Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many miles are you allowed to Drive in a shift?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, I had no idea such concepts existed in this profession. Not only do we not have limits, never talked about them, I'v never heard of a dept around these parts like that. I can't believe they would put limits on patrol, thats the mission, to patrol your *** around and stop crimes in progress, prevent crimes with presence, and respond to calls for service.
    Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

I worked in a town of less than 1 square mile and about 2200 people.

There were days where I may log 20 miles, others doing 140. Depended on numerous factors. The days I averaged 120, I was called into the office and questioned how I could do that many miles in one shift. Easy, no calls.

Comment

Since we cover 710 sq miles its kinda hard to have limits!

Comment

Wow, cant believe there are actually departments who have mileage limits....I can put as many or as few as I want, sounds stupid to have limits.
          Last edited by JPSO Recruit; 11-29-2010, 09:36 AM.
          In Memory of A Fallen Hero

Comment

Actually mileage restrictions make sense in a smaller town.

While much of the budget is payroll---------------another large portion is vehicle expense. The smaller jurisdictions need to cut costs where they can.

You can only save so much on paperclips, recycling printer paper, & and salary if the town council wants people on duty.

The OP is in a very small town, with limited budget and a chief who obviously likes to micromanage his department.

If the town doesn't have a big crime problem and the department is basically a fire watch...................it makes sense.

Now ,larger modern departments, ---------------not so much.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

No more than 20 miles per shift. Not like you can drive that many circles before getting a headache.
              I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by creolecop View Post
                Wow, I had no idea such concepts existed in this profession. Not only do we not have limits, never talked about them, I'v never heard of a dept around these parts like that. I can't believe they would put limits on patrol, thats the mission, to patrol your *** around and stop crimes in progress, prevent crimes with presence, and respond to calls for service.
                I'm with Creole. I've never heard of such a concept around here in the south. We have takehome vehicles and our agency takes $65/month from our checks to cover the fuel. For $65 you have a takehome unit that you can use for ANYTHING on or off duty. A lot of our guys don't have POVs, especially if they have an unmarked pickup or SUV.

At our agency it totally depends on what substation you're assigned to as far as milage. I have an 08 Durango and only have 35K miles. I work a dense, urban beat. Guys up north in the rural parts have 80K on thier 08s, all highway miles.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialCitizen View Post
                  We have takehome vehicles and our agency takes $65/month from our checks to cover the fuel. For $65 you have a takehome unit that you can use for ANYTHING on or off duty.
                  Whoa, I didn't know anyone around here was doing that. Don't get me wrong, $65 a month IS a good deal and if they put it on us I'd still take it, but I didn't know anyone our parts had resorted to those measures in light of things. We don't pay anything, have take homes and can use them for anything you want marked or unmarked. All they ask is if in a marked unit have a gun on you (concealed or not) credentials, and if someone approaches you take action. If you have someone in the unit with you atleast secure, or monitor the situation and radio in for an on duty unit. I don't drive off duty a whole lot but I'v never had anyone approach me in my unit off duty needing anything.
                  Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

Nothing on too many miles, but too few will get you in a ringer.

Comment

Originally posted by creolecop View Post
                      Whoa, I didn't know anyone around here was doing that. Don't get me wrong, $65 a month IS a good deal and if they put it on us I'd still take it, but I didn't know anyone our parts had resorted to those measures in light of things. We don't pay anything, have take homes and can use them for anything you want marked or unmarked. All they ask is if in a marked unit have a gun on you (concealed or not) credentials, and if someone approaches you take action. If you have someone in the unit with you atleast secure, or monitor the situation and radio in for an on duty unit. I don't drive off duty a whole lot but I'v never had anyone approach me in my unit off duty needing anything.
                      Yeah our rules are pretty much the same as far as off duty use. But yes, I do have a $65 pre-tax deduction on my second check, which is the same check as state sup so you don't really miss it I guess. I get my education pay on the same one so it kind of equals out.

Comment

We pay $100 a month to use ours, and it's the same restrictions as yours.
                        In Memory of A Fallen Hero

Comment

For us it's asked that we try to keep the mileage around 50 for a 10 hr shift. Of course it also depends on what all happens. Some nights it could be a couple hundred or as few as 6 like it was for me last Sunday (had 5 arrest reports to complete before Monday morning).

Comment

No restriction. City of 400,000. Averaged 75/night in my dense section 8 beat. Now I probably put 100 on it with the new assignment.
                            No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it.
                            -Theodore Roosevelt

The views expressed by this screen name do not represent any civilian,municipal, military, or federal law enforcement agency and are strictly the views of the individual writing. Under no circumstances should someone consider the content of these posts to have anything less than a great deal of sarcasm interlaced throughout. Read at your own risk.

Comment

I was going through some old newspapers and found the following article which was dated July 25, 2001

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

The problem there, as it usually is, lies with the person in the picture on the second page of the article!!!! Hopefully Branstad will at least can her so ILEA won't have to deal with Edith Ann either. That would score a point for him in my book.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5564 users online. 378 members and 5186 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X