300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally confused

I am the Chief of a small, 2 man, part-time agency and really don't know what to think of this. There are several outspoken people in the Village that passed around a petition to disband the police department, which failed. This was done in January and the council person that they convinced to bring it to the council quit after it was shot down before even being voted on. Now the 4 ringleaders have been able to get themselves placed on the election ballot for next months election, and are the only ones that have been placed on that ballot. They have made it known that after their election that they intend to disband the PD, dispose of the equipment, then resign so new members will then need to be appointed. At March's council meeting a petition to keep the PD was brought in, with alot more signatures. This fact did not appear to any affect of the new-to-be council members. No one can find, or understand, why these people have such a grudge against law enforcement. I have given the Mayor my resignation, although he has not advised the council of it. I have worked there forv 4 years in my spare time from my full-time job, 31 years at PPD, and I'm totally confused by this. Oh well just an old cops rant.

You've been a cop for 31 years and it still confuses you that people suck?

Comment

Just as a side note, I assume you have a five person city council. If the four members immediately resign, you will no longer have a quorum and elected city government will not be able to function until you have at least two more new members. You might want to check and see if the law allows someone to appoint interim council members in such situations. If it does not, you may have to wait until the next election before the business of elected officials can continue again. In turn this can cripple city government.

In short, the unseen consequences of your group of four's agenda can really screw the town big time.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Devon
        Is it a Village or a Town PD? Village PD's cannot be disbanded without a majority vote from the residents.
        Not around here. While a Village PD has more rights than a township PD, the board can disband it as a matter of policy. No vote is required by the populace.

The village I live in has gone through this same battle several times. The local bar owners are very anti-police and have put their own candidates forward with the sole intention of disbanding the PD. They succeeded once, but when the citizens started to have to wait for the sheriff's department to show up (1800 square miles) and that people were getting arrested for things that the locals would have let slide, a new board got elected. Of course, they haven't learned the lesson and there is a now a new movement to disband them again.
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

The Village Council has 6 members and the Mayor. Four with 2 year terms and two with 4 year terms. The Mayor has a 4 year term and a vote only if a tie occurs. The department was formed in Jan of 2007 by this Mayor and 4 members of the present council. I have created everything from the ORI on. The council does have the power to disband and sell off all the equipment that has been aquired, either through donations or grants. The only things they can't dispose of are the items that belong to me personally. The department was created because the county was slow about responding or not at all after a town meeting. I didn't even apply for this job, they came to me after the Sheriff and Chief Deputy suggested that they contact me. I created PPD's FTO program in 1987, and have had a hand in the training of most of the LEO's in our county. The Mayor is trying to get it on the election ballot, although it wasn't on a ballot to create it.
          Last edited by kannahspapa; 03-12-2011, 04:26 PM.

Comment

How big is the town and are they supportive of the police? Also, PPD?
            Originally posted by Ceridwen
            Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Originally posted by dontknowwhy View Post
              How big is the town and are they supportive of the police? Also, PPD?
              Paris Police Department?

Comment

All I can say is you are lucky that this is your PART TIME job and not your full time job.

The op is a Full time officer in one small town in Illinois and the part time chief in another smaller town in Illinois.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

If you are where I think you are I know the issues you are facing. I wouldn't lose a whole lot of sleep over it but it wouldn't be a bad idea to get you together the number of calls for service, emergeny calls for service, and special details together and posted in the papers to show how much the community really needs you.

Comment

Don't underestimate those peoples intention/willingness to try to sell your stuff too! They are making a fiasco of your village, why not ruin everything else while en route.
                    If you can't convince them, confuse them
                    Harry Truman

For every thousand hacking at the leaves of evil, there is one striking at the root

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I wouldn't put it past them to stay in power and not resign as they stated they would.

Who's kid got arrested?
                      What does the sheriff have to say about it? Have they even talked to him?
                      Have you talked to the district attorney or state AG?
                      Last edited by OneAdam12; 03-13-2011, 08:54 AM.
                      Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Stick with your f-t gig and run away from this p-t which is about to be run by the village idiots!

Man, I can not get over the number of teeny-tiny p-t Agencies in the USA!
                        #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                        Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                        RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                        Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                        "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo View Post
                          Different culture buddy.

We don't have a centralized LE agency like the RCMP----------and our Cities/Counties/Townships are really big on "Home Rule" so we also don't have organized centralized STATE agencies either.
                          The country really was founded on each governmental body being in charge of themselves via their elected representatives.........................

It works well for us.................and probably wouldn't work well for you guys up North.
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

If I were you I would start discussing it on every call, with every one I stop and contact telling them that this could all go away. If you truly enjoy what you are doing (obviously it's not because of the money) it is at least worth that. Something like "if this goes through you would be waiting another __ minutes for a deputy. I have to think that the populous votes in the members. Start with the public you serve. Just my thoughts from another part-time Deputy.
                            "I do not fear the man who yells, I fear the man who doesn't"

Comment

When/if they get elected and the wheels are put in motion put up big signs with their intentions. Let the people know how long they'll wait if they disband the force.

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo View Post
                              Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                              Different culture buddy..
                              You ain't kiddin! Here we probably have about 30 officers in less than 1 square mile.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3998 users online. 253 members and 3745 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X