Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many miles are you allowed to Drive in a shift?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAschoolCop
    replied
    Since we cover 710 sq miles its kinda hard to have limits!

Leave a comment:

• Jhelrey
    replied
    I worked in a town of less than 1 square mile and about 2200 people.

There were days where I may log 20 miles, others doing 140. Depended on numerous factors. The days I averaged 120, I was called into the office and questioned how I could do that many miles in one shift. Easy, no calls.

Leave a comment:

• creolecop
    replied
    Wow, I had no idea such concepts existed in this profession. Not only do we not have limits, never talked about them, I'v never heard of a dept around these parts like that. I can't believe they would put limits on patrol, thats the mission, to patrol your *** around and stop crimes in progress, prevent crimes with presence, and respond to calls for service.

Leave a comment:

• RJ-Seattle
    replied
    WTF, over? No limits here...but I'm county, and we cover a lot of ground. It's your dept's call, but hey, you can sit around and run radar, and only respond to calls...if they beef about self initiated activity going down, tell them they can't have their cake and eat it too.

Leave a comment:

• 11b101abn
    replied
    NO limits here.

Guess we're lucky.

Leave a comment:

• Chomp
    replied
    We have no limit; I personally average about 50-70 miles per shift in my densely urban beat.

Leave a comment:

• HoodCop
    replied
    No restrictions here. I will put 150-200 miles a night on a 12 hour shift. and my town is only 4.6 sq miles. LOL.

Leave a comment:

• NOTaSOONERfan
    replied
    No limits here either. We run, bookends included, 20,000 acres all told. Lots of roads on that, and alot of traffic enforcement if you feel like it. I average between 70-100 miles a shift (12 hrs).

Before I left OK, the Highway Patrol there had been choked down to a 100-mile a day limit because of costs/depression setting in. What they had begun doing was creating randon safety checkpoints all shift. We got invited to play quite a few times in my part-time department. This way they let the criminals come to them - they would hook and do all the paperwork and ask us to transport so they didnt run up their miles.
    Last edited by NOTaSOONERfan; 11-11-2010, 11:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CDM
    replied
    No restrictions. I average between 150-200 for 10 hours. Less that 100 is frowned upon.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    During the oil crisis of 1979 (and the ensuing gasoline shortage) we were asked to conserve. We did a lot of parking(running radar---foot patrols in the small towns ect)

Back then we had one early car (4-12 county wide), one late car (12-7 county wide) and 4 sector cars(1900-0400) 725 sq miles.........with a city of 250,000

On a quiet night you could conserve.......................on a busy night you couldn't . The sheriff understood that calls for service meant we would drive more.

When you were one of the wild cars.................you had better be doing 120-150 per night with normal patrol..........not to mention calls for service or backup calls.
    If you were a sector car............80-90 was expected.

Those were taking conservation into account.

Leave a comment:

• SRT936
    replied
    No upper limit. There was a time when we had a minimum number of miles to put on during a shift (under 100 miles and you had some explaining to do.)

The Wisconsin State Patrol had a 96 mile per shift limit here recently. Not sure if its still in effect though.

Leave a comment:

• Badgerland
    replied
    Mileage limits are not that uncommon. I know of a nearby department that has a 30 mile per shift limit. (Graveyard shift gets 40 miles.) A nearby sheriff's department has a 60 mile limit. A deputy could use that up driving from one end of the county to the other.

Leave a comment:

• gunslash
    replied
    never heard of something like that.
    We can drive as much as needed in order to complete our daily jobs. I'm a cop, not a truck driver.

Leave a comment:

• Maverick1701
    replied
    Originally posted by Red Swan View Post
    how big is this town? We really have no limit average about 150-200 miles in a 8 hour shift but this is with a rural sheriffs department sometimes a call will take 20-30 miles to get to.
    ditto, no limit but I usually end up w/150-200 miles per 8hr shift depending on how much time I have on the road...this is also w/a rural SO in the tx panhandle

Leave a comment:

• nobodyjr
    replied
    No limit here. I've never heard of one. But the reality is if your department can't afford gas there's not much you can do except volunteer to fill up the tank yourself. If that's what your chief wants park and bring a magazine or do some foot patrol.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3219 users online. 149 members and 3070 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X