Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian Review Boards...

W. T. F.

Why would someone use a group of civilians to decide if police are right/wrong, or if it's a good/bad shoot? How stupid can you be?

I find that equivalent to allowing a group of gas station attendants to grade the bar exam tests.

(no offense to gas station attendants that may have been harmed during the making of this post)

That's the nice thing about working for a sheriff's office. The sheriff can't be fired by politicians and is not subject to their whims. If the community as a whole is not satisfied, they'll vote him out in due course. A PD here had a civilian review board for a few years. It was worthless, and finally disbanded due to budget cuts. I'm not sure what the current law is on civilian review, but I don't think that they have access to personnel files and other confidential materials. I thought there was a ruling some time back that said that officers being forced to testify to civilian review boards violated POBR.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I agree with both of you: Civilian Review Boards don't work.

I personally have no problem with oversight of law enforcement agencies but this should be conducted by qualified people. I don't think I would have a problem with an adjacent law enforcement agency's investigator's reviewing a lethal force encounter (assuming they had the same training that my agency had), better yet I would prefer my own agency to assign an investigator(s) to review the lethal force encounter.

I don't work in an area that has Civilian Review Boards but if I did I would not want someone judging my actions without walking a mile in my shoes, without the same training that I have and without any personal or political agenda.

Comment

There already is oversight. In the case of a police department, it's the city council. They can fire the chief if they don't like how his department is doing things. In the case of a sheriff, the voters can put someone else in office come election time, or even recall him. There is also POST and the state attorney general. Most uses of deadly force are subject to independent review by the DA's office. As far as policy violations go, only the involved agency can determine that, as each agency has different policies. And it is not possible to have a civilian review board without a political agenda, because political agendas are what brings their existence in the first place.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I laugh..I have been called to our CRA three times...I walk in thank them for the overtime and just read a book.
          Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NwAnEvWdBU
            It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3871 users online. 250 members and 3621 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X