300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another example of why you should carry while off duty

A gun-firing psycho was shot and killed this afternoon after he walked into a Brooklyn barbershop and was stopped by an off-duty city correction officer who was inside getting his hair cut, witnesses said.

The gunman, who has not been identified by police, walked into Naciones Barbershop at 1706 Bath Avenue in Bath Beach holding a gun, firing two shots.

That's when the officer, who was getting a haircut, pulled out his gun, firing three bullets and killing the man.

"I heard an argument. ... Lots of commotion," said witness Enrique Perez, 48, who lives above the barbershop. "That's when I heard gunfire, like five shots."

The correction officer was also not identified.

Perez said two shots looked like they had come from one gun, presumably the man who had entered the shop, and three were from the correction officer.

"I saw this guy shot on the floor shot in the face," said Perez.

He said he the correction officer told him, "This guy was going to take someone out. He was on the warpath."

Perez said the gunman looked like he never had a chance.

"He had bullets in his face," he said.
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...#ixzz1G3Q8WNYw

Even if you don't want to get involved in incidents while off duty, sometimes the incidents find you!
    “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Nice job by the CO............
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by NYCDep View Post
      Even if you don't want to get involved in incidents while off duty, sometimes the incidents find you!
      Very true. Good to hear no innocents were hurt.
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Perez said the gunman looked like he never had a chance.

I thought that was the point, NOT to give the gunman a chance...
        It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
        Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

2nd best line in the article: Perez said the gunman looked like he never had a chance.

Best line in the article: "He had bullets in his face," he said.
          Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Witness comments **** me off. Good job by the CO.
            "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

*applaud*

great job

Comment

I dunno

This sounds kinda fishy......they lived NEXT door to eachother and had a fued for a very long time.
                Just plain weird.
                DISCLAIMER: All opinions are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of my agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Kycop28 View Post
                  This sounds kinda fishy......they lived NEXT door to eachother and had a fued for a very long time.
                  Just plain weird.
                  No not really

They didn't get along.....................Subject A finally got ****ed enough to try something when Subject B was in a barber chair. Subject A's mistake was thinking the trained officer would be at a disadvantage. Subject B was NOT at as much of a disadvantage as Subject A thought.
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                    No not really

They didn't get along.....................Subject A finally got ****ed enough to try something when Subject B was in a barber chair. Subject A's mistake was thinking the trained officer would be at a disadvantage. Subject B was NOT at as much of a disadvantage as Subject A thought.
                    I read another article, didnt realize the CO was the target
                    DISCLAIMER: All opinions are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of my agency.

Comment

This one is a little more in depth

My understanding is that Calabro's son is a serving FDNY FF.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...#ixzz1G8mh6Xxn

The city correction officer who shot and killed his notoriously hot-tempered neighbor after he came after him with an illegal handgun will not be charged in the elderly man’s death because he acted in self defense, multiple sources said today.

The case is so clear cut, it’s unlikely that the Brooklyn District Attorney’s office will even convene a grand jury to investigate the shooting of Carmelo Calabro, 75, sources told The Post.

Officer Michael Mininni, 25, was in the middle of getting his hair cut at a Brooklyn barbershop when he was threatened by a gun-waving Calabro, 75.

It’s unclear what specifically set off Calabro. But the two families have lived side by side in Brooklyn for decades and had a long-standing feud that erupted into violence on Tuesday.

They argued over petty issues like where they placed their garbage cans and dropping cigarette butts.

No one could have predicted that the ornery ex-pugilist, who became even more distressed after his firefighter son died on 9/11, would be slain by bullets fired by Mininni, a guard at Rikers Island.

The incident unfolded shortly after 1 p.m. while the unsuspecting Mininni was in the middle of a haircut in the Naciones Barbershop at 1706 Bath Ave. in Bath Beach.

Like a character out of a Martin Scorsese flick, Calabro marched into the shop brazenly brandishing an illegal .25-caliber semiautomatic handgun and waving it at Mininni, police said.

Mininni, whose family serves in law enforcement, leaped out of the barber's chair and pulled his Glock 9mm service weapon, authorities said.

The two men started tussling in front of horrified customers.

During the struggle, Mininni fired four shots at his neighbor, hitting him in the face and torso, police said.

"I heard an argument . . . Lots of commotion," said witness Enrique Perez, 48, who lives above the shop. "That's when I heard gunfire."

He rushed downstairs and saw a bloodied Calabro on the floor.

Perez said Mininni told him, "This guy was going to take someone out. He was on the warpath."

In 2003, Calabro punched Stephen Mininni, Michael's father, in the face and caused him to fall into a parked car.

Calabro then took a snow shovel and swung at Mininni's mother. He also threatened to kill the family and burn their house down.

Calabro was charged with assault in the 3rd degree. He pleaded gulitly to criminal possession of a weapon in the 4th degree (a misdemeanor) and was released on a conditional discharge.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...#ixzz1G9gx2OV4
                      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 03-09-2011, 07:23 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5796 users online. 342 members and 5454 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X