Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many miles are you allowed to Drive in a shift?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I average between 150 to 250 miles per shift. I think the most was just above 300 miles and the least was maybe 80 miles, 10 hour shifts.

Comment

My current agency has no mileage restrictions that I am aware of. My prior agency had an unwritten "50 mile" per shift rule. I can see how that may be great for an agency with a small budget and wants to keep cars for years and years and years...but in reality, crime doesnt exactly abide by our restrictions.
      "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
      The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
      sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
      Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Originally posted by FJDave View Post
        My station operations office is talking about the number of miles we stack on our cars per shift. No limits are being talked about, they just want us to try to cut down our mileage and fuel use....get the most out of the cars because it will be quite a while until we get new cars.
        My department is in the same boat. But for now there are no restrictions. The only think I have been told is "get out and find someone to take to jail."

I average 100-150 miles a shift. ~6 sq mi city with a highway running down the middle.

Comment

No limit here. I've never heard of one. But the reality is if your department can't afford gas there's not much you can do except volunteer to fill up the tank yourself. If that's what your chief wants park and bring a magazine or do some foot patrol.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Swan View Post
            how big is this town? We really have no limit average about 150-200 miles in a 8 hour shift but this is with a rural sheriffs department sometimes a call will take 20-30 miles to get to.
            ditto, no limit but I usually end up w/150-200 miles per 8hr shift depending on how much time I have on the road...this is also w/a rural SO in the tx panhandle
            Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

never heard of something like that.
              We can drive as much as needed in order to complete our daily jobs. I'm a cop, not a truck driver.

Comment

Mileage limits are not that uncommon. I know of a nearby department that has a 30 mile per shift limit. (Graveyard shift gets 40 miles.) A nearby sheriff's department has a 60 mile limit. A deputy could use that up driving from one end of the county to the other.
                "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

No upper limit. There was a time when we had a minimum number of miles to put on during a shift (under 100 miles and you had some explaining to do.)

The Wisconsin State Patrol had a 96 mile per shift limit here recently. Not sure if its still in effect though.
                  Originally posted by kontemplerande
                  Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

During the oil crisis of 1979 (and the ensuing gasoline shortage) we were asked to conserve. We did a lot of parking(running radar---foot patrols in the small towns ect)

Back then we had one early car (4-12 county wide), one late car (12-7 county wide) and 4 sector cars(1900-0400) 725 sq miles.........with a city of 250,000

On a quiet night you could conserve.......................on a busy night you couldn't . The sheriff understood that calls for service meant we would drive more.

When you were one of the wild cars.................you had better be doing 120-150 per night with normal patrol..........not to mention calls for service or backup calls.
                    If you were a sector car............80-90 was expected.

Those were taking conservation into account.
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

No restrictions. I average between 150-200 for 10 hours. Less that 100 is frowned upon.
                      Originally posted by Ptlcop
                      If you did so, I'm pretty sure they'd be renaming your city after me, and i'd be hanging your badge on my wall as a testament to how stupid you'd acted.

Comment

No limits here either. We run, bookends included, 20,000 acres all told. Lots of roads on that, and alot of traffic enforcement if you feel like it. I average between 70-100 miles a shift (12 hrs).

Before I left OK, the Highway Patrol there had been choked down to a 100-mile a day limit because of costs/depression setting in. What they had begun doing was creating randon safety checkpoints all shift. We got invited to play quite a few times in my part-time department. This way they let the criminals come to them - they would hook and do all the paperwork and ask us to transport so they didnt run up their miles.
                        Last edited by NOTaSOONERfan; 11-11-2010, 11:40 AM.

Comment

No restrictions here. I will put 150-200 miles a night on a 12 hour shift. and my town is only 4.6 sq miles. LOL.

Comment

We have no limit; I personally average about 50-70 miles per shift in my densely urban beat.

Comment

NO limits here.

Guess we're lucky.

Comment

WTF, over? No limits here...but I'm county, and we cover a lot of ground. It's your dept's call, but hey, you can sit around and run radar, and only respond to calls...if they beef about self initiated activity going down, tell them they can't have their cake and eat it too.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5534 users online. 373 members and 5161 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X