Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many miles are you allowed to Drive in a shift?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many miles are you allowed to Drive in a shift?

So it a new Order has come out that i dont Agree with and im just curious.

How many miles are you allowed to drive?
    We are instructed that we are only allowed to drive 35 miles in 8 hours. That is 4.375 miles in a hour.

I find this completely unreasonable.

Also, The Chief stated this "every police department has a set number of miles your allowed to drive in a shift."

Now to some of you that have read my other threads..
    I am not being disobedient its merely a question. I will some how find a way to limit my driving to 4 miles in a hour.

how big is this town? We really have no limit average about 150-200 miles in a 8 hour shift but this is with a rural sheriffs department sometimes a call will take 20-30 miles to get to.
    "What the problem is?"

Comment

Its not very big.

Mostly im asking if you have a limit to how many miles you have to drive

Comment

No we do not, but alota departments are cutting back due to gas prices cutting into budgets.

Comment

It's not unusual.

At various times over the last 20 yrs or so the Iowa State Patrol has limited its troopers to certain mileage restrictions.

The also mandated the cars be parked with the engine off for a certain percentage of the shift.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

My station operations office is talking about the number of miles we stack on our cars per shift. No limits are being talked about, they just want us to try to cut down our mileage and fuel use....get the most out of the cars because it will be quite a while until we get new cars.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by Smurfette
            Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
            Originally posted by DAL
            You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

No limit on mileage...then again we are less than 1 mile square. We do have to shut off vehicles when parked (this doesn't apply to when we are on a call).

Comment

Wow! Guess we're lucky. No such restrictions.......

Comment

1/2 hour shut-down time per shift.......average about 50-60 miles per 8 hours

Comment

Back in the late 70s- early 80s gas crunch we were limited to, if I recall correctly, 50 miles per shift in a spread out city. Many a night we would be parked in the center of town with very few miles left in our mileage allowance praying we didn't get any calls.

A few years later we would get in trouble if we didn't have 75 miles + on the car at the end of shift.

It all cycles. Realize that gas costs are a variable that can eat into a budget. Do you want them to run out of money and lay people off or cut back on driving?
                    Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

Roughly 300 miles in 12 hours...

Comment

No restrictions. I average about 120 miles/shift. Is your Chief requesting more foot/bike patrols...or is he really wanting you to shut it down?

Comment

80-120 miles in 10 hours, city is 2 square miles. I work deep midnights, so past 3 am, I don't do a whole lot except circle and do neighborhood patrols. During day or evening shifts, my mileage is much lower.

Our chief and deputy chief likes us out there driving around, so I doubt my city would ever consider mileage restrictions under this administration.

Comment

Pretty big city, no mileage restrictions. Never heard of that before...generally if you are driving around more out here, the stripes and bars are happy, because that usually means you are out there actually doing something and being visible.
                            I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

When gas prices were going up my budget took a hit...so I asked the troops to keep the unnecessary traveling to a minimum and also suggested to park and run traffic turned off, if possible. I made it clear that what we saved in gas may make the difference in the next years budget. Small town, I mean small.....dept of 2 full time and a few reserves with not a lot of land to cover.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6530 users online. 340 members and 6190 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X