Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HR 218-LEOSA Concealed Carry Permit for retired LEO.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HR 218-LEOSA Concealed Carry Permit for retired LEO.

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the procedure for applying for a CWP through the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act, (LEOSA), HR-218? I know each state has a different policy on this. To date I have not been able to find out how to obtain one. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Codeman

Originally posted by codemanski View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had any information on the procedure for applying for a CWP through the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act, (LEOSA), HR-218? I know each state has a different policy on this. To date I have not been able to find out how to obtain one. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Codeman
    Actually each state can't have a different policy, it's federal law that was passed to standardize concealed carry for LEOs throughout the states. Essentially the requirements are, your agency has to give you retired LEO creds after serving 15 years (I think the time limit was reduced by the recent amendment) and you have to qualify yearly on the state firearm course. It is not like a CCW the state gives you. The actual law (before the recent amendment) can be found here: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...6---C000-.html
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

kc12,
      What I meant is that I am having a problem with my former agency and getting a copy of my "walking papers". Thanks for the info!
      Codeman

Comment

Originally posted by kc12 View Post
        Actually each state can't have a different policy, it's federal law that was passed to standardize concealed carry for LEOs throughout the states. Essentially the requirements are, your agency has to give you retired LEO creds after serving 15 years (I think the time limit was reduced by the recent amendment) and you have to qualify yearly on the state firearm course. It is not like a CCW the state gives you. The actual law (before the recent amendment) can be found here: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...6---C000-.html
        BUT if your agency does NOT issue retired credentials, you are out of luck.------and the new amendment makes the length of service 10yrs.

I know a lot of retired LEO's in my area just go get a carry permit (Iowa is now a SHALL ISSUE state) from the county sheriff.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

(F*** Off Cuz Ur Stupid)

Comment

Originally posted by codemanski View Post
          kc12,
          What I meant is that I am having a problem with my former agency and getting a copy of my "walking papers". Thanks for the info!
          Codeman
          Are you being retired or terminated? If you are retiring with ten or more years of service, you need a retired ID card issued by your agency and a certification that you are permitted to CCW under state law. If you are being terminated, you are ineligible to CCW unless you get a permit from your PD or SO.
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

"walking papers" uhh that doesn't sound good. Sgt is correct.
            This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Codeman is a honorably retired Correctional Officer from Colorado--------with LEO status.

His "walking papers" are his retirement papers...........................

My department does not issue retired credentials either!------
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

(F*** Off Cuz Ur Stupid)

Comment

Thanks Iowa...you are correct on my status. I guess it's time to start rattling some "cages"! I think i'll start with HR, the Training Academy and the Inspector General and see where it goes! Thanks for the input all,

Codeman

Comment

If you have retired ID or proof of retirement/separation after 10 years or longer service, you are eligible. However, you must get certified in firearms at least once a year from the agency that you retired from or if your agency doesn't provide such qualification, then you can get it done through a private instructor who is certified to teach firearms to active police firearms in that state.
                  Last edited by M1garand; 12-29-2010, 02:04 PM.

Comment

My apologies codeman.
                    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                      Are you being retired or terminated? If you are retiring with ten or more years of service, you need a retired ID card issued by your agency and a certification that you are permitted to CCW under state law. If you are being terminated, you are ineligible to CCW unless you get a permit from your PD or SO.
                      Sarge, there is NO requirement to have a certification from your former dept. All that is REQUIRED for retirees is a photo ID (10yrs seperated honorably) and a recent (within 1 yr) qualification to your dept or state, fed standard. A CCW permit is strongly suggested if your state has one. The CCW protects you outside LEOSA in those states requiring licenses. An example...here in NYS, if you miss a qualification and didn't have a permit you could be a collar. The next example is a doosie. The Feds have a law on the books making it a crime to carry in a school zone...UNLESS you are active LE or a permit holder. The law has not be revised to include a retiree under LEOSA. If it were a state law retirees would be exempt, as FED law would trump state law...not in this case. There are others, too numerous to explain here.

Sorry for the long winded post.
                      Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                        My apologies codeman.
                        No problem x2...I should have worded my post differently. Thanks!

Codeman

Comment

Originally posted by 1911user View Post
                          Sarge, there is NO requirement to have a certification from your former dept. All that is REQUIRED for retirees is a photo ID (10yrs seperated honorably) and a recent (within 1 yr) qualification to your dept or state, fed standard. A CCW permit is strongly suggested if your state has one. The CCW protects you outside LEOSA in those states requiring licenses.
                          LEOSA is your permit. it doesn't matter whether a state requires a permit or not. That was the point of LEOSA to stop each state from coming up with it's own laws for LEOS and making it very difficult to figure out all the nuances.

An example...here in NYS, if you miss a qualification and didn't have a permit you could be a collar.
                          That's anywhere, not just NY. If the retired officer misses a qualification then they are no longer covered under LEOSA. This is where having a CCW would come in handy.

The next example is a doosie. The Feds have a law on the books making it a crime to carry in a school zone...UNLESS you are active LE or a permit holder. The law has not be revised to include a retiree under LEOSA. If it were a state law retirees would be exempt, as FED law would trump state law...not in this case. There are others, too numerous to explain here.
                          Yup, the LEOSA didn't not adjust any federal laws only state and local laws. It would be interesting to see the outcome if something like this ever goes to court. Essentially carrying under LEOSA is carrying on a CCW, but I'd like to see the court's decision on it. "Essentially carrying on a CCW" and "carrying on a CCW" are not the same thing.
                          But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                            LEOSA is your permit. it doesn't matter whether a state requires a permit or not. That was the point of LEOSA to stop each state from coming up with it's own laws for LEOS and making it very difficult to figure out all the nuances.

That's anywhere, not just NY. If the retired officer misses a qualification then they are no longer covered under LEOSA. This is where having a CCW would come in handy.

Yup, the LEOSA didn't not adjust any federal laws only state and local laws. It would be interesting to see the outcome if something like this ever goes to court. Essentially carrying under LEOSA is carrying on a CCW, but I'd like to see the court's decision on it. "Essentially carrying on a CCW" and "carrying on a CCW" are not the same thing.
                            Getting a CCW from your home state covers you where/when LEOSA doesn't. There are LOOPHOLES in LEOSA, so, although not required for a retiree, it is prudent to get at least one and better if you have a few. It will be a long time before all the kinks are worked out regarding LEOSA. I for one do not want to be a TEST case.
                            Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

Sarge, there is NO requirement to have a certification from your former dept. All that is REQUIRED for retirees is a photo ID (10yrs seperated honorably) and a recent (within 1 yr) qualification to your dept or state, fed standard. A CCW permit is strongly suggested if your state has one. The CCW protects you outside LEOSA in those states requiring licenses. An example...here in NYS, if you miss a qualification and didn't have a permit you could be a collar. The next example is a doosie. The Feds have a law on the books making it a crime to carry in a school zone...UNLESS you are active LE or a permit holder. The law has not be revised to include a retiree under LEOSA. If it were a state law retirees would be exempt, as FED law would trump state law...not in this case. There are others, too numerous to explain here.

Sorry for the long winded post.
                              a certification that you are permitted to CCW under state law.
                              It is a matter of semantics. We call the qualification document certification. Without it, you will not be covered by your former agency - which is what it is all about. I suggest that any retired peace officer join their state association and obtain the separate insurance that many associations offer. For example, the California Peace Officers Association offers legal services which cover a great many things.
                              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11909 users online. 502 members and 11407 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X