300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome resource for LE that rivals Accurint for FREE

I just found out about this today. Apparently it is made by the same folks that created Accurint and it actually has a LOT of "deeper" data. The best thing (I know this sounds crazy) is that it is free for law enforcement agencies. I had to fax a copy of my department credentials and verify some information, but I was up and running in about 15 minutes. The level of detail on the information is staggering. I ran my own name and got back all the driver's license numbers I ever had from each state, address history, phone numbers and relatives. It will even pull up vehicles and lienholders on those vehicles. The rep from the company said it will always be 100% free for LE. Address is:
    http://www.tlo.com
    Click the "Sign up now" and fill out the form.
    Last edited by Georgetime; 11-08-2010, 07:44 AM.
    Be dangerous, and unpredictable... and make a lot of noise. - John Bush, Anthrax

I took a look at the site and - to be perfectly frank - it looks less than professionally made (bare minimum info, goofy quotes with no information on what their product does, no company background, etc.). Didn't sign up for the account due to no "About Us" info being available, do you have a link to anything about the company behind TLO so that I can vouch they are legit (and not just a phishing site that collects info from those who registers as members and provides a hacked access to Accurint)?
    sigpic

Comment

I can understand your concerns. I felt the same way when I first saw it. The service apparently is in beta, and they are going to make their money charging other entities for their services. I received the link from an NCIS agent who vouched for it. It is not merely a "hacked Accurint", which if you've seen the authentication method for Accurint you'd agree is pretty much impossible. My department pays for Accurint and I've used it, it has a LOT more information than Accurint, to include email addresses and criminal histories, all for free. The format for the reports is similar to Accurint because the site is run by the guy who started Accurint. Could it be a phishing site? I guess it's possible, although the only personal information I gave them is my name, agency, office phone number and copy of my credentials. In other words, less information than I'd have to give to Galls to order a police polo. I didn't even have to give them a credit card, which is why I trust it. I'm required to show my police ID to citizens and my business card has all the information I gave to the site, so I'm not terribly worried about them doing anything nefarious with it. I admit I was somewhat skeptical of a "free" service, but when I saw the comprehensive report that listed vehicles with VIN number and lienholders, possible email addresses and even cell phone numbers, I was convinced. Bear in mind it's only free to verified LE, I am sure they are going to charge a pretty penny for the general public to access it, and they are going to restrict the information that is available to non LE personnel. The rep from the company called right away, sounded very professional and directed me to the user manual at the top of the screen and said to call if there were any questions. Of course I did a trial run on some family members and found the service to be VERY accurate, even got some unlisted phone numbers of some local bad guys.

I am as skeptical as the next cop, but I'm also very well versed in the internet and what does and does not constitute a phishing site. Personally I understand your reticence, but I am here to tell you it's unfounded. I could even email you screen shots of the interface and a PDF of one of the reports if you like, just send me a PM.

Bottom line is it is no skin off my nose if nobody takes advantage, I'm just always looking for as many good tools as I can find and I like to empower other cops with the same. I could just as easily not tell anyone else, but in my mind if something like this gets even one more "Adam Henry" criminal off the street, then so much the better.

Personally this service is so good that if it was up to me we'd ditch Accurint and save however much it is they charge us and go with TLO.
      Last edited by Georgetime; 11-08-2010, 12:29 PM.
      Be dangerous, and unpredictable... and make a lot of noise. - John Bush, Anthrax

Comment

Here is more information about the company and the founder:
        https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...iki/Hank_Asher
        http://vator.tv/company/tlo

It looks like TLO is going to be Accurint on steroids and a lot more, as the email I received from the NCIS guy attested to. Anyway, here is what the interface looks like.

Last edited by Georgetime; 11-08-2010, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Georgetime View Post
          The service apparently is in beta, and they are going to make their money charging other entities for their services.
          Just sent you a PM, thanks for the feedback. If it's a beta that may explain why their site isn't up to par, as that may be corrected once the final version is up and running.

I notice that John Walsh of America's Most Wanted is listed as a founder, which definitely lends credibility.
          Last edited by Kimble; 11-08-2010, 12:48 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Just sent you a PM, thanks for the feedback.
            No problem brotha... One thing to bear in mind though, if you are the first person for your agency to sign up they are going to make you the administrator and are probably going to get around to calling your agency head to check you out. So if you've got the kind of boss that would not appreciate you doing things on your own like this you might want to give them a heads up before you try it. I am good on that front, and now I am the agency admin, so I can add more users to the system and even make more administrators for my agency if needed.

Comment

Here is news story about the site and what the people behind it are about.
              http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localne...0314asher.html

Comment

Originally posted by Georgetime View Post
                No problem brotha... One thing to bear in mind though, if you are the first person for your agency to sign up they are going to make you the administrator and are probably going to get around to calling your agency head to check you out. So if you've got the kind of boss that would not appreciate you doing things on your own like this you might want to give them a heads up before you try it. I am good on that front, and now I am the agency admin, so I can add more users to the system and even make more administrators for my agency if needed.
                *nod* Advises that one MUST BE a supervisory officer to sign up for the service.
                An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

Been digging around a litte about this site. So far it appears legit. Might be onto something here. Thanks Georgetime!
                  sigpic
                  Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                  And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Been digging around a litte about this site. So far it appears legit. Might be onto something here. Thanks Georgetime!
                    No problem. The more cops that know about this, the better!

Comment

We just got our TLO account up and running. So far so good, but I still prefer using MOCIC.
                      Originally posted by kontemplerande
                      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

I want to thank the Op for showing us this system. Being from a dirt poor department we have never had Accuint or anything else. I just completed my final stages of sign-up but have not used the site yet. Other than scheduling the confirmation and having the chief available the confirmation went smoothly. I have not used the site yet, and have never seen Accurint, so I cannot tell you how well it works, but the site was free, so whatever we get out of it will be advantagous.

Comment

Originally posted by RicRandom View Post
                          I want to thank the Op for showing us this system. Being from a dirt poor department we have never had Accuint or anything else. I just completed my final stages of sign-up but have not used the site yet. Other than scheduling the confirmation and having the chief available the confirmation went smoothly. I have not used the site yet, and have never seen Accurint, so I cannot tell you how well it works, but the site was free, so whatever we get out of it will be advantagous.
                          Glad to do it. I have always been a big believer in disseminating as many tools as possible to as many cops as possible. It's all about putting the bad guy behind bars. I just can't believe it's free. We have Accurint at my agency, but to be honest I prefer TLO over Accurint. The interface is easier and I've run comparison searches of the same suspect over both systems and get back more with TLO than with Accurint. I'm working a theft case right now and I actually got an email address back (which is instrumental to the case) off TLO that was not found in Accurint. I am glad to know people are getting on board. Now if only we could find a free alternative to Leads Online, we'd be golden!

Comment

Ok, I've been up an running on TLO for a couple weeks now so I'll post a quick review.

First up, it works fantastic. When I got my first subject run from TLO, I thought, "This is exactly the same as I get from Accurint." But as I dug through the report (28 pages on a 21 year old female), I began to realize that while many of the features are the same as Accurint, they do dig a little deeper on some details. The vehicle info, for example, is much more in depth.

In the end, its a slightly improved version of Accurint with one major plus side, its free to LE.
                            Originally posted by kontemplerande
                            Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Just got hooked up. Great customer service and very LE friendly. I hear that the person that started this originally owned Accurint and when he sold it the deal was for it to be free to LE. When the new owners renigged on the deal he then started TLO. Doesn't really matter as long as the info gets to us. Thanks again G.
                              "You can't handcuff me, I'm a college graduate!"
                              (Smurfette)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6635 users online. 347 members and 6288 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X