Getting out of the military after 10 years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting out of the military after 10 years

I am posting this here because I want the opinions of current officers that may have been in my situation.

I am coming up on my 10th year in the AF and I am tired of dealing with the AF BS. With the way things are going I dont know if I want to be in the military any longer. I have been a reserve for about two years now and I think I have a good idea what my potential career will entail. I love getting suited up and going on patrol. Whether a slow night or an action packed night I love the LE lifestyle. So I guess my question is:

Has anyone out there given up their military career for an LE one? I know many get out after 4-6 years but at 10 I am on the downhill slope. And this seems to be a normal, but has anyone made it this far and went LE? Positives, Negatives? Lessons learned?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Batman

One caveat, I dont like to think of my duties as "Just a reserve" and go out for fun. I have a sincere desire to help our deputies in situations where being alone...sucks. Not to toot my own horn but there are several deputies that have told me "You are the only reserve I will let ride with me." That alone is the biggest compliment I could receive as a reserve. I really want to serve along side, and not just shotgun, with "Our" community.

Comment

10 years passes fast and then you can draw a pension and go full time in LE.

You talk about AF BS, ..... well, there's enough BS to go around out here too.

Just saying ..... think long and hard about leaving on the downside.
      "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

I was SF in the AF for only 4 years and I got out solely because of the BS. I found there is just as much BS on the civilian side of the fence as well. You might not have seen a lot of it being a reserve. I know I was in 4 years and all but I suggest you really think about it. There are many days I wish I would have stayed in with the BS. Just my 2 cents.
        What Is A Veteran?
        A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

Originally posted by t150vsuptpr View Post

THIS^^^^^^!!!!!

i suspect that if you finish your 20 and then get into a LE gig you'll look back and be THANKFUL you stuck it out! i would've retired a year a half ago if i had stuck out my initial enlistment...what an idiot i was!

Comment

Or go federal LE and buy your time back...then it wont be a wasted 10 years. Do 20 yrs and get paid for 30. That's what I did.
            sigpic Bet they got a ticket for obstructing the rear window. God Bless America!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasmblack View Post
              I found there is just as much BS on the civilian side of the fence as well.
              There is....and even more so if you end up working for a smaller town/city/county that is tight on money.....or some big dept that just thinks of you as a number and doesn't give two craps about you.......

Originally posted by Rasmblack View Post
              There are many days I wish I would have stayed in with the BS.
              Same here.... I'd been done and had 5 years on with a LEO agency like 2-3 of my buddies are doing now.....and not worry about the low pay a lot of place in MO are paying because of the retirement pay coming in.....Plus having PX/Comm/Tri-Care/Space A privleges.....

Comment

Give thought to going federal as ujocka suggested..don't waste the time you've already served.

FYI, I'll have 7 years in when I separate and begin the academy.

Comment

You are in an extremely awkward position, as others have said, you are more than halfway through to a pension. After you finish that, then you can begin your career in law enforcement. Heck, after 20 years in the Air Force, I imagine still have 10-15 working years left before you even began to think about retirement. You might not like your current job, but then again, most people don't like their jobs.

If you just had 4 years in and didn't care for a re-up, I'd fully recommend you go LEO... but that isn't case. Suck it up and finish out your 20 would be my advice. I imagine if you quit now (if you could) and became an LEO... you'd regret your decision, in say, 10 years.

Comment

I had 6 1/2 years in the Marine Corps when I punched out. I was working with a great crew, had good promotion opportunity, a nice apartment... life was good. But I was sick and tired of it, recently home from a war I had mixed emotions about, married with a little guy on the way........it was the hardest thing I've EVER done. Harder than being in combat, harder that being on the job.

I like what I do now, but if I had to do it over, I would do my 20 in the Marine Corps and then get into LE.
                    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

I'm confused. Are you asking about getting out of the reserves? I never understood guys who got out on the downhill slide. You're fooling yourself if you think you are going to find less BS somewhere else.

Comment

I’m on terminal leave now, in two weeks I will be official retired from the US Army. I am a MP. I got out after my first enlistment, and went to work for a Police Dept Back home. The BS never stopped. After 3 years with a PD, and then a SO, I went back to active duty. It has paid off.

1. You will have to look at some things like does your state have maximum age for police officer, down south I can work anywhere, up north, I’m to old based on there civil service rules.

2. What’s your MOS/occupation in the AF? And what’s your pay grade? Are you in a high stress, or happy go lucky job? Do you have potential to get promoted? Your in the AF, us guy’s from the Army and Marine Corp only wished we lived like you guy’s.

3. Who else depends on you for support? My kids are now 2 years old, wife was able to take care of her self all the times I was gone, but now that I have twins, I’m glad to be home for good. But we are insured for life now.

The decision is ultimately yours, and you have to live with it. Like some said, go federal, If your in Mexico, and you like it, go look at the Border Patrol.

Comment

From what I'm reading, you're AD AF and a reserve LEO. You can always get out and join the AF Reserves. Look into the IMA program as it seems to be the most flexible. The deployments for IMA's seem to be non existant unless you volunteer. One thing I would do if I could do it all over, since I was in your kind of situation, is cross train once I was in the reserves. If the LE thing doesn't work out, you now have another skill to fall back on. And you still get to keep all the BX and base type privledges, Tri-care, and all the other stuff. You'll still get your retirement, although it might be a bit later than if you stay AD. (Plus, if you need a break from you LE job, you can always "depoly" to someplace like UAE or Qatar and relax for six months.)

Comment

Originally posted by t150vsuptpr View Post

This X79.^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Batman21 View Post
                              Has anyone out there given up their military career for an LE one? I know many get out after 4-6 years but at 10 I am on the downhill slope. And this seems to be a normal, but has anyone made it this far and went LE? Positives, Negatives? Lessons learned?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Batman
                              I gave up my military career at 20, went on the PD, and just passed 20 there. BS is BS. If you decide to bail, get into the reserves and finish 20, that retirement check goes nice for your house payment.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6787 users online. 243 members and 6544 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X