Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boots. 8"? 6"? Zipper? Material?

I know, ANOTHER thread asking about boots but i'm new and lost. I apologize

On my quest for boots, I have a few questions. Before I can begin to narrow down my choices, i'm assuming I should decide on if I want 6 or 8 inch, a zipper or no zipper, and type of material. Anybody have any input into why those chose which?

Winter is around the corner which means slushly new york city streets so i'd like something with good traction and waterproof. I'm also assuming the lighter the better. Anybody have any input?

Danner Acadia's have served me very well so far. No zipper, and they're not the lightest. When you're chasing the bad guy they seem quite light though. They are also waterproof up to the top and are supposed to last a very long time. I've been very happy with mine.

Comment

Danner is the way to go.

I have Danner Striker II with the side zipper. They are leather, warm, waterproof all the way up to the 8" top. Very recommended from the frozen tundra...

Comment

I have Original Swat boots with the long zipper on the side (I think they're the Classic 9" Side zip, but I threw the box away 2 years ago and can't confirm). I've heard some guys complain about zippers on boots breaking, but I've never had an issue.

I do a fair amount of running in my boots as well, and while they're heavy, it's not an issue. There's a LOT of stability in the ankles which I like especially when running in turns and walking on slopes.

Lots of traction on almost all surfaces, but I've never worn them in icy conditions.

Comment

Sure you can drop $250.00 on a pair of Danner Arcadia's or check out Bate's 8" sidezip Durashocks for $84.00. I'm on pair 3 of the Bates and I WILL never buy a different boot.

One thing to keep in mind about a boot is if the sole of the boot is sewn on or glued on. Sewn on soles last longer, and have less chance of separating from the boot. Not only that but if the leather is in good shape, you can take the sewn soled boot to a reputable boot and shoe shop to have it resoled every couple of years. Glued not so much.
          Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
          I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
          Originally posted by weinerdog2000
          as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

Zipper? WhoTF needs a zipper on boots?
            Last edited by reils49; 09-26-2010, 03:15 PM.
            I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

I like 8 inch with zipper, but that is me.

Comment

I wear Converse 8" with a zipper. They are close to wearing athletic shoes and are almost broke in when you put them on. The ones I get are thru Quarter Master for $85 to $89 and have been long lasting for me.

Comment

just curious, why did you guys choose 8 inch over 6 inch? and why the zipper?

I get the advantages (larger puddles and easier on/off), but how often do you find yourself standing in a puddle thats 2 inches taller than the 6 inches and need to take them on/off quickly? Or are there other reasons?

Comment

I like the Oakley boots. Feel like running shoes and work great. Will run you $105 from www.usstandardissue.com You can also order sunglasses and other stuff throught them for almost at cost.

Comment

Originally posted by options open View Post
                      just curious, why did you guys choose 8 inch over 6 inch? and why the zipper?

I get the advantages (larger puddles and easier on/off), but how often do you find yourself standing in a puddle thats 2 inches taller than the 6 inches and need to take them on/off quickly? Or are there other reasons?
                      I prefer 8" zippered.

I work much of the time in BDUs, which means my pant legs need to be either bloused or tucked into the boots. It's far easier to tuck pant legs into a 8" boot(10" is even easier) than a 6" boot. Plus, taller boot likely means greater ankle support and lower shin protection, for those of us that might need it.

Zippered...because when it's 0030 after a 16 hour shift and I'm looking having to be back to work at 0800, the last thing I want to do is waste sleep-time playing with laces and struggling to get my boots off.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                        Zipper? WhoTF needs a zipper on boots?
                        Trust me, once you've tried the zipper you'll never go back to laces. It's the difference between getting your boots on in 2 minutes and getting them on in less than 10 seconds. Of course, I'm always on call so getting ready in a hurry is a must (I get called out of bed at least twice a week); I imagine shift work makes them not as necessary.

It's like a leatherman: you didn't need it until you had it, and now you can't remember how you lived before you got it.

I look for 4 things in a boot: zipper (above), waterproof to the top, warmth (I work where it's very cold) and comfort. If I worked in your neck of the woods I'd likely go for one of the running shoe/duty boot crossovers.
                        Last edited by jakflak; 09-27-2010, 06:47 AM. Reason: Double post

Comment

Double post...this is why us blonds shouldn't use computers.

Comment

I'll keep my Danner Ft. Lewis 10". Not fond of the zipper.....but I do like a nice spit shine
                            I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

do the boots stay waterproof with the zipper? I feel like moisture would get in easily through the zipper teeth.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6481 users online. 376 members and 6105 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X