300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alleged Police Brutality

ONEONTA _ The Common Council is seeking an outside investigator to probe a report of police brutality.

The move came during an emergency meeting convened Thursday by Mayor Dick Miller.

Bradford Shanks, 39, of Oneonta, told The Daily Star he was punched several times in the head by an officer, who had him on the ground and in a headlock, during a traffic stop on Market Street on Friday afternoon.

The officer involved was Michael Breen, according to Shanks.

Miller, Police Chief Joseph Redmond and other city officials have not released the officer's name or any details. Breen was hired by the city in 2008.

"Allegations have been made that an officer of the Oneonta Police Department may have used what might be termed as excessive force in making an arrest of a city resident Friday, Jan. 28, 2011," a media release from the city stated. "The matter is being investigated by city officials following established procedures to ensure that the rights of the individual making the allegations and the police officer are protected."

The Common Council is seeking a "qualified, independent individual" to review the case and issue a report, according to the release.

"In accordance with New York state law, no further comment on the details of this incident will be released," the statement concluded.

Shanks gave the following account: He was driving on Market Street at 2:30 p.m., when he was pulled over in front of the Copper Fox. Turning into the Clinton Plaza parking lot, he was told by officers that he was pulled over for talking on his cell phone. Officers told him that they would drop a cell phone ticket if he let them search his car. He agreed to the search, and while it was under way, a check of his driver's license revealed a suspension.

Shanks disputed the suspension and told officers he had been at the police station three days earlier to clear up the matter. He then fled from the traffic stop on foot, saying he was headed to the police station to get a sergeant. He tripped over a snow bank and fell into the street. Breen put him in a headlock in the middle of the street, while other officers held him down. His money was slipping out of his pants pocket, and he attempted to stuff it back in the pocket. At this point, Breen told him to get his hand out of his pocket and punched him three to five times in the head, according to Shanks' account.

Redmond said Thursday he had no comment on the allegation or on how the department handles such complaints. Lt. Dennis Nayor did not immediately return calls for comment placed to his office phone and his cell phone.

Breen does not have a listed phone number.

Shanks was charged Friday with third-degree aggravated unlicensed operation, resisting arrest and second-degree harassment. He was also charged with unlawful possession of marijuana.

Shanks told The Daily Star he had marijuana hidden in a sock, which was discovered by police during a strip search at the station after his initial arrest.

The Fonda Avenue resident also said he e-mailed the mayor and Sixth Ward Alderman Veronica Diver to complain about the alleged treatment.

Shanks said he met with Redmond and Nayor on Wednesday to discuss the matter and said the department's two senior officers were "nice and very polite."

Breen made him sign a statement saying he refused medical treatment even though he had requested to be taken to the emergency room, Shanks said.

After Shanks was bailed out of the station's lock-up, his wife took him first to A.O. Fox Memorial Hospital in Oneonta, but because there was a wait, they then went to Bassett Medical Center in Cooperstown, where he had a CAT scan and X-rays, Shanks said.

Shanks said he was at Bassett for four or five hours before being released. He said he had no fractures, but said he still has blurred vision in his right eye.
    It just came down that this officer is receiving a 30 day suspension without pay as well as possible criminal charges......because this is so close to home I'm just looking to gauge other's opinions.

Hmm cop pulls over savage, savage is suspended, savage flees police, savage resists arrest and refuses to surrender his hands, officer fearing for his safety uses reasonable physical force to effect a lawfull arrest. Am I missing something?
    It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not

Comment

It appears that cut and dry to me as well....I guess we are simpletons...

Comment

I don't know what the officer wrote in his report, but the perp did a good job of articulating why he got his *** rightfully whooped.
        Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
        Albert Einstein

Comment

He ran because he was running to the Po-leece station to get a SGT.......
          WHen apprehended, he felt his money slip out of his pocket so he shoves his hands in there to secure it, instead of complying with the officers orders.......

Why does the "public" continue to believe dooshbags over the cops?
          "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
          The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
          sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
          Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

In a separate interview the defendant states that he was concerned for his eye because the other one is a glass eye from a previous incident.....I'd like to know more about that incident.

Comment

I see nothing wrong with the offiicer's actions. Maybe he shouldn't run from traffic stops, wait, I'm using common sense. The 30 day suspension is outrageous.
              Those of us that are in this profession have much thicker skins than the average person. Your "insults" are not even a good pimple on the *** of what truly bothers us. -Iowa 1603

Comment

Pretty text book use of force based on the suspects description of what happened. I don't see the issue.
                The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

I've "met" the defendant several times before...he's quite familiar with all of the leos around here. I'm discouraged by what I know and am interested to see how it plays out with the DA's office.

Comment

This makes me want to vomit.....

Comment

A 30 day rip is unreal, I'm interested to see how this plays out.
                      It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not

Comment

For a 30 day suspension and possible criminal charges I sure hope that there is more to the story. If not that is one screeeeewwwwwwed up agency.
                        The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Sounds like the brass holes are hanging this officer out to dry to appease a scumbag and avoid a civil suit. I would not want to work for that department. Hopefully the wrongfully suspended has a good pba attorney and fights the charges tooth and nail. Remember fellas, i'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!
                          " The Beatings will continue until Morale Improves "

Comment

That is the problem with what we do. Even when by the book there is someone who wants to complain. YOU RAN FROM A TRAFFIC STOP ******* I DON'T CARE IF YOU WERE RUNNING TO GET THE AVON LADY YOU BROKE THE LAW AND KEPT YOUR HANDS IN YOUR POCKET. How is this so hard to understand?????
                            Neither a Republican nor Democrat, both parties are hopelessly flawed.

RIP to all my fallen brothers and sisters in blue I hope one day I can live up to your legacies because you live forever in my mind.

To anyone non-LEO don't get it twisted. Us officers may disagree on politics, sports, and any other issue but we will always be brothers and sisters at the end of the day and have each others back. To think otherwise is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
                              I don't know what the officer wrote in his report, but the perp did a good job of articulating why he got his *** rightfully whooped.
                              My thoughts exactly. This situation is completely f'ed up.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3410 users online. 160 members and 3250 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X