300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like I'll be resigning

I am with a very small department (less than 25) in a very small town and I have had it with the politics and corruption.

A LT and Sgt got caught falsifying documents after losing drug evidence and lied to the DA. As punishment, they got 6 month demotions (rank only, no loss of pay) and were recently returned to their rank. While demoted, the Lt (supposed to be Sgt) refused to wear his stripes, wrote himself in on his time card for times he was not there, would drive his city vehicle to his kid's little league games (on the clock, 10-8) and not answer calls or be in uniform, went out on the radio at a wedding while only one of his officers were en route to a large fight, etc. The chief knew all about this yet did nothing.

Earlier this year, an officer left the dept and moved away for about 6 months. Due to him being best friends with one of the brass, when he came back, he was given all his old equipment, including a brand new smart phone. This wouldn't be a big deal if other patrolmen were given phones, too, and if the Sgt's, who are issued phones, had ones even half as good as his smart phone (the one my Sgt is issued isn't even made anymore). He was also caught driving his car out of county, off duty, rather than leaving it at the county line per sop. Word got to the mayor, which prompted the city to say no more cars being taken to the line for those of us who live out of county. In response, the officer turned in his two weeks notice, recending it a week later in exchange for a promise of promotion to corporal from the chief.
    Also, the day the new car rule came down, I met with the chief, capt, patrol Lt, and my Sgt about me losing my to-the-line car, knowing it wouldn't change the policy but wanting to voice my opinion of our 'one person screws up, we all get punished' policy. Well, one of the above (don't think it was my Sgt or the chief, not sure about the other two) told the officer/Cpl and several others that I went into the office and b----ed until they took away the other guy's car, apparently not knowing I had lost mine, too. I'm now blackballed in my own department for something I did not do.

The chief will also call an officer a liar if they disagree with a complaint made by a citizen, will dismiss tickets without talking to the officer (though state law says only the writer and judge can do this), reduce DUI's to reckless driving, and OR people just because of who their family is, regardless of what they did.
    I arrested a girl on a Sunday for suspended license, he OR'ed her because her grandfather's brother is a semi-big wig in the county, and she was arrested again by my Sgt on Fri for the same charge after she caused an accident and was again OR'ed. The other driver was also suspended, thus also taken to jail, but was not OR'ed and even plead guilty in court without knowing the girl's charges had been dropped...twice.

The sad thing is, this isn't even half of the stuff that has happened in the past few months but it gives you a picture of what I am dealing it. I feel like I am compromising my morals by working there and I can't stand for that. I have only been a LEO for a year and know the economy sucks, but I am blessed with my family owning a business where I can work until I find a new LE job and I am only 3 classes away from being able to apply to nursing school if I choose. I'm sorry this was such a long post, but I am frustrated, sad, disillusioned, and at my wits end. Please give me advice and encouragement if you can!
    Originally posted by Ceridwen
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

The DA here would have prosecuted for the falsifying and lying to cover. Sounds like things are screwed up in more than one entity involved. If so, you may be making the best decision to leave on your own terms. Just know unless something changes, you may find it difficult to re-enter later down the road.

Comment

Something else to remember is that the same corrupt individuals whom you work under now will also be the same corrupt individuals that your future background investigator will speak to. You may know that they are dirty and immoral, but they might be able to fool the background investigator and give you a poor reference. I just don't want you to leave your current position on poor terms and never get another LE job again due to a bad reference.
      "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

In Calif they would have been prosecuted, and at the VERY minimum, once they were found liable in an IA investigation they would NEVER be a police officer in the state (Brady issues). Sad that they are allowed to return to full duty.

I'd listen to Badger...good advice.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by Smurfette
        Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
        Originally posted by DAL
        You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Maybe what you say is true, maybe it's not. Officers don't always know the whole story. I've been around long enough to know that some depts are very poorly run. I also know that some officers see a conspiracy theory behind every tree. That said, if you feel you need to leave, you need to leave on your terms. Figure out what you have to do to make peace and bide your time until another job comes up. Assuming what you say is true, I think it is also safe to say that your former employer is going to say that you are the guy who couldn't get with the program, couldn't follow policies, etc., and resigned before he got fired. If corruption is taking place, does GBI need to be involved? Based on your first sentence, we'd have two vacancies and a prosecutor looking at criminal charges.

Comment

Don't think big PDs are immune from this crap---I could top ANY of your complaints! Think twice before you do this as the grass isn't always greener on the other side......

Comment

Small rural departments sometimes get to relax, go under trained in everything, politics creep up, and they can become a bit of a mess.

Comment

Since you asked for advice here is my 2c: you're about to make a huge mistake. We (cops) like to be in charge. We have to be on patrol. However, I've seen too many cops quit their jobs, get divorced, etc. because they laid down an ultimatum and wouldn't back down. That really sounds like what you're doing here: things are going badly so you're out of there. You've decided that since you don't like what's going on (for good reason) you're going to take action against it. However, you're not punishing them, you're punishing yourself by making a life-changing decision at a time you're at your absolute worst.

It may seem like it will be easy to get hired somewhere else, but as mentioned by others above leaving on bad terms at all is going to count against you. Added to this is the fact that right now hundreds of cops are losing their jobs due to the economy you might find yourself out on the street delivering pizza (if you're lucky). You may not ever get hired again.

Imagine if you're 3 months down the road and you have no job because no one is hiring. Your bills are stacking up and you can't pay them. In that situation you would kill to go back in time and get your old job back, bad parts and all.

In my experience the cops who make it to retirement fall in 2 categories: those with 3 divorces under their belt who can't afford to quit and those of us who have made peace with the fact that the job, admin, and co-workers often suck, but we do it anyway. As I see it, the only way to live happily ever after is to do the second option.

Comment

You can't control what other people do. Do your job right, and find a different one before you quit.

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop View Post
                    Don't think big PDs are immune from this crap---I could top ANY of your complaints! Think twice before you do this as the grass isn't always greener on the other side......
                    I couldn't have said it better myself!

I think you are making a huge mistake. Do your job right and lawfully. Apply, apply, apply until you get hired elsewhere. If L.E. is your passion and you quit your job, you may never work in L.E. again. You will be sorry.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                      Maybe what you say is true, maybe it's not. Officers don't always know the whole story. I've been around long enough to know that some depts are very poorly run. I also know that some officers see a conspiracy theory behind every tree. That said, if you feel you need to leave, you need to leave on your terms. Figure out what you have to do to make peace and bide your time until another job comes up. Assuming what you say is true, I think it is also safe to say that your former employer is going to say that you are the guy who couldn't get with the program, couldn't follow policies, etc., and resigned before he got fired. If corruption is taking place, does GBI need to be involved? Based on your first sentence, we'd have two vacancies and a prosecutor looking at criminal charges.
                      Originally posted by MPDCjock View Post
                      I couldn't have said it better myself! I think you are making a huge mistake. Do your job right and lawfully. Apply, apply, apply until you get hired elsewhere. If L.E. is your passion and you quit your job, you may never work in L.E. again. You will be sorry.Good luck in whatever you decide!
                      I am torn between agreeing with one of these answers.

First of all only you know how much you are willing to take before you leave your current position.

At the end of the day justjoe is correct when he talks of how your current employer is going to call “sour grapes” when he talks about you to prospective employers. Remember that the chief is the chief and that title will mean a lot if questioned by a Background Investigator for another department. I will almost guarantee that you will be made the bad guy.

Second…….MPDCjock is correct that you should try to have a job lined up before you resign if at all possible.

Blacklisting and Blackballing is practiced In this profession. All I (as say a police supervisor) has to do to keep you from getting hired at Agency X is the the BI something like--------------------

“Well Officer J did his job. He didn’t get along with most of his squad, had trouble with the way we assigned sectors and equipment, and…………………………well, he often came in the office to complain about how others performed their jobs and that includes command staff .

Don’t get me wrong, Officer J followed all policies, has no disciplinary issues, but ………………he just isn’t a team player”

That statement is 100% true according to the original post you made…………………..just a different take on the same information. A prospective chief will run like the wind from you.

Again---------only you know how much crap you are willing to take and for how long.

It also sounds like your commitment to working as a LEO isn’t as strong as some of the others on this forum. You have other options and maybe -----just maybe you should exercise those options.

Your call.

Originally posted by jakflak View Post
                      and those of us who have made peace with the fact that the job, admin, and co-workers often suck, but we do it anyway. As I see it, the only way to live happily ever after is to do the second option.
                      How true
                      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 10-12-2010, 11:01 AM.
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I think you are in quite the pickle.

Some people gave good advice. Personally I would stick it out as long as I possibly could while looking for another LEO job.

Leaving a "dirty department" and being out of Law Enforcement for some time could raise red flags for a BI... whether justified or not. Badger made some good points.

Comment

Hey guys,
                          Thank you for all of the advice and opinions, it is exactly what I'm looking for. I was planning on trying to leave on as good of terms as possible at the end of the month but think I will try to stick it out for a little bit longer. I am still going to send out apps like mad, though. I figure at the worst I can work till the end of the year then switch to a reserve spot at one of two dept that have offered that position to me and go back to school full time. I really want to stay in LE and know no other job offers the freedom and satisfaction that being on patrol does but hopefully getting my masters will allow me to be more marketable to departments that are more selective and in areas I want to go. Thank you all again!
                          Originally posted by Ceridwen
                          Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

With only 1 year, if that under your belt, you won't be very marketable. Even with the degree. I would stay where you are at, suck it up for a few more years until your ears are not wet any longer and keep at the applications/school in the meantime. If you leave now, other agencies will ask why, what are you going to tell them? What you just blasted all over this forum? If you truely believe LE is for you, do your agency and the city that you work and protect and do the best you can at your job, learn it, live it and strive to be the best. If that doesn't satify you, then LE isn't for you. Not everyone is cut out for LE and after one year, you seem burned out. Best of luck.
                            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak View Post
                              In my experience the cops who make it to retirement fall in 2 categories: those with 3 divorces under their belt who can't afford to quit and those of us who have made peace with the fact that the job, admin, and co-workers often suck, but we do it anyway. As I see it, the only way to live happily ever after is to do the second option.
                              Lots of truth there .... but just so the OP knows, not every department is such a hell hole. I didn't agree with some stuff, saw some poor management, but nothing anywhere near as bad as described here and nothing criminal that didn't get prosecuted.

Staying 31 was really ....
                              .... easy now that I look back.
                              Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 10-12-2010, 06:11 PM.
                              "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10844 users online. 382 members and 10462 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X