300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comp Time

What is your department's criteria for earning compensatory time? In Cleveland, it's become somewhat hard to accrue comp time. We only get it for FTOing a rookie (which I won't be able to do for several years), working holidays, and being part of the ceremony detail or pipes and drums. There might be a few other ways but these are the main ones that I know about.

Does your department allow you to pick between being paid OT or rolling it into comp time?

Is there a cap on how much comp time you can earn?
    The only time you can have too much ammunition is when you're swimming or on fire

Comp time for us goes like this:

During the beginning on the fiscal year: No OT paid for court time, travel time, only emergency shift extension. Everything gets banked as comp time. OT budget in my agency is small.

We do have the option if we don't want to get paid os OT we can turn it into comp time. We can have up to 120 hours of comp time bank. The chief staff generaly does not like that however.

Comment

our cap is 450 hrs

From my understanding if you work your entire vacation it does straight to your comp bank...

If you do more than 20 hrs OT in a month 8 of it goes to your comp.

Comment

Any overtime can be taken as comp time or pay.
        For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by jeffIL View Post
          Any overtime can be taken as comp time or pay.

Same with us. Although, the dept has been cutting our paid o/t over the last few months. Most o/t right now is comp time only. Depending what unit you're at. Our comp time cap is 480 hrs.

Comment

No OT here. We get comp time only at straight time. Not sure on the hour cap. Ours has the some magic and mysterious way of disappearing.
            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by j706 View Post
              No OT here. We get comp time only at straight time. Not sure on the hour cap. Ours has the some magic and mysterious way of disappearing.

How is that legal?
              For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

We get our choice in money or comp time, both at time and a half as long as we've worked over 80 hours in the 2 week pay period. They were trying to cap it at 120 hours in accrued comp or something like that, but we said no thanks to that contract.

Comment

Ya we get all OT in comp time now...no choice. If we get over 480 hrs they have to pay cash. However there is an order out that requires any officer with over 250 hrs in the bank to take time off so as not to get too many hrs.
                  "For he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer." Romans 13:4

Comment

We are alloted a total of 86 hrs a pay period at straight time. Anything after that is comp at time and a half. The max anyone can earn is 480. I will be at 450 comp hrs this paycheck, so 30 more and they will have to start paying me the extra hours.

The county cannot pay-off the 480 to zero out am employee at their will.
                    "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

Comment

Wow, seems like we kinda get the shaft when it comes to earning comp time. I wish we could choose between OT and comp time!!!
                      The only time you can have too much ammunition is when you're swimming or on fire

Comment

I think that some of you need to look at the federal wage and hour laws.

The first 8 hours of OT you have the option of pay or comp. After that the boss gets to decide. Police pay is based on a 43 hour work week vs. 40 for the real world.

I once worked for a small City that would try to make us believe things that weren't exactly right.

Choose your battles wisely.
                        ROLL TIDE!!!

Comment

We get comp time, hour for hour (no time and a half.) No option for OT pay. There isn't really a limit on how much you can bank, but they try to keep you under 80 hours, because once you hit that, they have to start paying time and a half comp. They are supposed to make you take off if you get close to that, but it doesn't really happen. I have about 200 hours of comp. They make us use holidays first, since you lose them if you don't use them during that calendar year, then you have to burn your comp before you can take annual leave. This basically means I NEVER take annual unless I'm close to my annual cap (it changes with the amount of time on you have, I think my current cap is 540). Anyway, if I get close to that cap, I'll take some annual, because once you reach it, you start losing annual leave every month.

Comment

we pay on a 28 day pay period, anything from 168-171 hours is straight time, anything over that is overtime, and they get paid for it.....comp time isn't worth the trouble.....just pay for it, and everyone is happy
                            called out by member SOI on 04-19-2010 and he didn't back it up..

Comment

We can take overtime in "time" or in cash. Additionally, if you work in a chart with steady days off, you get an extra 18 "chart days" in addition to your 27 vacation days.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6471 users online. 338 members and 6133 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X