chester County, PA.

Comment

Hey Mikey, I hope you are doing well. I am sure that you are correct, but it is still nerve racking to get called into the watch office about an extra space between words!!! Anyway, I am trying to give them what they want, and there has never been a time when I have not done my best to write a detailed report that has all of the needed information in it that will make a difference in the case. Stay Safe.

By the way---------------------don't worry, just as soon as you get comfortable with the way your current boss wants things formatted--------------------you will change bosses, or he will get a new boss that wants things done differently.
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                          By the way---------------------don't worry, just as soon as you get comfortable with the way your current boss wants things formatted--------------------you will change bosses, or he will get a new boss that wants things done differently.
                          Truer words were never spoken.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

God knows that’s the truth!

BTW, I also do my reports in MS Word first and then paste in the report, saves time and aggravation, particularly at 0330 when I can’t spell my own name right…
                            Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3925 users online. 229 members and 3696 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X