300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Law enforcement and lifelock?

With the way things are going with an abundance of Officer's information getting leaked here and there to the internet, be it via the judicial system or other methods, this has got me thinking about buying lifelock or other anti-identity theft products. Around these parts our ID number is the last four of our SSN (which gets put on all kinds of forms that crooks get to see) and I dont think it would be too hard for a smart criminal to use a site like spokeo.com in conjunction with that to successfully steal an officer's identity online and cause a fiscal headache.

What is your opinions of lifelock or other similar services? Scam or worth the money?
    Last edited by SSD; 03-16-2011, 02:13 AM.
    sigpic
    Any and all statements made by this account represent my sole opinion and do not reflect an official opinion, belief, or policy of any department or agency to which I am employed by. Further, I am in no way authorized to speak on behalf of any department or agency.

You know how the owner of Lifelock proudly displays his real social security number in commercials and on billboards? Yeah, his identity has been stolen 13 times.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...dentity-theft/
    "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

What they tell you in the commercials isn't all that accurate. It's basically an insurance policy against losses you sustain due to identity theft.

They don't have some stealth database that can stop people from [tactic deleted in case a criminal reads this] and getting your identifying information anyway.

Your best bets are still a quality shredder and a reluctance to supply your social security number or other identifying information to people who ask for it.

Comment

I use them for my wife and myself but recently received a small check from a law suit filed against them for improper advertising. I will tell you that my junk mail has slowed and even stopped as have my "offers of credit cards" etc. I believe it is a good use of 9.00 per month.
        "I do not fear the man who yells, I fear the man who doesn't"

Comment

You can simply go online and fill out a free credit freeze to stop identity theft as far as opening new credit in your name. That is basically all Lifelock was doing and renewing it every 90 days on your behalf, until the government made them stop.
          Be dangerous, and unpredictable... and make a lot of noise. - John Bush, Anthrax

Comment

Originally posted by Georgetime View Post
            You can simply go online and fill out a free credit freeze to stop identity theft as far as opening new credit in your name. That is basically all Lifelock was doing and renewing it every 90 days on your behalf, until the government made them stop.
            Ding, ding, ding!

I investigate ID theft/fraud cases regularly and companies such as LifeLock do not do anything for you that you cannot do yourself. Georgetime hit the nail on the head with what they do. All you are really paying for is the convenience of someone doing for you and having someone to fuss at if they drop the ball. If you want to do it yourself, just call Equifax, Experian, or TransUnion and request a fraud alert be placed on your file and opt-out of allowing your file to be included in pre-approved offers of credit. The latter is what cuts down on the junk mail. In a nutshell, those offers work like this: Company x requests whichever credit bureau to give them the name and address of anyone in their files that meets whatever criteria company x provides, such as anyone above a certain credit score, or anyone with a mortgage loan, etc.

I do not know, however, if they offer any kind of guarantee such that if you are a victim, they will pay up to $x to restore your credit, etc. That might be worthwhile, but if that is all you need, then check with your homeowner's insurance company. Some of those offer it as part of HO policy at no added cost. USAA, for example provides up to $5000 for losses and expenses related to ID theft (last I checked).
            Last edited by SCDetective; 03-16-2011, 12:56 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

Lifelock is worth it for the sole reason that they provide you with the necessary means and expertise to restore your credit and clear your name if something ever happens. I once had some shady stuff on my credit report and they were able to look into it and fix it for me. I have had them for 4 years and keep them for that reason alone. I monitor my own credit, and those credit watch dog companies that charge you $29.95, etc a month are all a fraud.
              " The Beatings will continue until Morale Improves "

Comment

Your best bets are still a quality shredder and a reluctance to supply your social security number or other identifying information to people who ask for it.
                Exactly.

I worked ID theft for Social Security before it was a "vogue" crime that every agency was jumping into. Lots of stuff was coming out around the late 1990's that claimed to "prevent" ID theft. But all anyone really needed was some common sense - shred everything, don't mail bills by leaving them in your mailbox with the little 'flag' sticking up, don't be dumb enough to give your SSN to someone who doesn't need it, etc. And above all, put a lock on all your credit with all three major credit bureaus - Equifax, Experian, and Trans Union. Done.
                "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

FYI, you have to periodically renew those locks with the bureaus now. They weren't making enough money on locked folks, so they changed their policies to force you to re-up every year or two.

Comment

Isn't it great how big business came up with the term "identity theft". Simply put, the business, bank, etc was defrauded by a criminal, but that means they took a loss. So they put it back on the little guys (us) so they can keep making money. My personal info is not a real item that can be physically taken. Big business was a victim of fraud, now they put their burden on us, that had nothing to do with it.
                    Work harder! Millions on welfare depend on you...

Comment

Originally posted by Georgetime View Post
                      Would this prevent me from doing anything related to my credit (opening credit cards, getting loans, etc) if I put a freeze on my credit?
                      Live with honor, and let not your death be born by the pallbearers of disgrace, cruelty, weakness, and fear.

Comment

Doesn't stop you from doing it, just adds more verification to the process.

Comment

I decided to do the 60 day free trial thing with them, and I actually am quite happy with the instant alerts. Everytime I have done something credit related (today, for instance, I added a line on my mobile coverage) I am instantly alerted via email on my iPhone that someone has ran my credit... Maybe life lock isn't the cheapest service that does this, but its the first I've seen to far. And primarily for that reason I'm liking it so far, we'll see if I still like it when its not free anymore.
                          sigpic
                          Any and all statements made by this account represent my sole opinion and do not reflect an official opinion, belief, or policy of any department or agency to which I am employed by. Further, I am in no way authorized to speak on behalf of any department or agency.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6314 users online. 345 members and 5969 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X